Technical Advisor, Health Financing
Technical Advisor, Health Financing
- Full Time
- Program (Division)
- Country Programs - India
The Clinton Health Access Initiative, Inc. (CHAI) is a global health organization committed to saving lives and reducing the burden of disease in low-and middle-income countries, while strengthening the capabilities of governments and the private sector in those countries to create and sustain high-quality health systems that can succeed without our assistance. For more information, please visit: http://www.clintonhealthaccess.org
CHAI, in partnership with its India affiliate William J Clinton Foundation (WJCF), works in close partnership with and under the guidance of the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare (MoHFW) at the Central and States' levels on an array of high priority initiatives aimed at improving health outcomes. Currently, CHAI works across projects to expand access to quality care and treatment for HIV/AIDS, Hepatitis-C (HCV), tuberculosis, cancer, and immunization.
CHAI’s Health Financing program supports governments implementing reforms towards the goal of universal health coverage; ensuring that patients can access the care they need without suffering financial hardship. In India, CHAI staff work closely with the National Health Authority (NHA) and State Health Agencies (SHAs) in three states to build capacity for and support evidence-based decision making in the design and implementation of AB-PMJAY. At the request of government leadership, CHAI is expanding engagement to Madhya Pradesh to strengthen implementation of the scheme. Our approach is focused on support to three key areas – i) the implementation of core insurance operations, supported by ii) a robust performance management system that is informed by iii) a culture of routine insurance (provider, claims and enrolment) and health data use. This includes using evidence to identify gaps in access and delivery of services, and supporting the SHA to finance and reliably deliver services through public and private sector.
The successful candidate will deliver direct technical assistance and build technical capacity (skills, knowledge and processes) to the Madhya Pradesh SHA staff related to core insurance operations, such as beneficiary identification and enrolment, claims processing, fraud management, provider empanelment and management and grievance redressal. They will work in collaboration with CHAI and other institutional partners to create a learning and capacity building ecosystem through day-to-day engagements, mentorship and formal training, as well as support knowledge sharing efforts on insurance implementation between center and states.
We are seeking a highly motivated individual with outstanding credentials, technical skills, strategic thinking and communication skills to help shape the health financing program in Madhya Pradesh. The candidate must be able to function independently and flexibly and have a strong commitment to excellence.
- Identify and create demand for support on core insurance operations, performance management and evidence use, working with SHA leadership to articulate this need
- Work closely with CHAI program lead and MP project manager to refine and expand the program strategy, develop and deliver on develop clear operational plans for execution
- Identify central and state capacities and needs in areas insurance implementation and performance management, including enrolment, empanelment, claims and fraud management
- Provide direct technical assistance to SHA and state level partners to identify priority challenges in core operations, synthesize evidence, design strategies for iterative improvement, implement and test outcomes. Facilitate input from key experts and practitioners from CHAI and local partners.
- Develop innovative approaches to capacity building, ensuring skills transfer and government ownership in all projects
- Work with CHAI program lead to organize and facilitate learning exchange meetings, workshops and trainings for practitioner to practitioner exchange, to strengthen capacity and knowledge sharing on priority technical topics
- Contribute to the writing and editing of reports, presentations and policy briefs on related topics as necessary. Participate in meetings, technical working groups and conferences as required
- Participate in meetings with SHA leadership and key counterparts to discuss and report on progress of work
- Establish and maintain effective and collaborative working relationships and engagement with CHAI India and global teams, local institutional partners, and technical/academic institutions at national and state levels, and ensure maximum coordination of resources and effort
- Other responsibilities as needed
- Postgraduate degree in Health Systems, Health Insurance, Health Economics, Health Administration or a closely related field
- 7+ years of relevant experience in insurance implementation and insurance operations in public or private sector. Experience in India is an advantage
- Demonstrated experience engaging with governments at national and local levels
- Excellent analytical (qualitative and quantitative) skills and communication (written and verbal) skills
- Demonstrated experience working in complex multi-stakeholder environments
- Established track record of preparing high-quality technical reports, training materials and presentations
- Entrepreneurial mind-set, including ability to work independently, self-motivate, and propose and implement new initiatives
- Ability to think strategically, handle ambiguity, and problem solve in a fast-paced, limited-structure environment