Regional Manager, Safety & Security
Regional Manager, Safety & Security
- Full Time
- Program (Division)
- Global Operations Team
- Additional Location Description
- CHAI SEAP Country
The Clinton Health Access Initiative, Inc. (CHAI) is a global health organization committed to saving lives and reducing the burden of disease in low-and middle-income countries, while strengthening the capabilities of governments and the private sector in those countries to create and sustain high-quality health systems that can succeed without our assistance. For more information, please visit: http://www.clintonhealthaccess.org
CHAI is seeking a strong relationship-builder, communicator, and manager with experience working for an international nongovernmental organization (INGO) in the areas of safety and security (S&S) and/or operations and staff support to serve in the role of Regional Manager, Safety & Security for the Southeast Asia and Pacific (SEAP) region.
This position requires a detail-oriented candidate who is capable of maintaining productive relationships with diverse colleagues and providing support in high-stress situations. They will be the fourth member of CHAI’s Global Safety and Security (S&S) Department. Working with CHAI Country Safety Point People (SPPs), the Regional Manager, S&S will be expected to liaise closely with SEAP in-country leadership to support them in conducting risk assessments, updating context-specific country materials as required, and communicating relevant safety information with regional staff members. The Regional Manager, S&S will also stay abreast of changing health and safety dynamics in the countries supported and advise teams on risk management protocol. They will work directly with International SOS (ISOS), CHAI’s security provider, and work as a liaison with medical or security support for staff. They will also provide direct incident response support to CHAI country and regional leaders and impacted staff in the countries supported, as well as ad hoc support to CHAI programs around the world.
- Main regional S&S focal point for CHAI program countries in the SEAP region including but not limited to; Cambodia, Vietnam, Myanmar, Laos, Indonesia, and Papua New Guinea
- Work with country and global team colleagues to monitor and improve compliance with S&S global policies and guidelines
- Respond to day to day security incidents affecting CHAI staff, assets, and reputation
- Work with country SPPs and Country Directors to conduct risk assessments and modify operations/protocol
- Train and support regional staff and leadership on standing responsibilities and incident/crisis response
- Conduct country S&S visits to various CHAI operating locations to assess risk, develop protocols, and conduct training, as necessary
- Liaise with S&S counterparts at other NGOs and within private and governmental sectors to maintain a strong understanding of local risk factors and norms
- Work closely with colleagues in the Global S&S Department to staff the S&S Duty phone and respond to incidents, including during some weekend and evening hours
- Monitor S&S threats and incidents in relevant countries and work with S&S point people to address any relevant developments
- Track incidents and prepare reports and presentations for CHAI leadership
- Note: For Cambodia/base location country, this person will also be part of the Safety Point Persons team, helping to manage incidents affecting CHAI’s local office
This position reports to the Senior Manager (based in South Africa) within the Safety and Security Department.
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent
- Operations and/or security management experience (5-7 years), ideally with an international organization or global non-governmental organization
- Experience managing and supporting colleagues with diverse backgrounds, cultures, and skills, with experience at an international NGO strongly preferred
- Experience living and working in Southeast Asia and/or the Pacific preferred
- Experience liaising with governmental and local authorities, including security networks
- Demonstrated ability to remain calm under pressure and respond to staff emergencies while coordinating with country and CHAI leadership.
- Experience developing security protocols and procedures, supporting implementation across diverse stakeholders, and working with security providers, specifically ISOS
- Detail-oriented with strong organization and time-management skills
- Strong written and verbal communication skills with a proven track record of building strong relationships through communication (remote experience a plus)
- Flexibility to adapt to changing requirements
- Security management and/or project management certifications a plus
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, particularly Excel, PowerPoint, and Word
The location for this position is based in Phnom Penh, Cambodia, or a CHAI program country in the region. A successful candidate will need to be able to participate in team meetings across multiple time zones and to travel to regional countries and other locations about 30% of the time (once COVID allows) as relevant to work.