Advisor (f/m/x) for disaster prevention and management in Nepal
Fullness of life for all in a transformed Nepali society is the vision of United Mission of Nepal. In performing this service, its employees are oriented towards the values of hope, peace, safety and justice. UMN is active in all development-related areas.
Climate change and earthquakes have caused UMN to strengthen their work in the field of disaster prevention and risk management. Its organizational culture is marked by Christian values combined with a Nepalese management style. With over 60 years of experience and an international network, the organization is based in Kathmandu.
You will contribute to capacity building in disaster risk reduction and disaster management at UMN and its partner organizations. You will analyze opportunities for self-help, design training courses and further expand the international network. Particularly, you will advise UMN and its partner organizations on how to improve the quality and accountability of the humanitarian system to the people affected by a disaster.
In more detail, you would be responsible for the following:
Introduction of humanitarian standards for quality and accountability
- Risk analysis taking into consideration participatory approaches and risk assessment
- Analyzing and identifying potential for self-help
- Drawing up teaching materials
- Conceptualizing and carrying out trainings as well as mentoring
- Building a more extensive international network
- Professional experience in humanitarian work, preferably in developing countries
- Sound background in standards for disaster management
- A relevant university degree, minimum Bachelor, preferably in catastrophe management
- Competency in English (both written and spoken)
- Strong logical and analytical skills
- Improvisational skills
- Pleasure in empowering people/colleagues
- Openness and motivation for social integration into the culture of Nepal and of UMN
- Ability to travel for business in the region
Citizenship of a Member State of the European Union or Switzerland is required.
Benefits provided by Bread for the World and Dienste in Übersee
Bread for the World provides a framework in which the professionals of Dienste in Übersee share their knowledge and skills with people of another culture. Supportive cooperation, mutual learning and intercultural exchange are enabled by:
- Individual preparation
- Three year contract with benefits in accordance with the German Development Aid Workers Act
Please send your application HERE
Dienste in Übersee gGmbH
Please note that, due to the current global restrictions caused by the Covid 19 pandemic, it is not possible to set definitive dates for selection and departure at this time. Nevertheless, we look forward to receiving your application and will work with you individually to find the best current job opportunities.