Juba, Bor (SSD)
Minimum age: 25 years old. Nationals of the country of assignment are not eligible, except the assignments in Headquarters duty stations.Description of task
Under the direct supervision of the Project Manager and/or in close coordination with the State Engineer, Engineering Section, the UNV Project Engineer (Civil Engineer) is responsible for the following duties:
- Apply commonly used engineering calculations, practices and precedents in completing portions of larger projects related to the design, construction, or repair of buildings, roads, bridges, airfields, helipads, railways, docks, waste disposal systems, and other related structures and activities in the field.
- Plan and design specifications for projects.
- Prepare BOQ, cost estimates, drawings, Statement of Works (SOW), technical specifications and bidding documents for both in-house/outsourced Mission engineering projects.
- Undertake frequent site visits to monitor the project activities and advise on technical matters.
- Conduct Technical Evaluation of Bids and prepare Technical Evaluation Reports for projects.
- Represent on behalf of operational unit on Local Committee on Contracts (LCC) and Headquarters Committee on Contracts (HCC) giving responses to technical matters.
- Develop technical data regarding materials, sizes, dimensions, and quantities and costs to be incorporated in formal specifications.
- Estimate costs of repairs of damaged buildings, facilities and systems to determine feasibility of repairs or replacement.
- Liaise with other engineers and Mission specialists responsible for related specialized phases to arrive at mutually satisfactory approaches to problems by exchanging and comparing data.
- Conduct investigations to develop improved designs and construction techniques.
- Produce cost data and estimates on engineering-related requirements of current and planned field missions.
- Liaise with Procurement Section on the status of engineering solicitation.
- Analyze project proposals to ensure technical feasibility and that project objectives are attainable within prescribed resources.
- Update the project DASH board on weekly basis and report to unit heads.
- Identify all routine engineering operational requirements within Engineering Section; preparing; implementing; and controlling appropriate methods to cater for them, ensuring optimal utilization of available resources in order to provide engineering project management support to Mission clients and Field Locations.
- Monitor, review, and coordinate project design and construction in Engineering Operations and work with Field Engineers in Project Management and reporting of all on-going Mission Priority Projects within the Mission.
- Maintain accurate project records and files.
- Perform other duties of a similar nature or level as requested by the State Engineer.
- Travel to various locations in the area of operations to plan and monitor road work maintenance and repairs.
- Provide coaching, mentoring and on-the-job training to national personnel;
- Perform other related duties as required.
- Degree in civil or structural engineering from an accredited and internationally or nationally recognized university;
- Registered Engineer with an internationally recognised body is desirable.
- Three years of active professional experience with consulting architects/engineers and international construction business;
- Project management experience;
- Experience in a multi-national organisational environment is desirable;
- Strong interpersonal skills, and ability to prioritise tasks and handle confidential and sensitive material with discretion;
- Have a valid driver’s license and proven ability to drive a manual 4x4 vehicle.
- English(Mandatory), Level - Fluent
- Solid computer skills in MS Office applications (Excel, Word etc);
- Proficiency in AutoCad;
- Microsoft Project;
- Prince 2 or PMP Certification is desirable.
Commitment and Motivation, Commitment to Continuous Learning, Communication, Integrity, Planning and Organizing, Working in TeamsApplication procedure:
* Not yet registered in the UNV Talent Pool?
Please first register your profile at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/signup. Important: After creating your account, complete all sections
of your profile and submit it. Then go to ‘My Page’ at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/mypage and click on the ‘Special Calls’ hyperlink.
Lastly, select the special call to which you would like to apply.
* Already registered in the UNV Talent Pool?
Please first update your profile at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/profile. Then go to ‘My Page’ at
https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/mypage and click on the ‘Special Calls’ hyperlink to select the special call to which you would like to
Application deadline: 08 March 2021