Senior Manager, HIV Prevention
United States (United States of America)
Senior Manager, HIV Prevention
- United States
- Full Time
- Program (Division)
- Infectious Disease - Global HIV Access Program
- Additional Location Description
- This position has flexibility to be based in a CHAI program country in Southern Africa, pending CHAI country leadership approval
The Clinton Health Access Initiative, Inc. (CHAI) is a global health organization committed to saving lives and reducing the burden of disease in low-and middle-income countries, while strengthening the capabilities of governments and the private sector in those countries to create and sustain high-quality health systems that can succeed without our assistance. For more information, please visit: http://www.clintonhealthaccess.org
Although there has been a remarkable decline in new HIV infections over the last two decades, since 2018 there has been a stagnation in the reduction of new cases globally, as well as increases in new HIV infections among certain geographies and populations-- despite the existence and implementation of multiple effective prevention interventions. Scaling up access to safe, effective prevention options that meet the needs of those at high risk of HIV is essential to eliminating new HIV infection and reaching epidemic control. However, various barriers – individual and systemic –persist, limiting the impact of proven HIV prevention interventions, especially in sub-Saharan Africa (SSA). CHAI is currently working with Ministries of Health in SSA and a broad range of partners globally to accelerate the development, introduction, and scale up of HIV prevention interventions. CHAI is leveraging, documenting, and sharing lessons from supporting the scale up of VMMC and oral PrEP to strengthen HIV prevention program integration, outcomes, and sustainability and to advance planning for CAB-LA and the dual prevention pill (DPP) introduction.
CHAI's HIV Access Program is seeking a Senior Manager to support HIV prevention. The HIV Prevention Senior Manager (SM) will coordinate and provide technical assistance (TA) to CHAI’s prevention programs, lead various aspects of donor engagement and fundraising, and serve as a resource within CHAI on HIV prevention and cross-program sustainability topics. The SM will also work closely with governments, donors, and CHAI teams to establish goals and milestones, develop tools and processes to ensure HIV prevention country responses are increasingly locally-owned and sustainable, and galvanize sector-wide partner coordination.
The SM is a highly motivated individual with outstanding credentials, demonstrated project management experience, communication skills, and analytical ability. The SM will function independently and flexibly and has a strong commitment to excellence. Managing a team of three FTEs, the SM works with CHAI global and country teams, providing strategic direction, managing the interplay of country and donor needs, and preparing financial and programmatic reports. The SM reports to the HIV Prevention Director and works closely with relevant country team leadership, staff, and stakeholders in focal countries, as well as global VMMC and relevant HIV prevention donors and stakeholders.
- Actively support country and global HIV prevention teams to develop strategic work plans and monitor progress, identifying challenges and supporting the identification of solutions.
- Ensure dissemination of in-country analyses to the global VMMC and/or HIV prevention community.
- Proactively communicate to the HIV Prevention Director developments within country programs and the operating environment that may have an impact on grant outcomes.
- Meet weekly (or as needed) with the global team and individual global team members for program updates, strategizing and planning purposes.
- Maintain internal CHAI relationships with Country Directors and country program leads via monthly touchpoints or more frequently as required based on program needs.
- Manage and coach program staff, establish performance goals, and ensure grant deliverables and government milestones are of high quality and produced timeously.
- Support HIV Prevention Director in fostering a collaborative team environment which supports and engages team members.
- Conduct bi-annual performance appraisals as well as real-time feedback sessions to provide guidance and mentorship to program managers and staff.
- Develop, monitor, and effectively manage program budgets ensuring that activities are executed according to the work plan and approved budgets for programs within span of control.
- Build and maintain institutional capacity and identify and facilitate opportunities for inter-country and inter-program knowledge sharing.
- Support and review key analyses on major program deliverables including identifying project risks and help develop solutions.
Strategy and Grant Development
- Support the HIV Prevention Director in refining CHAI’s overall HIV Prevention Strategy and continually identify opportunities for CHAI to add value and maximize impact based on its core strengths.
- Working closely with the HIV Prevention Director, support development of future HIV prevention grant proposals.
- Develop detailed workplans and preliminary budgets based on grant frameworks.
- Work collaboratively with other teams to identify and advance opportunities and synergies for program collaboration.
Grant and Stakeholder Management
- Manage all donor reporting requirements and ensure grant milestones and deliverables are completed on time and are of high quality.
- Together with the HIV Prevention Director, manage all donor related engagements.
- Lead in the collaboration and coordination of key partners within the program.
- Represent CHAI in key strategic and technical meetings.
Other responsibilities as needed.
- Undergraduate degree and a minimum of 8 years work experience, with increasing levels of responsibility and leadership. Advanced degree a plus
- Ability to work independently and effectively in high-pressure, fast-paced environment
- Excellent written and oral communication, with skill in making persuasive presentations and written reports
- Exceptional diplomatic and interpersonal skills, and ability to build strong professional relationships with a range of stakeholders in a multi-cultural environment
- Demonstrated strong analytical, organizational, leadership, and problem-solving skills
- Ability to effectively scope problems, anticipate and pre-empt emerging issues, and make decisions with conviction even in highly ambiguous contexts
- Ability to effectively mentor and lead teams virtually
- Willingness to travel ~40-60% (once pandemic restrictions are lifted)
- Knowledge and experience in the HIV prevention space
- Previous experience working in Sub-Saharan Africa
- Experience working in health programs that have strong local ownership, integrated programming and/or sustainability planning a plus