WPE Learning Advisor
The IRC has been working in Uganda since 1998 supporting IDPs, refugees and various institutions in the country notably the government, community based organizations, the civil society and the private sector. The current program portfolio in Uganda includes health, economic recovery and development, protection, and prevention and response to gender-based violence (GBV). IRC has its country office in Kampala and works in Kampala/Urban, Yumbe/Bidibidi, Arua/Imvepi and Rhino camp, Kitgum, Moroto and Kyegegwa/Kyaka.
The Women’s Protection and Empowerment (WPE) Learning Advisor will capture learning from implementation of two innovative WPE projects being piloted in Uganda: the Listen Up Project (80%) and Early Marriage Adolescent Girls Project (20%).
The Listen Up Project aims to amplify the voices and power of refugee and host community women and girls to catalyze institutional reform, interagency action, and increased resources to reduce Sexual Harassment and Exploitation and Abuse (SEA) of women and girls in humanitarian settings. This women’s movement building approach to Prevent sexual harassment and SEA is the primary focus of this role at 80% of activities.
The second project is the Early Marriage project which aims to build the capacity of global humanitarian actors to support, protect and empower adolescent girls in crisis from early marriage and other forms of gender-based violence. This is the secondary focus of this role at 20% of activities.
This position will directly support IRC Uganda WPE program staff implementing the Listen Up and Early Marriage projects and work closely with global project leads in the Violence Prevention and Response Unit (VPRU) who will provide technical support on different aspects of pilot activities.
Duties and Responsibilities
Early Marriage Project Responsibilities (20%)
- Act as the focal point in IRC Uganda WPE team for the Early Marriage Project pilot activities in Bidibidi settlement;
- Participate in review of Early Marriage guidance and remote training content Engage in weekly calls with the Adolescent Girls Specialist and participate in global project team monthly calls
- Provide regular updates and feedback from the Early Marriage field testing to help inform tool revisions
- Oversee the collection of M&E data related to the Early Marriage Project
- Provide updates on capacity building needs of the team
Listen Up Project Responsibilities (80%)
Global Learning and Accountability Activities
- Actively participate in Listen Up project team with global and national IRC staff from WPE, Gender Equality, Policy and Advocacy teams and share learning from Uganda;
- Support the global Listen Up WPE Project Lead to organize and facilitate quarterly webinars with the Listen Up Advisory Group to inform project learning;
- Participate in regular technical support sessions with the global Listen Up project lead and IRC Uganda WPE Coordinator to strengthen the project’s women’s movement building approach to Sexual harassment and sexual exploitation and abuse;
- Engage with the global Listen Up WPE Project Lead and VPRU M&E Advisor to develop tools to capture learning in Bidibidi
- Write, and contribute to, external facing project learning briefs and communications
Partner Management and External Representation
- Establish and maintain close working relationships with internal and external contacts including UNHCR, the Office of the Prime Minister, Resident Coordinator, local authorities and other agencies doing work on PSHEA
- Manage the partnership with the women’s rights organization coordination and communication with partners, review reports from partners etc
- Coordinate with Kampala based women’s rights networks and organization to strengthen their influence and thought leadership within the project
Support Piloting of the Women’s Movement Building Approach
- Support the Listen Up WPE Project Manager and team to reflect on 2 approach to women’s movement building in Bidibidi settlement;
- Solicit ongoing feedback from women’s leaders, women’s rights organizations provided with cash awards, women@work in emergencies network and PSEA Focal point network participants to refine project activities;
Support Piloting of the Platform for Action
- Support the roll out of the digital Platform for Action with project partners
- Develop tools to measure effectiveness of platform with support from global Listen Up project lead and VPRU M&E Advisor
- Support implementation of curriculum on prevention of SH and SEA
- Support in person and remote technical support and mentoring to partners and IRC team facilitators on Get Moving curriculum on prevention of SEA and sexual harassment of Get Moving Curriculum
- Work with partners and IRC teams to capture ongoing learning, successes and challenges, through online surveys, one-on-one interviews with senior managers and focus group discussions with staff
- Support in organizing and co-facilitating global online ToTs for Get Moving
- Promote the Get Moving approach through local coordination and promote uptake by other humanitarian and development actors at the national, regional and global level;
- Oversee field M&E processes, including a pre- and post-training test, an organizational survey, one-on-one interviews with senior managers and focus group discussions with staff
- Provide on-going remote and in-person technical support, and mentorship to partners in Yumbe/Kampala in rolling out trainings to partners
- Provide written monthly updates to the Listen Up project lead and WPE Coordinator;
- Provide technical support to the Listen Up WPE Manager to track activities and indicators and review narrative for quarterly and annual Listen Up donor reports;
- Design and develop quality learning content, materials and resources in line with best practice standards and guidelines.