Who We Are: Kaya Responsible Travel
At Kaya, we promote sustainable social, environmental and economic development, empower communities, and cultivate educated, compassionate global citizens. Based in 30+ countries across Asia, Africa and Latin America, we offer ethical, well-supported virtual and in-person internships and service-learning placements of varying lengths and start dates. Work on community-led, grassroots projects in a wide variety of fields, from business management to wildlife conservation and everything in between. At Kaya, we expertly match each unique participant to projects that suit their skills, interests and needs. Join us on a Kaya program to experience cultural exchange that has a real, positive impact. We look forward to getting to know you!
About Our Internships
Kaya's internships all share one common, unique and important feature - they make a difference. They all align with our mission and genuinely benefit local communities and/or environments.
Our internship placements have been developed to provide in-depth opportunities and experiences for participants looking to work within specific fields. Interns are guided by a local supervisor who can provide valuable feedback and assess the work being carried out.
In general, internship placements are at least four weeks long, with regular, rolling start dates throughout the year.
We coordinate internships in a wide variety of academic fields including the following:
- Animal Sciences and Wildlife - including Vet, Pre-Vet, Animal Studies and Conservation, Marine Science and Ecology/Zoology
- Business, Media and Communications - including Management and Entrepreneurship, Marketing, Social Media, Public Relations and Finance
- Computer Sciences and Information Technology (IT) and Communication - including Computer Literacy, Marketing and Social Media, and Graphic Design
- Creative Arts - including Architecture, Filming, Photography, Performing Arts, Fashion Designs and Management as well as Graphic Design
- Education - including Adult Education, Early Childhood Education, Primary and Secondary Education, Special Needs, and Sports Coaching
- Engineering - including Civil Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, and General Engineering and Building
- Environmental Sciences & Conservation - including Marine Conservation, Wildlife Conservation and Environmental Conservation
- Health and Well-Being - including Public Health, Health Awareness, Health Education, General Medicine Clinic-Based or Hospital-Based, Nursing, Midwifery and Women’s Health, Therapy, Nutrition, Dentistry, Pharmacy, and Speech Pathology
- International Development and Sustainability - including International Studies, International Development, Economics and Sustainability
- Kinesiology, Physical Therapy, and Sports Development - including Sports Coaching and Athletic Training
- Social and Behavioral Sciences and Culture - including Social Work, Social Justice and Human Rights, Gender Studies, and LGBTQ Issues
- Sustainable Agriculture and Food Security - including Agroforestry, Organic Farming and Sustainable Economic Development
Our locations are so wide-ranging, we can place you in the desert of Namibia or the Amazon in Ecuador. Visit our website for a full list of our locations, or speak to a placement advisor!
What Do Our Internships Include?
Kaya internships have fees associated with them. These fees include essentials like accommodations, and often, daily meals. Fees vary from internship to internship, so we would suggest browsing our website, where we have detailed project pages that include exact costs and inclusions, or, of course, feel free to email us. Our internships include the following:
- A structured placements with learning goals
- Engagement with your university or institution, if applicable, to ensure that the position fulfills internship or credit hour requirements; remember, credit may be available, so we would suggest speaking to your academic advisor
- Regular monitoring and feedback from an experienced supervisor
- Internship completion certificate
- Detailed pre-departure information
- Airport pick-up and drop-off (except on 6-month placements)
- Accommodations (a range of placements include meals)
- Onsite orientations and 24-hour access to support in-country
What Are Virtual Internships?
We provide virtual internships in five countries - Ecuador, Morocco, South Africa, Thailand and Vietnam. You can work from home and combine an internship placement with cultural immersion (and alums will receive a discount on future travel with Kaya). Join a cohort and learn about the local culture from our Country Directors; cook local dishes and get to know local students. We can accommodate a wide range of interests, with internships in many fields and academic areas - from Public Health to Communications.
Visit our website at www.KayaVolunteer.com to learn more about our international internships!