Head of Programme
Danish Refugee Council, one of the world’s leading humanitarian NGOs, is currently looking for a highly qualified Head of Programme for our office in Tripoli, Libya. As Head of Programme you will be responsible for the overall programmatic strategy across the entire country operation and supporting the Country Director in fundraising initiatives and donor communication and engagement.
About the job
As Head of Programme you will be a core member of the Senior Management Team and accountable for developing policies, processes and standards for DRC core sectors across areas of operation as well as accountable for the overall technical quality of country-wide programmes. You are responsible for partaking and ensuring external coordination regarding programming, shaping and driving an advocacy strategy and for engagement with DRC regional and HQ colleagues on programme strategy and learning. You will be accountable for effective monitoring, evaluation accountability and learning across all programmes as well as grants management processes and compliance with DRC procedures and guidelines. Your main duties and responsibilities will be:
- Lead and manage the Programme Coordination Team, including team structure, recruitment, performance, conduct, well-being and professional development.
- In conjunction with Area Managers, enable and oversee effective, efficient and timely implementation of all projects according to agreed contracts, budgets, policies, procedures and in accordance with specific donor requirements as per grants management processes.
- Ensure the timely and quality completion of regular internal and external reports, and other relevant information on programme activities, policy matters and external relations.
- Imbed MEAL into all stages of project implementation and ensure evidence based and adaptive management processes.
- Implement, coordinate on, and oversee the DRC administrative guidelines and policies, safety and security procedures, logistics support and other tasks associated with efficient programming.
- Lead engagement with consortia and partners on programming and coordination.
Programme and strategy development
- Lead on the development and roll out of the country programme strategy and ensure DRC core sector strategies are in place and in use.
- Identify opportunities for new projects and lead the development of concept papers, budgets, and project proposals with support from country team.
- Contribute to the overall management of the country operation as a member of the Senior Management Team.
- Coordinate with Heads of Department and Area Managers to promote quality programme and strategy implementation.
- Liaison with DRC regional and HQ colleagues regarding technical support, joint and/or complementary initiatives, and strategy and policy implementation.
- Ensure effective coordination and visibility of the implementation of the projects with all humanitarian and development actors.
- Increase the visibility and credibility of DRC’s programmes and maintain close relations with relevant stakeholders including donors.
- In support of the CD, engage with existing and potential donors on fundraising initiatives.
- Oversee the development and implementation of an evidence-based Advocacy strategy.
- Ensure correct and timely narrative and financial reporting to donors.
To be successful in this role we expect you to have at least 7 years' experience in relevant field and at least 4 years' experience with people management. Moreover, we also expect the following:
- A Master's degree in political science, international development, economics or other relevant field Experience in managing program operations, including at country senior management level
- Proven leadership skills and a competence in people management
- Experience with proposal development, budget development, program implementation, grants management and MEAL.
- Experience with effectively coordinating with national partners, local/government authorities, NGO partners, UNHCR and other relevant stakeholders
- Full professional proficiency in English
- Arabic an advantage
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’ five core competencies:
Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
Demonstrating integrity: Upholding and promoting the highest standards of ethical and professional conduct in relation to DRC’s values and Code of Conduct, including safeguarding against sexual exploitation, abuse and harassment.
Contract length: 24 months
Level: Senior Management, E
Designation of Duty Station: Tripoli with frequent travel to Tunis, non-family duty station
Start date: 18 July
Salary and conditions will be in accordance with Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of Employment for Expatriates. For questions regarding the vacancy please contact Avril Elliott, firstname.lastname@example.org.
All applicants must upload a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages) in English. Applications sent by email will not be considered.
Closing date for applications: 15 June
For further information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult our website drc.ngo.