Programme Officer (Monitoring Systems)
• FAO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality, background and culture
• Qualified female applicants, qualified nationals of non-and under-represented Members and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply
• Everyone who works for FAO is required to adhere to the highest standards of integrity and professional conduct, and to uphold our values. FAO has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and FAO, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination.
• All selected candidates will undergo rigorous reference and background checks
• All applications will be treated with the strictest confidentiality
• The incumbent may be re-assigned to different activities and/or duty stations depending on the evolving needs of the Organization.
The Office of the Deputy Director-General supports the strategic coordination function of Deputy Director-General responsible for Regional Offices. Liaises with Regional Offices, Liaison Offices and with headquarters units for strategic and policy matters related to Decentralized Offices (DOs). Prepares recommendations and guidance related to the strategic coordination of Decentralized Offices (Regional and Liaison Offices); Supports the development and consolidation of transformational adjustments for DOs business models and managerial systems. Coordinates the formulation of guidance on Country Office Reporting Policies, works with Regional offices for the preparation of Country Office Annual Reports, Regional Synthesis Reports, Global Synthesis report with Programme Support Unit of DDG. Guides knowledge management initiatives in support to DOs exchanges of good practices, lessons learned and innovations across regions.
The Programme Officer reports to the Special Advisor to the DDG.
• Support to strategic coordination of decentralised offices.
• Information management and monitoring of decentralised offices management.
• Support to knowledge management initiatives of decentralised offices.
Develop, implement, monitor and evaluate assigned programme/projects.
• Carries out basic research on selected aspects of programmes, operations and other activities; collects, analyses and presents statistical data and other information gathered from diverse sources;
• Provides substantive support for policy coordination and evaluation functions, including the review and analysis of emerging development issues and trends, participation in impact evaluation or equivalent studies;
• Participates in survey initiatives; issues data collection tools, reviews, analyses and interprets responses, identifies problems/issues and prepares preliminary conclusions;
• Contributes to the preparation of various written outputs, e.g. draft background papers, analytical notes, sections of reports and studies, inputs to publications;
• Undertakes outreach activities; participates in the development of training workshops, seminars; participates in and makes presentations on assigned topics/activities;
• Participates in field missions, including provision of substantive and administrative support, data collection, etc.;
• Coordinates activities related to budget funding (programme/project preparation and submissions, progress reports, financial statements) and preparation of related documents/reports (pledging, work programme, programme budget.), as necessary.
• Participates in the review and analysis of emerging issues and trends in the Decentralized Offices support linkages and relationships between headquarters and Decentralized Offices;
• Collects information for the Decentralized Offices on FAO policies and decision related to decentralization including technical, operational and programme issues;
• Prepares documentation and compiles reports on matters pertaining to Decentralised Offices Networks
• Analyzes, prepares summaries and supports management of Country Annual Reports cycle, contributes to the preparation of aggregated and synthesis reports as required (Regional Synthesis Reports and Global Synthesis Reports and Follow up Actions), with a focus on trends, lessons-learned, good practices and innovations; liaises with pertinent divisions in HQ to discuss the findings;
• Manages Microsoft Team Page, Sharepoint and Dashboards for knowledge exchange with Decentralized Offices
• Prepares and coordinates analytical products, documentation and support knowledge management initiatives involving regional/liaison and country offices, including the preparation and management of Think Labs, (solutions' laboratories) in support to DOs exchanges of good practices, lessons learned and innovations across regions, prepares reports and document the knowledge management initiatives;
• Supports the Special Advisor to the DDG in monitoring management indicators of Decentralized Offices
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
• Advanced university degree in business administration or public administration, social science, political science or a related field
• Three years of relevant experience in project or programme management, administration or related area;
• Working knowledge of English and limited knowledge of another FAO official language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian or Spanish)
• Results Focus
• Building Effective Relationships
• Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
• Work experience in more than one location or area of work, particularly in field positions is desirable
• Experience in the design or establishment of monitoring systems and knowledge of the related tools are strong assets
• Extent and relevance of experience in programme/project formulation, analysis, planning and implementation
• Extent of knowledge of planning and budgetary processes and associated tools
• Understanding of FAO policies, programmes and systems is considered a strong asset
• Ability to write and analytical skills