Administrative Assistant (TH-GS-2021-39-LD)
Geneva (United States of America)
Company DescriptionAt CERN, the European Organization for Nuclear Research, physicists and engineers are probing the fundamental structure of the universe. Using the world's largest and most complex scientific instruments, they study the basic constituents of matter - fundamental particles that are made to collide together at close to the speed of light. The process gives physicists clues about how particles interact, and provides insights into the fundamental laws of nature. Find out more on http://home.cern.
Great science needs great people! Are you a self-motivated administrative assistant with strong organizational skills and great attention to detail? Join the TH Secretariat and provide a seamless service to the many theorists coming from all over the world. CERN, take part!
The CERN Theory Department, centre of excellence in theoretical high-energy physics and related areas, aims to foster fundamental research in a wide range of fields. TH contributes towards facilitating international collaboration and exchanging ideas among theorists, together with visiting scientists, through the organization of a large number of scientific conferences, workshops, meetings and seminars liaising with Institutes, Universities and Research Centres.
As Administrative Assistant in the TH Secretariat, you will take part in the general customer service provided for TH's visiting scientists and share in a team the daily tasks related to the visitor Programme, event planning and management, and internal administration in compliance with the Organization’s administrative procedures.
You will be collaborating closely with the supervisor of the TH Secretariat and the Head of TH Department, ensuring that the flow of information inside and outside your direct working environment is of the highest standard.
These tasks include welcome support services to TH members of personnel and visiting scientists as well as the daily management of the administrative services provided in the Secretariat, with special emphasis on information, communication and organizational services. You will:
- Act as first line support to TH members and the visiting scientists' queries in contact with relevant services inside and outside CERN and facilitate their integration upon arrival;
- Assist visiting scientists in the preparation and follow-up of official documentation and correspondence according to requirements, collaborating with the Users’ Office and the Host States Relations Service;
- Provide administrative and secretarial services associated with scheduling and coordinating meetings and events;
- Ensure the processing, follow-up and control of various administrative information, updating documents and shared database files in compliance with CERN’s rules and procedures;
- Replace other team members during their absences.
Technical certificate or general secondary education or relevant equivalent experience in the field of administration or a related field.
- Demonstrated experience in an administrative service or secretariat in an international environment.
- Customer service;
- Secretarial work: good knowledge of administrative tasks;
- Archiving and records management: data management.
- Event organisation and management;
- Knowledge of administrative rules and procedures;
- Use of office software packages.
- Working in teams: contributing to promoting a positive atmosphere in the team through an optimistic and constructive attitude; addressing issues; working well in groups and readily fitting into a team; participating fully and taking an active role in team activities.
- Building relationships: showing courtesy and consideration in dealings with others; accepting others in a non-judgemental way and taking their point of view into account
- Communicating effectively: demonstrating a pro-active approach to resolving differences; addressing issues of conflict constructively; providing others with timely information; ensuring that information, procedures and decisions are appropriately documented.
- Demonstrating flexibility: adapting quickly and resourcefully to shifting priorities and requirements.
- Achieving results: having a structured and organised approach towards work; being able to set priorities and plan tasks with results in mind; delivering prompt and efficient service taking into account customer needs.
- Spoken and written English and French: ability to understand, write and speak both languages in professional contexts.
- Any additional language knowledge will be considered as an asset.
Eligibility and closing date:
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 24.05.2021 by 12:00 CET.
Contract type: Limited duration contract (5 years). Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
Job grade: 3-4
Job reference: TH-GS-2021-39-LD
Benchmark Job Title: Personal/Team Assistant