Sudan: Finance and Administration Officer
Khartoum (Sudan) | Sudan
ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY
Internews is seeking a Finance and Administration Officer for a USAID/DRL-funded media support project in Khartoum, Sudan. The Finance and Administration Officer will provide technical expertise on budget monitoring and will work closely with the Middle East and North Africa (MENA) Regional Accountant and Business Officer to monitor spending trends and ensure budget compliance. Reporting to the Sudan Country Director, the Finance and Administration Officer will be responsible for all aspects regarding finance, accounting, and administration and will ensure compliance with approval policies and procedures. They will also follow up on the delivery of funds as required.
OUR COMMITMENT TO FOSTERING A CULTURE OF BELONGING
We are an organization of dynamic, mission-driven individuals who are passionate about our core values and about supporting positive change in the world. We pride ourselves on our commitment to innovation and flexibility. We believe that diverse teams are strong teams, and work to support an ethic of belonging, dignity and justice for all people. Our current team includes a mix of genders, parents and non-parents, and people of multiple races, nationalities, ages, sexual orientations, and socioeconomic backgrounds. We are an EEO employer and encourage candidates of all races, genders, ages, orientations, ethnicities and national origins to apply.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES include the following:
- Support the Project Manager as well as the Headquarters team in overall project management;
- Monitor program accounting and documentation to ensure compliance with funder requirements and Internews' internal policies and procedures;
- Manage all accounting entries in the financial system;
- Monitor payments to stakeholders and partners and the payroll cycle;
- Prepare monthly projections and ensure timely submission of wire transfer requests (WTRs) for approval;
- Manage cash and bank reconciliations and track business advances to project staff;
- Keep and reconcile petty cash in secure location for small financial transactions;
- Oversee banking transactions, including deposits, bank statement collection, and wire processing and ensure compliance with proper approval procedures;
- Maintain banking files, including a list of signatories and agents of the Khartoum office;
- Ensure compliance with local regulations regarding financial and other administrative matters,including registration, taxation, and labor laws;
- Monitor program expenditure against budget, forecasting planned expenditures throughout the project lifecycle;
- Communicate and coordinate with program teams in collaboration with the Project Manager;
- Support MENA Regional Accountant and Business Officer in ensuring that projects comply with all administrative requirements, donor regulations, and laws regarding local staff;
- Review subgrantee financial reports and documents, including vouchers and transactions, and advise on best practices regarding accounting and compliance;
- Maintain a record of funds disbursed to subgrantees and review accruals;
- Manage month-end closing cycle; and
- In all duties, an understanding of and demonstrated commitment to upholding Internews' Core Values.
QUALIFICATIONS WE'RE LOOKING FOR:
- Ability to work and reside in Khartoum
- University degree in Finance or Accounting; Master's degree preferred
- A minimum of five years of professional experience in international project management, financial management, financial analysis, or contract management
- Experience with USAID/DRL-funded proposals is an asset
- Experience managing and/or training staff and local partners
- Proven analytical and problem-solving skills
- Advanced computer proficiency, Excel required
- Fluency in English and Arabic is required
Note: This position is posted in a High or Extreme Physical Risk Location. Conditions in the field may include, but are not limited to the following: compound living quarters, limited mobility outside of designated areas, limited in-country medical care or pharmacy, limited access to fresh fruit and vegetables, limited access to high-speed internet, dress code requirements, unaccompanied posting, and required advanced safety and security training. If selected for an interview for this position, ensure you discuss the specifics of living and working in this unique operating environment and consider them at length during the recruitment process.
To apply, please submit CV and optionally a cover letter via our Careers page.