Programme Support Trainee
With our more than 40 years of presence in China, UNDP facilitates the achievement of the SDGs in line with China’s 14th Five-Year Plan promoting sustainable development principles in development and economic decisions, focusing on reducing inequality, recalibrating the economy for more inclusive growth, reducing the environmental impact of China’s rapid development putting the country on a low-carbon footprint, and assisting to China’s increasing role in global development cooperation as an effective development partner.
Global energy consumption accounts for 73.2% of the greenhouse gas emissions worldwide, of which, 16.2% is contributed by the Transport sector. To mitigate the adverse impact of climate change and assist China for a greener post-COVID recovery, the Hydrogen Economy Portfolio of UNDP China’s People, Peace and Prosperity Pillar, works with a wide range of cities across China to demonstrate hydrogen fuel cell vehicles, support governments on policy innovations and the hydrogen industry build a functional industrial chain.
The Hydrogen Economy Portfolio is looking for candidates with excellent command of English and Chinese, strong organisational skills, experience in the field of international development, as well as knowledge or genuine interest in the field of energy, chemistry, environment, or natural sciences.
Duties and Responsibilities
The incumbent will perform tasks related to project information management, administration, translation, organisation of events and an international conference, communications, policy and news watch, knowledge products production and other tasks as requested by the Programme Manager. S/he will carry out the following duties and responsibilities:
1. Support on project management (60%)
- Draft meeting minutes in an accurate, organised, and concise manner.
- Assist the regular communications with the implementation partners to follow up on project progress.
- Support the effective implementation of projects, including information management, drafting, and checking annual work plans, regular project reports, and maintaining archives of relevant documents.
- Assist in the drafting, translation, and proofreading of reports, meeting documents, speeches, project documents etc.
- Carry out procurement procedures including drafting terms of references, ensuring alignment with UNDP policies, managing vendor information and contracts.
- Support project reviews and audits.
2. Assist in advocacy and the production of knowledge products (20%)
- Support the drafting of project best practices and lessons learnt.
- Conduct policy and news watch and update the Portfolio’s policy inventory periodically.
- Draft and update portfolio’s project briefs.
- Developing and updating ppt slides such as portfolio briefs, webinar presentations etc.
- Proofreading and translation of knowledge products.
- Prepare social media posts for clean energy and hydrogen related campaigns.
- Archive media coverage and pictures of UNDP China’s engagements on clean energy and hydrogen.
3. Event management and coordination (20%)
- Provide solid support on the planning, organisation and coordination of events, campaigns, and the UNDP Hydrogen Industry Conference in October.
- Develop, timely update and management of accurate conference (i.e. conference agenda, invitations, keynote presentations, and speaker bios) and logistics databases (i.e. guest ID, flight/accommodation requirements).
- Manage a team of translators; archive and coordinate with vendors for using the translated documents; and supervise the translation quality.
- Coordination with the host government for provision of conference and logistics information.
- Liaise with vendors and partners to ensure that the final arrangements are accurate and in line with UNDP’s requirement and diplomatic protocols.
- The incumbent is also expected to perform other tasks as requested and encouraged to participate in office-wide and cross-team initiatives upon approval of her/his supervisor.
1. General qualities
- Excellent command of English and Chinese.
- Great attention to detail.
- Participates actively as part of a team to achieve goals.
- Good interpersonal skills and can thrive in diverse environments.
- The ability to communicate effectively and tactfully with different stakeholders.
- General understanding of NGO and international development issues.
2. Result delivery
- A can-do attitude and a highly organised approach to work even when under pressure.
- A quick learner with strong logical and analytical skills.
- Excellent time management skills and the ability to prioritise in consultation with supervisor.
- Proactive and comfortable to seek guidance and ask for support from others when necessary.
- Able to work both in teams and independently.
3. Conceptual competency
- Quick learner to understand the subject mater of the portfolio’s work.
- Strong analytical and research skills.
- The ability to write precisely in a logical and concise manner.
Required Skills and Experience
Required Skills and Experiences
3. Other requirements
I. Please include your availability dates and earliest desired starting date at the top of your CV
II. All genders of candidates are equally encouraged to apply for this position.
III. Knowledge or experience on gender equality and gender mainstreaming is a desired asset.