Shelter and Livelihoods Program Manager
A day in the life of a Shelter and Livelihoods Program Manager, Iraq
At Samaritan’s Purse, the Gospel really is the center of all we do! We start each day with a time of devotions and prayer. We hear from members of our staff, both from IHQ and our global offices, as well as special guest speakers who encourage us in God’s word. We then join together to pray for one another, as well as praying for staff and volunteers who serve around the globe. We get paid to start each day this way!
2021 contract until August 31 with the potential for renewal.
Subject to availability of funding.
- Implement an externally funded shelter and livelihood program as the project’s main field operator for Samaritan's Purse.
- Oversee the implementation of interventions to support planting of agricultural farmlands, help returnees restore livestock operations, and rehabilitation of war damaged homes.
- Oversee assistance, training and monitoring of project beneficiaries, ensuring that interventions are in line with beneficiary needs, skills, and meet program objectives.
- Manage and mentor staff including engineers, agriculture and livelihood specialists, administrative assistant.
- Supervise contractors and employees/temporary laborers as needed to ensure equity and quality standards are met.
- Coordinate with local authorities, government agencies, and the participants to ensure the timely completion of activities to the maximum benefit of those involved.
- Advise in the negotiation of terms of contracts with private and governmental agencies.
- Identify and design ideas for further shelter and livelihood programming in the area.
- Coordinate with logistics for procurement, warehousing, and delivery.
- Steward the budget faithfully in accordance with SP and external donor’s finance protocols.
- Ensure accountability, adequate reporting, and grant compliance.
- Follows policies and procedures of Samaritan’s Purse as set forth in the Policy Manual.
- Attends daily morning devotions and participates in prayer support for the ministry, donors and volunteers.
- Maintains a strong Christian witness to colleagues, vendors, charitable beneficiaries, and the general public.
- Other duties may be assigned that are not specifically identified within the content of the job description.
In the role of Shelter and Livelihoods Program Manager, you will manage a large externally funded project focusing on livelihoods, agriculture assistance, and shelter rehabilitation for affected populations. You will be responsible for supporting activities to be implemented in that area of Iraq. With the defeat of ISIS in Iraq, Samaritan’s Purse is engaged in the work of trying to rebuild resiliency among impacted communities by restoring livelihoods especially in the shelter sector. This position will help demonstrate the love of Christ in a tangible way in Iraq. This grant funded program will run until August 31, 2021 with a potential for renewal.
Check out why people love serving with Samaritan’s Purse: https://bit.ly/2F8Nom5
Qualifications & Experience
- A personal, vibrant relationship with Jesus Christ and desire to continue being an active, consistent witness for Him.
- Bachelor’s degree from a 4-year college or university in Agriculture, Development, Business, Economics, Engineering, Civil Engineering, or related field of study.
- 2-4+ years of technical working experience in development projects management in shelter, engineering, or agriculture/livelihoods (required).
- Strong knowledge of agriculture, food processing, and/or irrigation systems.
- Experience working with contractors and around construction sites.
- Experience in project management in various sectors including proposal writing, program development, implementation, and monitoring/evaluating methodologies.
- Experience managing a team of staff. Proven management and leadership experience.
- Strong project management, financial management, organizational, and relational skills. A strong team player and adept at creating a strong team spirit.
- Experience working and living overseas (preferred), with ability to be flexible and adaptable. Experience living and working in Middle Eastern cultures (a plus).
- Ability to communicate and interact well with people of different educational, linguistic, cultural, and socio-economic backgrounds.
- Ability to travel and work in difficult conditions under pressure.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office and Excel.
- Language: Fluency in English (required). Strong English language writing and oral communication skills, and demonstrated ability to write routine reports and correspondence.
- Language: Arabic skills (preferred).
Job Location: Snuni, Iraq
Type (Full-Time/Part-Time/Associate): Full-Time
Restrictions (Accompanied/Non-Accompanied): Non-Accompanied
Language Requirement: Fluency in English (required) / Arabic (preferred)
Travel Expectations: Ability to travel to field sites to monitor projects.
Career with purpose!
- Medical, prescription, dental & vision coverage
- Disability insurance
- Term Life insurance
- Retirement savings plan (after 1 year)
- 10 paid holidays (holiday observance will depend on the host country)
- 12 vacation days per year
- Annual home leave