Regional Gender Specialist
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Please note that Closure Date and Time displayed above are based on date and time settings of your personal device
FAO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender and nationality
People with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply
All applications will be treated with the strictest confidentiality
The incumbent may be re-assigned to different activities and/or duty stations depending on the evolving needs of the Organization
The Regional Office for Africa leads FAO’s response to regional priorities for food security, agriculture and rural development through the identification, planning and implementation of FAO’s priority activities in the region. It ensures a multidisciplinary approach to programmes, identifies priority areas of action for the Organization in the region and, in collaboration with offices, centres and divisions at Headquarters, develops, promotes and oversees FAO's strategic response to regional priorities. In its programme delivery, RAF contributes to the achievements of the 2030 Sustainable Development Agenda, supports FAO’s work in Member countries, develops and maintains strategic partnerships with continental organizations, and supports countries to develop strategies, policies, regulatory frameworks regional and country policy dialogues that sustain efficient and inclusive agricultural and food systems. RAF also facilities partnerships with a broad range of stakeholders, supports capacity development and resource mobilization for food security, agriculture and rural development in the region.
The Regional Office for Africa puts gender equality and women’s empowerment at the centre of its programme and is committed to “achieving equality between women and men in sustainable agriculture and rural development for the elimination of hunger and poverty” in alignment with regional priorities and the FAO corporate Policy on Gender Equality 2020-2030. The gender team in RAF works collaboratively with all regional programmes and provides technical assistance to subregional and country offices in the region. It coordinates a network of over 56 gender focal points and alternates and supports the regional implementation and monitoring of the FAO Gender Equality Policy.
The Gender Specialist reports to the Regional Programme Leader and will work under the overall supervision of the Assistant Director General and direct supervision of the Senior Regional Gender Officer.
The gender specialists selected will need to have expertise in one or more of the following technical areas of work:
- Women’s empowerment for food security and rural development.
- Sustainable management of natural resources, including livestock, fisheries, forestry, land and water;
- Collection, analysis and use of gender-relevant sex-disaggregated data;
- Gender responsive approaches for peace building, resilience and disaster risk reduction (DRR);
- Gender, climate change and climate smart agriculture;
- Gender in agricultural production, including crop management and agriculture inputs;
- Gender responsive nutrition;
- Gender, rural finance, trade and markets;
- Gender, value chains and agri-entrepreneurship;
- Organizational gender mainstreaming, including budgeting, monitoring, evaluation and programming;
- Gender sensitive research and policy development in the agriculture and rural sectors, including collection, analysis and use of SADD and gender data;
- Gender, communication and knowledge generation.
Across these technical areas of work, the incumbent will support and contribute to the review, development and implementation of (i) projects and programmes, (ii) strategies and policies and (iii) provision of technical assistance for gender equality and women’s empowerment, as well as gender mainstreaming.
Tasks and responsibilities
In close coordination with the Senior Regional Gender Officer, the incumbent will implement the following tasks:
For levels A and B consultants and PSAs
- Undertake policy analysis and analytical work on effective ways to address gender inequalities and promote women’s empowerment in agriculture, food security and nutrition, and rural development;
- Provide technical support to governments in the formulation and implementation of gender-sensitive agriculture, rural development, food security and nutrition, climate change and resilience policies and programmes; (only applicable for consultants);
- Support FAO’s Member States in the implementation of their gender commitments enshrined in regional agreements, global framework and international conventions;
- Lead/participate in field missions and provide technical support to FAO country offices in the planning and implementation of the gender-related activities in the region;
- Produce knowledge products, and policy and capacity development materials;
- Organize international meetings, workshops, learning events, and policy dialogues to influence global debates, including by producing outcome reports and policy briefs;
- Collaborate and provide technical support to FAO country offices and relevant partners on issues related to gender equality and women’s empowerment;
- Provide technical support and guidance to FAO country’s Gender Focal Points, in the implementation of their work plans and gender activities;
- Provide inputs in advocacy for gender mainstreaming in the region;
- Coordinate and provide oversight of complex multi-stakeholder partnerships, field activities and projects;
- Perform any other related duties, as required.
For level C consultants and PSAs
- Support the production of knowledge products and capacity development materials to enhance the skills of FAO staff and Member States on rural gender issues;
- Provide assistance in the organization of workshops, learning events, webinars and meetings, including by taking notes and preparing outcome documents;
- Contribute to the preparation of clear and concise technical reports, website updates, and other communications in line with the requirements of FAO;
- Support communication and knowledge sharing on gender equality, including within the regional network of Gender Focal Points;
- Liaise with FAO departments, strategic programme teams, and decentralized offices and partners on issues related to gender equality and women’s empowerment;
- Contribute to the incorporation of rural gender equality issues into FAO's programme of work;
- Perform any other related duties, as required.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
- University degree in social sciences, natural sciences, rural sociology, agriculture economics, social anthropology, rural development, statistics or other relevant disciplines;
- At least 12 years for Level A, 5 years for Level B and 2 years for Level C of relevant experience in analyzing and integrating gender dimensions into policy and programme formulation and implementation, particularly in the context of agriculture, rural development, food security and nutrition;
- For consultants: Working knowledge of English or French and limited knowledge of one of the other two.
- For PSA: Working knowledge of English.
FAO Core Competencies
- Results Focus
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
- Work experience with international organizations and in technical cooperation projects supporting countries.
- Work experience in more than one location or area of work, particularly in field positions is desirable.
- Extent and relevance of knowledge and experience in gender equality and mainstreaming.
- Ability to provide technical and advisory services.
-Experience working with or in the Africa continent is an asset._______________________________________________________________________________________
Please note that all candidates should adhere to FAO Values of Commitment to FAO, Respect for All and Integrity and Transparency