International Consultant on Potato Cultivar Registration
Home Based - May require travel (Home Based)
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Please note that Closure Date and Time displayed above are based on date and time settings of your personal device
FAO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender and nationality
People with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply
All applications will be treated with the strictest confidentiality
The incumbent may be re-assigned to different activities and/or duty stations depending on the evolving needs of the Organization
FAO is providing technical support to the Government of Uzbekistan under Technical Co-operation Project, “TCP /UZB/3805: Recovery and development of the potato sector in response to COVID-19” in collaborations with the Ministry of Agriculture. The project will contribute to the development of sustainable potato production system, based on knowledge and good practices.
The International Consultant on Potato Cultivar Registration will work under overall supervision of the FAO Representative in Uzbekistan, the technical supervision of the REU Agricultural Officer.
Potato cultivar testing and registration, development of training materials, capacity building and training
Tasks and responsibilities
The International Consultant on Potato Cultivar Registration will have the following duties:
- review and discuss with national partners current potato cultivar registration system and identify gaps
- discuss the needs for the enhancement of procedures and facilities for the registration system and agree on directions towards its enhancement
- draft the proposals of enhanced procedures
- review the proposals of enhancements to the system of potato cultivar registration
- discuss and agree the enhanced procedures for potato cultivar testing and registration
- develop training materials for trainings on seed potato production, certification and pest control, for seed certification inspectors
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
- Advanced university degree in Agronomy or Horticulture Science and management, or related field
- Have at least 7 years extensive experience in integrated potato production systems and cultivar testing and registration
- Working knowledge of English, and limited knowledge of one of the other FAO languages for Consultants. Working knowledge of English in the case of PSA.SBS.
FAO Core Competencies
- Results Focus
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
- Extent and relevance of experience in climate resilient and sustainable agricultural production management practices and improve technologies.
- Work experience in Central Asia would be an asset
- Ability to plan and organize own work, deliver results and meet deadlines
- Ability to write clear and concise technical documents
- Excellent communication skills in English and strong computer, report writing, and presentation skills.
- International experience with FAO, and other international agencies will be advantage
- Technical and practical knowledge on establishments of pilot demonstrations of improve practices, and conducting farmers training.
Please note that all candidates should adhere to FAO Values of Commitment to FAO, Respect for All and Integrity and Transparency