Regional Program Manager – Middle East and North Africa (MENA)
The Programs Department is the central management and coordination function for program development, program delivery and capacity development at IDLO. It is responsible for the implementation of IDLO’s global program portfolio for field and non-field locations in line with organizational strategy.
Reporting to the Director of Programs, the Regional Program Manager Middle East and North Africa (MENA) is responsible for leading the development and implementation of innovative and complex programs to deliver on IDLO’s Strategic Plan 2021-2024. The Regional Program Manager leads and supervises program teams in HQ and senior managers in regional and country offices. The successful candidate leads the development of regional and country strategies and ensures the development and delivery of IDLO’s programmatic portfolio in the assigned region. The Regional Program Manager engages in resource mobilization, supports IDLO’s policy research and represents IDLO with governmental and other national counterparts, donors, bilateral and multilateral partners, civil society organizations and thinks-tanks.
In particular, the Regional Program Manager MENA will be expected to:
1. Ensure the alignment of regional and country strategies with IDLO’s Strategic Plan 2021-2024:
- Lead and oversee the development of regional and country strategies, oversee their implementation and ensure the accountability of Regional and Country Offices for key performance indicators and alignment with organizational strategy.
2. Ensure overall program management and oversight:
- Manage the IDLO program portfolio for MENA, including providing substantive and managerial guidance to country and regional managers, program personnel and technical experts, ensuring HQ backstopping and undertaking periodic field visits;
- Exercise financial and budgetary oversight over programs in the assigned region;
- Maintain an overview of IDLO programs and ensure that progress, results and key achievements are monitored, captured and shared with management and donors, both orally and through regular reports;
- Oversee the design of implementation plans by means of program cycle management tools, logic models and frameworks, work plans, monitoring reports, and others;
- Identify and report on issues relating to program implementation and oversee the development and implementation of innovative solutions;
- Ensure compliance with IDLO’s policies, business processes, procedures and contractual obligations in relation to program management and implementation;
- Establish and maintain regular communications with program partners and stakeholders at HQ and field level;
- Foster effective communication and coordination with relevant IDLO HQ departments, branch offices and country offices.
3. Lead program teams and ensure effective, efficient, results-focused and timely delivery of activities:
- Effectively lead regional program teams by providing clear direction, ensuring performance management and addressing professional development through ongoing dialogue and mentoring; foster a teamwork approach and address possible conflicts in a positive and constructive manner; encourage initiative and maintain effective working relationships within a multi-cultural setting;
- Supervise and manage international and national technical experts and ensure that the work delivered meets quality standards;
- In collaboration with HR, develop staffing plans and engage in the recruitment and selection of employees and consultants;
- Oversee the monitoring of contracts and provide recommendations on amendments and changes to contracts.
4. Contribute to policy research on regional issues:
- In collaboration with concerned IDLO departments, design, research, draft, review and edit working papers, memos, briefs, and other original materials on justice, security and related developmental issues in the assigned regions;
- Ensure timely and accurate analysis of political, social, and economic events, trends, and/or developments in the assigned regions and respond to internal and external requests.
5. Lead program development and engage in resource mobilization:
- Under the supervision of the Director of Programs and in collaboration with other IDLO departments, generate ideas and identify opportunities for programmatic growth and engage in resource mobilization;
- Lead the design and drafting of program and project proposals, working papers, MoUs and other strategy and programmatic documents for the assigned region;
- Advance new donor and stakeholder partnerships and manage relations with external stakeholders and donors to maintain or enhance existing relationships to the benefit of IDLO.
- Represent IDLO with bilateral and multilateral donors and partners, host-country officials (government, parliament, judiciary), technical experts, civil society and think tanks, ensuring that programmatic achievements are shared to position IDLO as a partner in the work of development in the area of rule of law.
IDEAL CANDIDATE PROFILE
Education and Work Experience
- Master’s Degree in International Relations, Political Science, Law, International Development, Public Administration, Area Studies or a related field is required.
- Minimum of 10 years of significant and relevant professional experience within an international organization, NGO or government, designing and implementing complex/innovative programs.
- Significant regional experience in the Middle East and North Africa.
- Proven experience in the development and implementation of rule of law, justice sector reform, security sector reform, access to justice or gender justice programs.
- Fluency in English and Arabic is required; fluency in French is highly desirable.
Specific knowledge, skills and behavioral competencies
- Familiarity with standard program and data management tools, as well as results-based management and monitoring and evaluation approaches and tools;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills;
- Good knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint. Proficient use of other ICT applications;
- Proven experience in engaging with national/local authorities and multi-lateral organizations in the assigned regions;
- Excellent interpersonal skills and experience working in a diverse professional environment. Shares information and contributes, encourages and motivates others to become involved in team activities. Provides constructive feedback and willingly helps others. Contributes to a professional environment that fosters collaboration and cooperation. Works effectively across and within IDLO organizational boundaries;
- Acts as a role model and offers guidance to colleagues. Takes initiative to share knowledge, experiences and information with others. Accepts and gives constructive feedback (up, down and across) to develop and motivate others;
- Proven ability to see through tasks set and deliver results;
- Ability to work under pressure with tight deadlines, flexibility and an entrepreneurial spirit;
- Ability and willingness to travel even to high-conflict areas, if necessary;
- Keen sense of ethics, integrity, and commitment to IDLO’s mandate;
- Self-motivated and dynamic with a willingness and ability to use initiative to assist the organization to achieve its objectives.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
For this internationally professional recruited position, IDLO shall offer the selected candidate a Fixed Term Contract of 24 months, with possibility of extension subject to performance and availability of funding.
IDLO shall also offer a yearly basic salary of EUR 80,000 and a benefits package including provident fund contribution, medical insurance, leave entitlements including home leave in accordance with IDLO Employee Regulations and Rules. Relocation and installation support are also available for internationally recruited employees.
Salaries and benefits paid by IDLO to employees are exempt from taxation in Italy.IDLO employees are responsible for compliance with income tax laws of their country of nationality or residence and/or of any other relevant fiscal jurisdiction.
Applications will be screened on regular basis; a qualified applicant might be recruited before the deadline. In the interest of making most effective use of resources, only the short-listed candidates will be contacted during the selection process.
HOW TO APPLY
IDLO is an Equal Opportunity Employer and values diversity in all areas of its operations. We welcome and encourage diverse applications.
DISCLAIMER AND CLOSING DATE
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work being performed by the employee assigned to this work. This may not be an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities.
The Director-General of IDLO reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities or even to cancel the recruitment to meet business and organizational needs as necessary.
Closing date: 2 July, 2021