Assistant Resident Representative (Inclusive Growth)
Under the supervision of the Deputy Resident Representative and with overall guidance of the Resident Representative, the Assistant Resident Representative serves as the team leader for the Inclusive Growth Unit of the UNDP Viet Nam Country Office (CO). He/she oversees the implementation of the Inclusive Growth programme, leads the team in strategic planning and identifies new programming opportunities while ensuring consistency with UN One Strategic Plan/Cooperation Framework (UNCF) and UNDP Country Programme Document (CPD) priorities and providing innovative responses to new and emerging challenges and opportunities.
The ARR supervises the Inclusive Growth team and works in close collaboration with the other teams and units in the CO, Government officials, counterparts in other UN agencies, UNDP HQ and Regional Center colleagues, technical advisors and experts, multi-lateral and bi-lateral donors and civil society to successfully implement the UNDP inclusive growth programme. He/she serves as the focal point responsible for providing strategic guidance, promoting rights-based programming and implementation of relevant initiatives.
The UN in Viet Nam is one of the initial 8 pilot countries for Delivering As One and has completed two cycles of operating under a One Strategic Plan. The UN Cooperation Framework is being developed for 2022-2026. In this context a high priority is placed on joint programming. The ARR will play a substantial role in supporting UNDP’s role in the UNCT coordination mechanism, including: alternative chair of the Inclusive Growth and Social Protection Results Group, in UN SDG and Ethnic Minority Working Groups.
The function requires strong political sensitivity and diplomatic skills, as well the aptitude to manage complex processes with strong relationship-building and problem-solving abilities. As a key manager and a member, the incumbent also is expected to contribute to UNDP CO high level policy advising and dialogue, actively participates in the CO senior staff (team leaders) group and supports the implementation of shared office priorities in programme and management fields.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Spearhead the strategic direction of UNDP inclusive growth programmes including joint UN programmes with UNDP’s participation and other collaborative UN initiative:
- Thorough analysis of the political, social and economic situation in the country and collaborative preparation/revision of joint UN country analysis/assessment, UN One Strategic Plan/UNCF, UNDP Country Programme Documents (CPD), Annual Business Plan, and Annual Work Plans (AWPs) and other documents, guided by the global UNDP Strategic Plan and the Sustainable Development Goals.
- Operationalization of UNCF and CPD in collaboration with key national partners, UN Agencies, development partners and civil society
- Identification of possibilities for UN joint programming and support of UNDP’s alternate-chair role in UN Results Group on inclusive growth and social protection, UNDP’s role in UN SDG Working Group and Ethnic Minority Working Groups.
- Analysis and presentation of UNDP policies and their implementation in the CO.
- Development and expansion of the country office programme portfolio in the area of inclusive growth in response to national priorities, UN/UNDP programming frameworks, including corporate Strategic Plan
- Ensure that new programmes incorporate gender equality and women’s empowerment at the design stages, supporting the gender marker targets under the Country Office Gender Equality and Women’s Empowerment Strategy and UNDP’s global Gender Equality Strategy.
- Working closely with concerned Government agencies, UNDP HQs and Regional Center on the related issues, disseminating policy decision and responding accordingly.
- Keeping abreast of national/regional/global development trends in the areas of inclusive growth and providing advices on planning, policy and resource mobilization interventions.
- Promote the application of innovative approaches in UNDP inclusive growth programmes
2. Ensures effective management of the CO inclusive growth programme and supervision of the Inclusive Growth Unit focusing on quality control of the full cycle of programming from formulation to implementation achieving the following results:
- Responsible for achievements of identified results and effective delivery of allocated resources
- Effective application of RBM tools, establishment of management targets and monitoring achievement of results.
- Design and formulation of the CO inclusive growth programme, translating UNDP priorities into high-quality programmatic interventions; coordination of programme implementation with implementing partners.
- Strategic oversight of planning, budgeting, implementing and monitoring of the inclusive growth programme, tracking use of financial resources in accordance with UNDP rules and regulations.
- Perform the function of Manager Level 2 in Atlas as well as other roles in the CO Internal Control Framework (ICF) based on delegated authority from CO management.
- Effective monitoring, measuring the impact of the CO inclusive growth programme and evaluation. Constant monitoring and analysis of the programme environment, timely readjustment of programme.
- Follow up on audit recommendations and report all exceptions in a timely manner.
- Aggregate reports are regularly prepared on activities, outputs and outcomes. Preparation of donor reports.
- Application of appropriate cost recovery for the services provided by the programme unit to projects.
3. Establishes and maintains strategic partnerships and supports the resource mobilization in cooperation with the CO Senior Management focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Actively develop strong partnerships with national and international partners (government institutions, bi-lateral and multi-lateral donors, IFIs, private sector, civil society), thus contributing to raising the profile and credibility of UNDP in the area of inclusive growth, multidimensional poverty reduction, social protection and Ethnic Minority development.
- Work in synergy with the UN Agencies, especially in the implementation of the One Strategic Plan and through UN joint programming and policy advocacy mechanisms.
- Determination of programmatic areas of cooperation, based on strategic goals of UNDP, country needs and donors’ priorities.
- Development of close interaction and substantive dialogue with donors, identification of partnership and resource mobilization opportunities, including domestic fund cost sharing, and lead for the materialization of those opportunities.
- Directly support the coordination of relevant Joint Results Group(s) under the UN One Strategic Plan and CF, and support UN/UNDP senior managers in coordinating joint initiatives
- Active representation of UN/UNDP and substantive participation in inclusive growth fora and thematic groups involving Government, civil society and development partners.
4. Ensures provision of quality advisory services and facilitation of knowledge building and management, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Identification of key inclusive growth issues and challenges, identification and synthesis of best practices and lessons learned directly linked to programme country policy goals, leading to the formulation of substantive policy advice. In close cooperation with CO’s Senior International Economist-Advisor, make substantive contribution to formulation and implementation of CO policy advice priorities on inclusive economic growth, human development and SDGs, in particular: multidimensional poverty reduction, social protection, SME and Ethnic Minority development.
- Serving as the focal point responsible for providing strategic guidance, promoting rights-based programming and implementation of relevant initiatives.
- Establishment of advocacy networks at national level and linked to international networks focusing on executing relevant and high-impact advocacy campaigns with key partners.
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
- Organization of necessary trainings for the unit staff and project personnel on critical programmatic and substantive matters
- Demonstrates integrity by modeling the UN’s values and ethical standards
- Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UNDP
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
Knowledge Management and Learning
- Promotes knowledge management in UNDP and a learning environment in the office through leadership and personal example
- Actively works towards continuing personal learning and development in one or more Practice Areas, acts on learning plan and applies newly acquired skills
Development and Operational Effectiveness
- Ability to lead strategic planning, results-based management and reporting
- Ability to lead formulation, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of development programmes and projects, mobilize resources
- Ability to formulate and manage budgets, manage contributions and investments, manage transactions, conduct financial analysis, reporting and cost-recovery
- Good knowledge of the Results Management Guide and Toolkit
- Good ICT skills, ability to learn and operate Atlas
- Ability to implement new systems and affect staff behavioral/ attitudinal change
Management and Leadership
- Builds strong relationships with clients, focuses on impact and result for the client and responds positively to feedback
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude
- Demonstrates good oral and written communication skills
- Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities
Required Skills and Experience
Master’s Degree or equivalent in Economics, Development Economics, Political Sciences, Public Policy, Social Sciences or related field.
7 years of progressive experience at the national or international level in providing policy and management advisory services, hands-on experience in design, monitoring and evaluation of development projects in the area of inclusive growth, poverty reduction, social protection and enterprise development, establishing inter-relationships among international organization and national governments, with a track record in supporting countries in the implementation of the inclusive growth programmes. Professional experience in the political and governance context that is similar to Viet Nam is a strong asset.
Experience with computer applications and office software packages, experience in handling of web-based management systems.
Fluency in spoken and written Vietnamese and English.
Important applicant information
All posts in the GS categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.