I. CORPORATE BACKGROUND:
UNDP works in about 170 countries and territories, helping to achieve the eradication of poverty, and the reduction of inequalities and exclusion. We help countries to develop policies, leadership skills, partnering abilities, institutional capabilities and build resilience in order to sustain development results.
UNDP is working to strengthen new frameworks for development, disaster risk reduction and climate change. We support countries' efforts to achieve the new Sustainable Development Goals, which will guide global development priorities through 2030. The key 2030 Agenda principle of leaving no one behind and stamping out inequality is at the core of everything we do.
UNDP focuses on helping countries build and share solutions in three main areas:
- Sustainable development
- Democratic governance and peacebuilding
- Climate and disaster resilience
In all our activities, we encourage the protection of human rights and the empowerment of women, minorities and the poorest and most vulnerable.
Duties and Responsibilities
The intern will assist in the following duties and responsibilities:
The Intern will work as part of the Finance Unit
- Expose the intern to financial activities.
- Provide technical support.
- Summarized Business Skills & Entrepreneurship and Enterprise Development training reports including lessons learnt.
- Mapping Finance Unit requirement for reporting.
Learning opportunities for intern
Familiarizing him/herself with financial activities
- Support other/ad hoc activities as seen relevant and needed.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Under guidance of the Finance Assistant, familiarize him/herself with financial reports such as petty cash reports.
- Familiarize him/herself with the preparation of VAT claims reports to be submitted to Tax Authorities.
- Provide technical support for the daily activities of Finance Unit.
111. Other competencies and attitude:
- Interest and motivation in working in an international organization;
- Good analytical skills in gathering and consolidating data and research for practical implementation;
- Outgoing and initiative-taking person with a goal-oriented mind-set.
- Communicates effectively when working in teams and independently.
- Good in organizing and structuring various tasks and responsibilities.
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
- Responds positively to feedback and differing points of view;
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude.
V1. INTERNSHIP CONDITIONS
- All expenses connected with the internship will be borne by the intern or her/his sponsoring entity.
- UNDP accepts no responsibility for costs arising from accidents and/or illness or death incurred during the internship.
- Interns are responsible for obtaining necessary visas and arranging travel to and from the duty station where the internship will be performed.
- Interns are not eligible to apply for, or be appointed to, any post in UNDP during the period of the internship.
- Interns must provide proof of enrolment in health insurance plan;
- Interns are not staff members and may not represent UNDP in any official capacity;
- Interns are expected to work full time, but flexibility is allowed for education programmes;
- Interns need to obtain financing for subsistence and make own arrangements for internship, travel, VISA, accommodation, etc.
- Interns will accrue leave at the rate of 1 ½ days per month.
- Where an intern is not financially supported by any institution or programme, such as a university, government, foundation or scholarship programme, a stipend intended to help cover basic daily expenses related to the internship, such as meals and transportation at the duty station, must be paid by the receiving office.
Required Skills and Experience
V. Qualifications, skills and knowledge:
- Undergoing post degree studies in Finance, Accounting, Business Administration or any related field.
- Good knowledge of Microsoft Office software.
- Good communication skill
- English required.
- Knowledge of other UN languages is an advantage.