Monitoring & Evaluation Officer
The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster. At work today in over 40 countries and 22 U.S. cities, we restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure. The IRC leads the way from harm to home. The IRC has been working in Uganda since 1998 supporting nationals and refugees and various institutions in the country notably the government, community-based organizations, the civil society and the private sector. The current program portfolio in Uganda includes health, peace building, gender-based violence, economic recovery and agribusiness, and children & youth. IRC has a country office in Kampala, and field offices including Kitgum, Moroto, Kiryandongo, Yumbe, Kyaka II and Imvepi
Scope of Work:
Women’s Protection and Empowerment (WPE) Program strives to work with local structures to facilitate community-based and community-driven approaches to contribute to GBV prevention and response, including youth to facilitate a violence free community for women and girls. With funding from UNFPA, IRC will work to address socio-cultural and economic barriers that hinder HIV preventive behaviours and constrain timely access to sexual reproductive health, HIV and GBV prevention treatment and care services among adolescents and youth 10-24 years.
Under the supervision of the M&E and WPE Managers, the Monitoring & Evaluation Officer (M&EO) will ensure quality data is obtained, stored and accessible through development, performance, integrity and security of the Protection program database. S/he is to supervise and participate in all data collection, data cleaning and input, ensuring a robust data base with analysis and data interpretation on which to base program decisions
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Take lead to implement the project M&E plan, program documentation guide and maintain a robust M&E system for the project.
- Support compilation of quantitative and qualitative data to showcase WPE program, covering all program outcome areas.
- Ensure forms, databases, and record keeping comply with international and IRC standards of working with GBV survivors/PSNs and maintain the highest levels of confidentiality.
- In close collaboration with the Managers, lead the development of strong data collection tools and monitoring and evaluation plans for the program.
- Develop and control user access permissions for each database according to program management specifications.
- Ensure efficient systems in place for program staff to collect and compile relevant and concise information for routine project reports and occasional special reports as required. Additionally, should maintain and up to date databases.
- Assist in creating standards for capturing data and its storage in the database in accordance to the IRC Measurement universal expectations.
- Support the provision of technical training and capacity building in monitoring and evaluation to program staff.
- Perform regular field visits, conduct DQA and data spot checks to ensure the quality of data collected by Program staff and to verify the accuracy of the data reported.
- Support program teams in analyzing and interpreting monitoring and evaluation of data.
- Support the M&E Manager to ensure that donor, partner, and Senior Management data queries are addressed in an accurate and timely manner.
- Assist the M&E Manager and program heads in implementing the IRC’s monitoring for Action standards.
- Provide the program staff and districts with monthly reports on indicator trends.
- Periodically document success stories and lessons learnt for the programs in implementation.
- Maintain a good record keeping system and undertake continuous monitoring and regular evaluation of project activities.
- Support the operation of project feedback channels.
- Support the recording of feedback, analyses, and accessibility of feedback data for programmatic decision making.
- Support program staff to engage in continuous data quality improvement and support project staff to frequently use data for program improvement by ensuring good visualization and dissemination of program data.
- Provide regular feedback to the program teams on project implementation through monthly reports on indicator trends and learning.
- Assist in preparation of donor reports.
Key Working Relationships:
Directly reports to: M&E Manager
Directly supervises: None
Indirect reporting: Field Coordinator, Senior WPE Manager.
Other internal and/or external contacts:
Internal: Close coordination with other IRC Departments.
External: Close collaboration with local actors (local NGOs, UN agencies, government) and service providers’ part of the survivors of sexual and gender-based violence (SGBV) referral system.