Youth Engagement and Water Scarcity Support Officer
Candidate age: between 18 and 29 throughout the entire duration of their assignment. Nationals of the country of assignment are not eligible, except the assignments in Headquarters duty stations.Description of task
Within the delegated authority and under the supervision of the ADAP Regional Advisory or his/her designated mandated representative(s), in coordination with the WASH Regional Advisor, the UN Volunteer Youth Engagement and Water Scarcity will:
- Support to Country Offices on educating young people on water, water scarcity and climate-related related issues that affect them and their communities and help them identify the root causes of this issue through participatory tools and approaches
- Drafting of an annex to the PAR guidance specific to research and action with regard to water scarcity, based on good practice in the region and beyond. Drafting to take place in English, Arabic translation to be reviewed for quality.
- Support to Country Offices to empower young people in the design of research methods and tools to understand the drivers water scarcity and seek solutions to resolve the issues by advocating with the duty bearers, peers and communities to implement conflict-sensitive WASH policies and interventions.
- Support Country Offices, implementing partners and young researchers in data collection; data analysis; synthesis of findings, draft report and dissemination of findings; and implementation of action plans.
- Support Country Offices in linking action plans and solutions with policy advocacy and young people-focused entrepreneurship initiatives (including Upshift, innovation labs etc.)
- Support Country offices in maintaining and coordinating networks of young researchers and link them with opportunities for participation, social and civic engagement initiatives at country and regional levels (as applicable).
- Identification of PAR centres of excellence in building capacity of partners and young researchers to implement participatory action research within their context including: Identify capacity building opportunities of relevance to the most vulnerable young people and coordinate implementation with UNICEF country offices and partners; Coordinate and implement training and/or mentorship opportunities with partners.
- Support management of knowledge on PAR in the region, including such actions as organizing webinars/trainings and documenting case studies and lessons learned.
- Support generation of regional public good documents (e.g. MENA Young Climate Activists tool kit).
- Other relevant tasks as required by the supervisor.
- At least 1 year of professional work experience at the national and/or international level in relevant programmes
- Required technical knowledge: experience with Participatory Action Research training and development of guidance
- Excellent oral and written skills; excellent drafting, formulation, reporting skills;
- Accuracy and professionalism in document production and editing;
- Excellent interpersonal skills; culturally and socially sensitive; ability to work inclusively and collaboratively with a range of partners, including grassroots community members, religious and youth organizations, and authorities at different levels; familiarity with tools and approaches of communications for development;
- Ability to work and adapt professionally and effectively in a challenging environment; ability to work effectively in a multicultural team of international and national personnel;
- Solid overall computer literacy, including proficiency in various MS Office applications (Excel, Word, etc.) and email/internet; familiarity with database management; and office technology equipment;
- Self-motivated, ability to work with minimum supervision; ability to work with tight deadlines;
- Sound security awareness;
- Have affinity with or interest in youth engagement volunteerism as a mechanism for durable development, and the UN System.
- English(Mandatory), Level - Fluent
- Arabic(Mandatory), Level - Fluent
- French(Optional), Level - Working Knowledge
Accountability, Adaptability and Flexibility, Client Orientation, Commitment and Motivation, Commitment to Continuous Learning, Communication, Creativity, Ethics and Values, Integrity, Planning and Organizing, Professionalism, Respect for Diversity, Technological Awareness, Working in TeamsApplication procedure:
Eligible candidates must be between 18 - 29 years of age throughout the duration of their service.
* Not yet registered in the UNV Talent Pool?
Please first register your profile at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/signup. Important: After creating your account, complete all sections of
your profile and submit it. Then go to ‘My Page’ at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/mypage and click on the ‘Special Calls’ hyperlink. Lastly,
select the special call to which you would like to apply.
* Already registered in the UNV Talent Pool?
Please first update your profile at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/profile. Then go to ‘My Page’ at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/mypage
and click on the ‘Special Calls’ hyperlink to select the special call to which you would like to apply.
Application deadline: 29 April 2021