Civil Engineer, SAFE AND PROSPEROUS DISTRICTS (SPD) PROGRAMME
Port Moresby (Papua New Guinea)
UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security.
The UN Sustainable Development Goals calls for gender equality and social inclusion to be fully integrated into any development effort. In Papua New Guinea, UN Women works towards promoting efficient, well-built and well-maintained market infrastructure that fosters inclusive growth for all people and ensure the dividends of economic growth are equitably shared. Infrastructure is too often considered to be gender-neutral, but infrastructure projects do not benefit men and women equally. Infrastructure can either enhance or limit the opportunities of its users.
Market infrastructure development need to promote women’s safety, promote their business, and offer avenues for business expansion and growth. Gender equality dimensions to consider when developing markets include differences in terms of who can safely and readily access the markets and income generating opportunities it creates; risks for communities near the markets; and representation of women in marketplace authorities or governing bodies. Infrastructure should enhance the experiences of its users, and markets must be built with the end in mind. In PNG, markets are dominated by women, yet they are least likely to be involved in the development or construction of a market, nor in the management and operational functions.
Under the guidance and supervision of the Programme Manager for Safe and Prosperous Districts and the Provincial level governments engineering departments, the Civil Engineer will provide technical assistance and advisory support services, including the review of existing documentation related to the civil works, evaluate associated risks, assess the compliancy with construction codes and local laws related to the civil works and construction, produce, revise technical drawings, prepare Bill of Quantities (BoQ) and Cost estimates and other available documentation. She/He will provide supervision of the contracted company, overseeing the day to day monitoring according to the project planning and milestones. The UN Women civil engineer is expected to carry out of civil works procurement processes and thus should be fully familiar with UN/UN Women procurement rules, carry-out an assessment of construction requirements in a specific areas, assist and/or provide preliminary data for engineering design/drawings as appropriate, support preparation of the technical documentation as regard to bidding process; take part in the evaluation of the bidding and preparation of bidding evaluation Report, etc. The Civil Engineer also work in collaboration with other project engineers and puts in place appropriate quality assurance and quality control systems directed towards continuous assurance of quality during the civil works construction process and independently verifies that all works are executed according to contract specifications and requirements.
Duties and Responsibilities
The consultant will work under the overall supervision of the SPD Programme Manager and the Construction Management Teams set up by the Provincial Governments and will conduct or assist in some or all the following during his/her duties:
- Review and report to the SPD Programme Manager on the earlier structural & architectural generic designs preliminary designs for the markets in Tari and Wewak;
- Approve the two market sites assessment by visiting and give technical guidance to be included in the construction technical proposal
- Drafting of specifications for civil engineering works & other similar works;
- Prepare draft of BOQs and Internal cost estimate before initiating the procurement processes
- Worked on different types of construction contracts and contract management & administration;
- Advise the structure of the Construction Management Team
- Periodic On-site management of contractors, supervision & project monitoring etc.;
- Track project costs and prepare reports accordingly;
- Validate monitoring reports and submit consolidated periodic reports;
- Conduct Inspection of construction works not limited to inspection of materials, equipment’s to be installed;
- Check and certify substantial construction progress/ completion and the corresponding payments. Advice UN Women to withhold payment for any work which has been rejected or any work which is not in compliance with the contract documents;
- Certify/Issue certificates of Substantial Completion in coordination with UN Women and the contractor
- Review and verify/certify the payment request submitted by the contractors before submitting to payment
- Preparation of work progress reports
- Perform other duties related to civil construction works.
Payment will be based on deliverables agreed at the signature of the Individual Contract
Technical Evaluation Criteria
First degree/master’s Degree in civil engineering or relevant discipline
A minimum of 5 to 7 years’ experience in Civil Engineering works
At least 3 years involvement in the procurement of civil works contracts
Demonstrable 02 years of experience in design, preparation of Scope of Works and BOQ for complex constructions, including reporting skills in reporting the work progress, financial status of project.
Experience in handling of tender documents for constructions works, including technical inputs/specifications for the procurement of services using the conditions of international lending/funding agencies
Previous work experience with UN Women, UNDP or UN agencies and /or international organizations
- Cover letter explaining the suitability of the consultant: applicants are encouraged to address experience and qualifications listed in the ‘criteria for technical evaluation’.
- Curriculum Vitae (CV) of Consultant including references.
- Personal History Form (P-11 Form).
- Copies of certified academic certifications.
- Financial proposal with total lump sum quotation based on professional daily fees. Any travels related to the assignment will be paid separately by UN Women. Payment will be made upon certification by the designated official that stated deliverables have been achieved.
Applications without a complete financial proposal will be treated as incomplete and will not be considered for further assessment. UN Women reserves the right to accept or reject any bid.
The procurement process will be governed by the rules and regulations of the United Nations Entity for Gender Equality and the Empowerment of Women (UN Women).
- Applications will be evaluated based on the Cumulative analysis:
- Technical Qualification (100 points) weight; [70%]
- Financial Proposal (100 points) weight; [30%]
A two-stage procedure is utilised in evaluating the proposals, with evaluation of the technical proposal being completed prior to any price proposal being compared. Only the price proposal of the candidates who passed the minimum technical score of 70% of the obtainable score of 100 points in the technical qualification evaluation will be evaluated.
Technical qualification evaluation criteria:
The total number of points allocated for the technical qualification component is 100. The technical qualification of the individual is evaluated based on following technical qualification evaluation criteria:
Only the candidates who have attained a minimum of 70% of total points will be considered as technically-qualified candidate.
Financial/Price Proposal evaluation:
Annex I and II is shared herewith, below, to set the guidance to submission/s of financial proposals.
- Only the financial proposal of candidates who have attained a minimum of 70% score in the technical evaluation will be considered and evaluated.
- The total number of points allocated for the price component is 100 (30%).
- The maximum number of points will be allotted to the lowest price proposal that is opened/ evaluated and compared among those technical qualified candidates who have attained a minimum of 70% score in the technical evaluation.
- All other price proposals will receive points in inverse proportion to the lowest price.
- The prospective Individual Consultant should take the following explanations into account during submission of his/her price proposal:
- The consultant’s daily rate estimated to complete deliverables. Please note that UN Women solely pays upon submission of deliverables. Therefore, payment will be made upon submission of the final reports indicated in the table above.
- The daily price proposal should include a breakdown of costs (professional fees, transport, communications, printing, stationery, and accommodation (if applicable). Any other costs outside these categories would need justification.
- UN Women will not withhold any amount of the payments for tax and/or social security related payments. UN Women shall have no liability for taxes, duties or other similar charges payable by the Individual Contractor in respect of any amounts paid to the Individual Contractor under this Contract, and the Contractor acknowledges that UN Women will not issue any statements of earnings to the Individual contractor in respect of any such payments.
- Currency of the price proposal. The applicants are requested to submit their price proposals in USD. In case of proposals in other currency, these shall be converted into USD using the official UN exchange rate for currency conversion to USD at the date of applications’ submission deadline.
Annex I: Price Proposal Guideline and Template
The prospective Individual Consultant should take the following explanations into account during submission of his/her price proposal.
The daily professional fee should be separated from travel and logistics costs. The price proposal should indicate costs for transport, printing, communications, and other costs that could possibly be incurred by the Consultant during delivery of the trainings. The Consultant should only charge for days of delivery of training and other days involved in arranging for the trainings or preparation of the reports. This consultancy is for a total of 100 Days overall. UN Women will pay amount due upon receipt of final approved reports from the UN Women Program Manager.
UN Women will not withhold any amount of the payments for tax and/or social security related payments. UN Women shall have no liability for taxes, duties or other similar charges payable by the Individual Contractor in respect of any amounts paid to the Individual Contractor under this Contract, and the Contractor acknowledges that UN Women will not issue any statements of earnings to the Individual contractor in respect of any such payments.
The Consultant need to factor in all travel costs between the locations identified.
The Consultant should arrange their own travel, printing of training materials, accommodation etc. UN Women will arrange training venue and catering for participants. Each training is expected to be no more than 1 week.
Currency of the price proposal
The applicants are requested to submit their price proposals in PGK. In case of proposals in other currency, these shall be converted into PGK using the official UN exchange rate for currency conversion to PGK at the date of applications’ submission deadline.
Annex II: Price Proposal Submission Form
To: United Nations Entity for Gender Equality and the Empowerment of Women
[ name of consultancy position ]
Dear Sir / Madam,
I, the undersigned, offer to provide professional consulting services to UN Women within the scope of the referred Assignment.
Having examined, understood and agreed to the Terms of Reference and its annexes, the receipt of which are hereby duly acknowledged, I, the undersigned, offer to deliver professional services, in conformity with the Terms of Reference.
My maximum total price proposal for the assignment is given below:
Daily Professional fees, all inclusive
Total price for up to _____________ working days, including travel to consultancy locations (as per TOR)
*Note – include other categories if applicable
I confirm that my financial proposal will remain unchanged. I also confirm that the price that I quote is gross, and is inclusive of all legal expenses, including but not limited to social security, income tax, pension, etc., which shall be required applicable laws.
I agree that my proposal shall remain binding upon me for the duration of the contract timeline i.e. __________________________ days / weeks / months / year.
I understand that you are not bound to accept any proposal you may receive.
[ Signature ]
Telephone / Email:
Planning and Organizing:
- Ability to plan work assignments, establish priorities and to meet strict assignment deadlines.
- Compelling communication (verbal and written) skills, including ability to prepare reports, formulate and defend sound recommendations and articulate options concisely conveying maximum necessary information;
- Negotiating skills and ability to work at all levels with others to reach mutually benefiting and lasting understandings.
- Excellent interpersonal skills; capacity to recognize and respond appropriately to the ideas, interests and concerns of others;
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relations with people in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity.
Development and Operational Effectiveness:
- Ability to lead strategic planning, results-based management and reporting;
- Ability to apply conceptual models in support of formulations, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of development programs and projects and mobilize resources.
Management and Leadership:
- Build strong relationships with clients, focuses on impact and results for the client and responds positively to feedback;
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude;
- Demonstrate openness to change and ability to manage complexities;
- Demonstrate strong oral and written communication skills;
- Demonstrate good listening skills and responsiveness to the opinion of other
- Demonstrates integrity by modelling UN core values and ethical standards.
- Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UN Women.
- Displays cultural, gender, religious, racial, national and age-elated sensitivity and adaptability.
Required Skills and Experience
Education and certification:
Education and certification:
- First degree/master’s degree in civil engineering or related discipline from a recognized university
- Professional registration with the PNG Professional Engineers Registration Board and membership of the Institution of Engineers PNG is an added advantage.
- A minimum of 5 to 7 years’ experience in Civil Engineering works, with at least 3 years involvement in the procurement of civil works contracts
- Familiarity, experience with FIDIC
- Knowledge of procurement, tendering and contracting regulations, requirements of international organizations
- Knowledge and apprehension of common recognized Civil Engineering Contract Conditions
- Advanced knowledge of computers, Microsoft packages, AutoCAD
- Fluency in written and oral English is required