Civil Engineer Officer for COVID-Resilient Election in Timor-Leste (CORE-TL) Project
As a Small Island post-conflict country, Timor-Leste is facing a number of development challenges despite noticeable progress since independence in 2002. These challenges have been further exacerbated by the outbreak of the novel Corona virus which resulted in a national State of Emergency in 2020, now extended into 2021, resulting in substantial negative socio-economic consequences for the Timorese people. On top of this, Timor-Leste is expecting a series of elections at the national and municipal level in 2021-2024. This not only presents a risk for the spread of the virus as people gather for the election, but equally, hinders the continued practice of representative democratic elections if not conducted, and thus, undermining democratic governance.
In response to this, UNDP has initiated the ‘COVID-Resilient Elections in Timor-Leste (CORE-TL)’ project to ensure continued and strengthened democratic governance and successful elections. Funded by the Government of Japan, and in partnership with the national Electoral Management Bodies (EMBs), the project aims to:
1. support municipal EMB offices to become COVID-resilient, accessible, and environmentally friendly;
2. address the underlying issues of long-term resilience to pandemics such as COVID by developing COVID-Resilient Election Plan and Manuals;
3. provide effective and innovative electoral and COVID-19 awareness communication;
4. strengthen the participation and representation of youth, women, and persons with disabilities in politics.
As a result of the project, Timor-Leste will be equipped to carry out COVID-resilient, democratic, and inclusive elections at both the national and sub-national level. This ultimately supports the sustainable development of Timor-Leste, the achievement of Agenda 2030, and the strengthening of accessible, accountable, and gender-responsive governance systems, institutions, and services at both the national and municipal levels.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the direct supervision of the National Project Manager (NPM) and the IUNV Civil Engineer Specialist, and in coordination with the National Architect, the National Civil Engineer Officer will:
Management of Civil Works:
- Conduct site assessments, measurements, identify soil conditions, etc. to inform designs.
- In coordination with the project’s Architect, develop detailed designs, drawings, Bill of Quantity (BOQs), and Technical Specification documents for the 6 new building for the Election Management Bodies (STAE & CNE) and 7 rehabilitations of existing offices in the targeted municipality under component 1 of the project. These will include preliminary work, civil work, plumbing work, electoral work, and furnishing.
- Prepare Quality Assurance System Guideline and instructions for the project monitoring to be done by both UNDP CORE-TL project team and EMBs;
- Monitor construction works as per the contractual provisions and design specifications, and in accordance with established procedures including Covid-Resilient infrastructures, gender-sensitive approaches, accessibility, and sustainability;
- Verify construction works and conduct materials testing to ensure they are consistent with the project technical specifications, and inform the International UNV Civil Engineer and Project Manager of any deviations;
- Supervise the overall implementation of works to ensure they are completed on time, within budget, and to a high-quality standard, including taking timely action to prevent potential delays and/or cost overruns that can be avoided;
- Ensure that health & safety measures are adopted and followed to the full extent and with no deviation, and if needed instruct additional safety measures;
- Ensure that the infrastructure is Covid/disaster resilient, gender and accessibility inclusive, and sustainable.
Monitoring and Reporting of Civil Works:
- Support in preparing periodic progress reports, site monitoring reports and minutes, stakeholder meetings minutes, engineer’s instructions and variation orders, contractor’s bill review reports, certifications, etc.;
- Take pictures and collate operational documents in digital formats for the contract records and duly maintain an electronic library of photos/documents of the progress of the works, and ensure that the daily records are kept in the site workbook;
- Report and verify the quantities of works prepared by the contractor – review each payments certificate of the contractors and assist in the verification of the quantities;
- Collate all documentations for the payment requests for each statement;
- Monitor the workplans and inform the International UNV Civil Engineer and Project Manager for any deviation;
- Provide regular feedback to the International UNV Civil Engineer and the National Project Manager of any problem which may arise with the Contractor;
- Support in the preparation of inspection for the substantial completion of the construction;
- Conduct monitoring and reporting of the construction work after the retention period before last payment;
- Support in the preparation of the completion/handover/close-out reports, events, and technical site visits;
Support Procurement of Civil Works:
- Support the project’s Procurement Team with technical assistance in preparation of tender documentation and bid analysis as required;
- Strictly follow UNDP procurement terms and conditions of recruitment and payment disbursement procedures.
- Ensure that all tendering and contracting is performed in accordance with stated procedures.
Facilitate knowledge building and knowledge sharing on engineering monitoring and evaluation:
- Contribute to the dissemination and sharing of best practices and lessons learned for development planning and knowledge building, including those on gender-sensitive approaches, accessibility, and Covid-resilient infrastructures;
- Assist in providing training to national personnel and contractor’s personnel, and advice on good construction practices, good environmental management practices, and appropriate health and safety standards during construction;
- Collaborate and coordinate with EMBs, and other stakeholders on engineering issues, as well as conduct joint monitoring to strengthen cooperation and coordination;
- Participate in the professional engineering community, remaining abreast of latest developments and professional norms, standards, tools, and methodologies.
The Civil Engineer Officer will be based in Dili with frequent travel to the project sites to conduct assessment and monitoring of civil works.
Impact of Results
The key results will have an impact on the effective and timely delivery of the CORE-TL project. As one of the first and largest Covid-resilient election project for the UNDP Timor-Leste office, the successful delivery of the project will result in a stronger, more strategic, position of the UNDP Timor-Leste.
- Demonstrates integrity by modeling the UN’s values and ethical standards
- Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UNDP
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
Knowledge Management and Learning
- Promotes knowledge management in UNDP and a learning environment in the office through leadership and personal example
- Actively works towards continuing personal learning and development in one or more Practice Areas, acts on learning plan and applies newly acquired skills
Development and Operational Effectiveness
- Ability to lead strategic planning, results-based management and reporting
- Ability to lead formulation, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of development programmes and projects
- Ability to formulate and manage budgets, manage contributions and investments, manage transactions, conduct financial analysis, reporting and cost-recovery
- Ability to implement new systems and affect staff behavioral/attitudinal change
- Strong IT skills, knowledge of ATLAS system desirable
- Excellent knowledge of financial rules and regulations, accounting
- Excellent knowledge of Results Management Guide and Toolkit
Management and Leadership
- Builds strong relationships with clients, focuses on impact and result for the client and responds positively to feedback
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude
- Demonstrates good oral and written communication skills
- Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities
Required Skills and Experience
- Bachelor or master’s degree in Engineering, Architecture, Construction Management.
- At least 4 years of relevant experience for bachelor’s degree and at least 2 years for Masters’ degree in construction/management of infrastructure through results-based management approach;
- Proficiency in AutoCAD or other design software’s and applications associated in infrastructure design;
- Experience drafting BOQs, conducting field assessments, and monitoring of infrastructure;
- Knowledge of Timor-Leste’s Building Codes and Guidelines;
- Knowledge of climate proofing infrastructure standards for design and construction;
- Experience in handling of tender documents for sizeable engineering works, including technical inputs/specifications for the procurement of services using the conditions of international lending/funding agencies;
- Use of project management-related software (e.g., MS Project and Excel);
- Experience working with Government institutions;
- Knowledge of UNDP procurement system is an asset.
- Proficiency in spoken and written English
Important applicant information
All posts in the SC categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.