Public Finance Management Specialist
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
At the United Nations Sustainable Summit held in September 2015, 193 UN Member States adopted the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development, operationalizing 17 Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and 169 specific targets.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Support the establishment of a high-level multi-sectoral working group on Integrated National Financing Framework (INFF);
- Lead and coordinate the national Development finance assessment (DFA) in line with the best international practice; prepare draft of the national DFA report;
- Facilitate public discussion and presentation of the DFA results;
- Finalize and submit the DFA report.
- Plan and coordinate a comprehensive assessment of alignment of strategic planning, Government action plan and sector policy expenditures (RIA+);
- Lead and guide the review the national system of strategic planning and formulation recommendations for SDGs-oriented policy/strategy alignment with budget;
- Facilitate the consultations with government stakeholders on implementation of recommendations for policy/strategy alignment with budget.
- Review the integrating national priorities and targets into Budget Declaration structure and formulate clear recommendations on SDGs integration;
- Review the integration of SDGs into the Medium-Term Expenditure Framework and formulate clear recommendations on SDGs integration in a systemic manner;
- Facilitate and provide methodology support in integrating SDG lens into the budget programmes, including by alignment of programme passports and key performance indicators with SDG policy framework and targets;
- Mapping of national policy framework with SDGs and with budget programme structure (classifications);
- Support in formulation of the SDG Budget Tagging model and recommendations on implementation;
- Carry out SDGs Budget Tagging, backstopping of other experts in this exercise and transfer the knowledge to relevant national authorities/departments;
- Provide training(s) on SDGs Budget Tagging to relevant stakeholders.
- Support the establishment of working groups in two selected target oblasts;
- Lead and coordinate two Oblast DFAs; prepare drafts of two sub-national DFA reports;
- Facilitate public discussions and presentations of the results of the two Assessments.
- Develop and implement the knowledge sharing and capacity building programme for regional/local authorities in two target oblasts;
- Carry out SDGs Budget Tagging at sub-national level and transfer the knowledge to relevant regional authorities/departments;
- Provide training(s) on SDGs Budget Tagging to relevant regional/local stakeholders;
- Support to the development of oblasts budgets in line with their regional priorities and SDGs;
- Support the presentation of the developed SDG-aligned budgets to the Oblast Councils;
- Facilitate sharing experience of budgeting for SDGs with other oblasts.
- Support to strategic planning and monitoring processes;
- Provide recommendations to aligning with SDGs the regional development strategies Implementation Plans;
- Support the development of SDG-related regional programmes;
- Facilitate knowledge sharing and capacity development.
- Provide technical expertise to the Office of the Prime-Minister and Secretariat of the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine to ensure coordination of the development of the whole-of-government approach to establishing an SDG Financing institutional and legal framework, including INFF, SDG budget tagging, and other important elements of this work;
- Provide technical expertise to UNDP and support to the Government on alignining the strategic planning and budgeting for SDGs processes;
- Provide advice to the experts deployed by UNDP to the Policy Advisory Unit on improving coordination of the national mechanism on SDG implementation from the perspective of aligning it with SDGs.
- Ensure the project’s strategic interventions are informed by gender analysis and implemented in line with corporate gender equality goals and priorities;
- Ensure the project contributes to the promotion of gender equality by reaching, involving, and benefiting both women and men;
- Speak out for gender equality and women’s empowerment on public platforms; set up and participate only in gender balanced panels;
- Be aware of relevant gender issues and concerns in SDG Financing and be familiar with gender issues relevant to the country;
- Use gender-responsive communications principles in line with the UNDP corporate standards;
- Promote a safe and enabling environment free of any kind of discrimination and abusive behaviour.
- Monthly/quarterly/ad hoc debriefs are prepared;
- Concept notes, advisory notes, memos, meeting debriefs, topical briefs, and activity plans produced;
- Substantial technical and expert support to the project activities related to all thematic anticorruption areas of project implementation provided;
- All assignments performed in a quality and timely manner;
- Project reports produced in time and of a high quality;
- Project overall results, experiences and lessons learned captured and disseminated at the national and regional levels;
- Quality monitoring and closure activities completed.
- Relevant outputs of the project annual work plan are fully and timely implemented;
- Funds delivery for the project is reached 100%;
- Project operational requirements are carried out in strict accordance with UNDP rules and procedures;
- Project-related analytical materials are timely prepared and disseminated;
- Project technical activities are duly overseen, timely enhanced, and properly reported;
- Partnership with institutional stakeholders developed and maintained;
- Quality of work;
- Partnering and networking.
- Demonstrating/safeguarding ethics and integrity;
- Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UNDP;
- Demonstrates corporate knowledge and sound judgment;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
- Ensures all necessary precautions to avoid corrupt practices, maintains standards of conduct that govern the performance of the UN staff, including the prohibition of corrupt practices in connection with the award and administration of contracts, grants, or other benefits, as set forth in the Staff Regulations and Rules of the United Nations, the UNDP Financial Regulations and Rules, and the UNDP Procurement Manual.
- Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise;
- Building Strategic Partnerships;
- Results-based Management;
- Mentoring and capacity building;
- Quality Assurance;
- Strong organizational and time management skills;
- Strong coordination and facilitation skills;
- High level of creativity and excellent writing skills;
- Ability to identify problems and propose solutions;
- Conflict Management;
- Gender mainstreaming
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s degree or equivalent in Economics, Finance, Business Administration, Law, International Relations, Development studies, political sciences, social sciences or other relevant area.
- At least three (3) years of proven experience in the sphere of public economics and public financing, project and/or project component support;
- Proven experience of cooperation with governmental institutions at national level in the sphere of finance and national and oblast level budget systems and/or International Financial Institutions (IFIs);
- Experience in elaborating strategic documents, policy papers and policy recommendations, conducting policy research would be an asset;
- Experience of working with a multilateral or international technical assistance or development organizations would be an asset.
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel) and advance knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages, experience in handling of web-based management systems.
- Fluency in English and Ukrainian is required.
Important applicant information
All posts in the SC categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.