Programme Specialist (STAR-C)
The International Solar Alliance (ISA) is an international organization headquartered in Gurgaon, National Capital Region of India. The vision and mission of the ISA is to provide a dedicated platform for cooperation among solar resource rich countries where the global community, including bilateral and multilateral organizations, corporates, industry, and other stakeholders, can make a positive contribution to assist and help achieve the common goals of increasing the use of solar energy in meeting energy needs of the ISA Member Countries in a safe, convenient, affordable, equitable and sustainable manner.
The ISA’s STAR-C Network is the ISA’s flagship capacity building programme, supporting ISA Member Countries to meet their sustainable energy needs through the scaled-up application of locally and/or regionally appropriate best practice solar energy technologies. The Network will bridge gaps identified by existing baseline analysis (of existing and regional solar energy activities), providing tailored support adapted to local context, including the strengthening national and – as appropriate – regional, ecosystems for solar energy deployment and the creation of a global network of knowledge and expertise on solar energy deployment. The Programme Specialist, STAR-C, will report to the Chief of Unit, Communications, Events and International Partnerships.
Duties and Responsibilities
1. Develop Programme Initiatives and Project Outlines
- Work with ISA Member countries and project partners to identify, analyse and communicate Network priorities and needs, particularly but not limited to the fields of training, testing and knowledge dissemination, including through the design of data collection tools to identify those priorities and needs, the review, analysis and interpretation of responses, and the identification of issues and solutions, and preparation of conclusions.
- Assist with the development and implementation of membership criteria for Network participation, including supporting the on-boarding of Network members and liaison with Network members on their continued involvement.
2. Relationships with Other Member countries and Organizations
- Assist with the development of strategic partnerships and the strategic development of ISA.
- Develop productive working relationships with key stakeholders with ISA Member countries, and with project partners, and identify and builds such relationships with prospective Network partners.
- Participate in the development, implementation, and evaluation of the Network activities, including the delivery of training, support for testing and knowledge dissemination.
- Monitor and analyse activity development and implementation; review relevant documents and reports; identify problems and issues to be addressed and propose corrective actions.
- Liaison with relevant parties and identify, tracks, and implement follow-up actions.
- Provide substantive support to consultations, technical workshops and other meetings, conferences, webinars etc, relating to Network activities, including proposing agenda topics, identifying, and proposing participants, preparing background documents, and delivering presentations.
3. Advocacy and Communication
- Prepare and review various written outputs relating to the activities and results of the Network, e.g., draft background papers, analysis, sections of reports and studies, inputs to publications, etc.
- Support advocacy and communication efforts, and facilitate their dissemination as culturally and linguistically appropriate materials.
- Coordinate’s activities related to the Network (including project preparation and submissions, annual and semi-annual, and progress reports against agreed milestones,)
- Prepare related documents and reports (including Network work programme and programme budget)
Performs other duties as required, in area of work.
Professionalism: Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines, and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
Communication: Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; Listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarify and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; tailors’ language, tone, style, and format to match audience; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
Planning and Organizing: Ability to plan and organize assignments. Identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required. Allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work. Uses time efficiently. Demonstrates high degree of autonomy in the discharge of assignments.
Teamwork: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
Leadership: Proven ability to lead teams of diverse staff; training and develop staff; successful counsel and conduct performance management; provide vision and direction to a team and lead the team to undertake innovative work.
- Advanced university degree (Master's degree or equivalent) in economics, engineering, energy, management, business administration, public administration, or a related field.
- A first-level university degree in combination with 2 years of additional relevant experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- A minimum of 5 years of relevant professional experience in the implementation and monitoring of technical cooperation projects, preferably in fields related to solar or the renewable energy sector, is required.
- Relevant experience in the development and/or implementation of training programmes, and/or in the development and/or implementation of solar applications, and/or in the establishment and/or management of research and development centres is desirable.
- The role demands substantial writing and verbal communications skills. As English is the official and working language of the Organization, excellent command of both written and spoken English is required.
- Knowledge of other languages (i.e., French, Spanish and Arabic) would be an advantage.
- Satisfactory skills in Outlook, MS Office products, and various ERP systems is highly desirable.
Qualified candidates must apply for the above-mentioned vacancy on-line, through ISA’s portal. Any applicants who have difficulties applying through the online portal should immediately contact the ISA secretariat at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The ISA is striving to achieve gender parity at all levels as it proceeds with the recruitment of both locally and internationally recruited staff. In this regard, female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply for all positions within the organization.
The ISA maintains a retirement age of 65 years.
Please note that only candidates under serious consideration will be contacted for an interview and will receive notice of the outcome of the selection process.
The ISA retains the right to cancel the selection process if it is determined in the best interest of the Organization.
The ISA does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names, and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.
In addition to the salary, the ISA will provide the following allowances to the selected candidate:
a. Dependency allowances (for eligible spouse and up to 3 children)
b. Annual and sick leave (Annual leave accredited at 2.5 days per month)
c. Health insurance premium contribution as per ISA rules
d. Pension contributions (ISA will contribute a lump sum payment equivalent to UN common system rates (15.8% of net salary).
e. Income tax reimbursement (the ISA provides for national income tax reimbursement upon proof of payment