The United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) is the UN’s global development network, advocating for change and connecting countries to knowledge, experience and resources to help people build a better life. We are on the ground in 170 countries and territories, working with governments and people on their own solutions to global and national development challenges to help empower lives and build resilient nations.
UNDP is a lead agency in UNAIDS for addressing the dimensions of HIV and AIDS relating to human rights, gender and sexual diversity. In addition, UNDP contributes to public health and development partnerships through collaborations with the Global Fund to Fight AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria (the ‘Global Fund’), Roll Back Malaria, Stop TB Partnerships, and special programmes on human reproduction and infectious diseases that disproportionately affect poor populations.
As part of its wider engagement with the United Nations, the Global Fund has partnered with UNDP since 2003 to ensure that grants are implemented and services are delivered in countries facing complex challenges. The partnership focuses on three closely linked areas of work: implementation support as interim Principal Recipient (PR), capacity development, and policy engagement. UNDP was nominated as the PR by the Country Coordinating Mechanism in December 2014 for the multi-country Western Pacific grants (TB and HIV; and Malaria (Vanuatu)) (the ‘Multi-country Programmes’). In 2017, the Global Fund approved the new Programme Continuation Request for 2018-2020 for 11 countries for HIV/TB and for malaria for Vanuatu.
For the implementation of the Multi-country Programmes, the UNDP Pacific Centre established a Programme Management Unit (PMU) to coordinate and oversee the implementation and to ensure compliance of the terms and conditions of the grant agreements with the Global Fund and UNDP rules, policies and procedures. The PMU coordinates with the PIRMCCM, Government and CSOs, regional partners, the Global Fund and other key stakeholders in the health and development sector (bi-laterals, private sector) and technical assistance providers.
Under the guidance and direct supervision of the Programme Manager of UNDP in Suva the Programme Analyst in Vanuatu is responsible for supporting the management of the UNDP Global Fund Multi-country Integrated Programme on HIV/TB and Malaria in Vanuatu. He/she is responsible for ensuring timely and efficient implementation of Programme activities in line with approved work plan and budget and signed sub-recipients agreements. The Programme Analyst will ensure monitoring of activities implemented by the sub-recipients. He/she will represent the Programme at the national level and liaise with relevant stakeholders and technical partners. Furthermore, he/she will support UNDP strategy to strengthen the technical and management capacity of the national institutions.
The Programme Analyst works in close collaboration with the Programme PMU based in Suva, UNDP Sub-Recipients (SRs) in Vanuatu, UN Agencies, Government officials, technical advisors and experts, multi-lateral and bi-lateral donors and civil society to ensure successful implementation of the Global Fund Multi-Country Western Pacific Programme.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of Key Functions:
- Implementation of Global Fund Multi-Country Programme strategies
- Effective management of Global Fund Multi-country Programmes in Vanuatu
- Creation of strategic partnerships and implementation of the resource mobilization strategy
- Provision of policy advice services to national partners and facilitation of knowledge building and management in Vanuatu
Ensures implementation of GF Multi-country programme strategies focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Assists in the design, development and monitoring of work plans, milestones and indicators for GF Multi-country programmes Sub-Recipients and implementing partners
- Supports in the SR management and application processes when necessary (development of necessary information notes; and guidelines for panel review, etc.)
- Supports country and NGO partners in the development of strategies to facilitate results- based implementation of Programme activities, in accordance with the action plans and within established budgets.
- Develops national/stakeholder engagement plans and tools to support the overall management of the programmes.
- Provides support to the Monitoring and Evaluation Analyst to monitor, review and follow up on the SR performance and assist in the preparation of reports.
- Ensures contribution to the programmatic feedback to sub recipients and service providers regarding performance and identified issues.
- Analyzes the Programme implementation bottlenecks and contributes to the development of solutions.
- Leads and coordinates the implementation of the VMOH Capacity Development Plan in line with the approved workplan and milestones
Ensures effective management of the Global Fund Multi-country programme, achieving the following results:
- Assumes the operational management of the Multi-country programme in Vanuatu – plan, initiate and manage project activities - in accordance with UNDP and Global Fund rules and procedures.
- Coordinates the implementation of the Multi-country programme with Sub-recipients and other regional/technical partners.
- Acts as focal point for malaria programme within the PMU.
- Focal point for the Malaria program technical assistance component of the grant in close collaboration with WHO and other partners
- Conducts financial and substantive monitoring and evaluation of the programme, identifies operational and financial problems, develops solutions.
- Monitors the Multi-country progamme and activity results against those planned, together with the cost of achieving those results.
- Supports the implementation of M&E action plan as agreed with the Global Fund.
- Ensures that the programme management module in ATLAS is updated on a quarterly basis.
- Aggregates reports on activities, outputs and outcomes. Contributes to donor reports.
- Participates in coordination of audits and follow up on audit recommendations. Timely reports on the status of each recommendation.
Ensures creation of strategic partnerships and implementation of a resource mobilization strategy focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Maintains close co-ordination between the GF programme with other disease initiatives in the country to ensure and promote continuity, partnership building and avoid duplication of programmatic activities.
- Participates and promotes the organization of events, forums etc. on HIV, TB and malaria prevention and control in order to fortify the different national structures.
Ensures provision of top quality advisory services and facilitation of knowledge building and management focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Provides guidance and capacity building to SRs and national entities. Develops training plan/curriculum for the SR financial and conducts trainings on GF performance based funding and financial reporting requirements management system.
- Synthesizes lessons learned and best practices. Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
- Coordinates the formation of the Donor Coordination and Program Implementation unit at the VMOH
- Conducts Capacity development trainings for the newly established Donor coordination and Program Implementation Unit at VMOH
Advocacy/Advancing A Policy-Oriented Agenda
- Identifies and communicates relevant information for a variety of audiences for advocating UNDP’s mandate
Results-Based Programme Development and Management
- Assesses project performance to identify success factors and incorporates best practices into project work
- Researches linkages across programme activities to identify critical points of integration
- Monitors specific stages of projects/programme implementation
- Analyzes country situation to identify opportunities for project development
- Participates in the formulation of project proposals and ensures substantive rigor in the design and application of proven successful approaches and drafts proposals accordingly
Building Strategic Partnerships
- Maintains an established network of contacts for general information sharing and to remain up-to-date on partnership related issues
- Analyzes and selects materials for strengthening strategic alliances with partners and stakeholders
Innovation and Marketing New Approaches
- Generates new ideas and proposes new, more effective ways of doing things
- Documents and analyses innovative strategies/best practices/new approaches
- Analyzes information/databases on potential and actual donors
- Develops a database of project profiles. Identifies opportunities for project proposals for presentation to donors
Promoting Organizational Learning and Knowledge Sharing
- Generates new ideas and approaches, researches best practices and proposes new, more effective ways of doing things
- Documents and analyses innovative strategies and new approaches
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise
- Understands and applies fundamental concepts and principles of a professional discipline or technical specialty relating to the position
- Possesses basic knowledge of organizational policies and procedures relating to the position and applies them consistently in work tasks
- Strives to keep job knowledge up-to-date through self-directed study and other means of learning
- Demonstrates good knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments
- Demonstrates in-depth understanding and knowledge of the current guidelines and project management tools and utilizes these regularly in work assignments
Global Leadership and Advocacy for UNDP’s Goals
- Identifies and communicates relevant information for advocacy for UNDP’s goals for a variety of audiences
- Identifies and takes advantage of opportunities for advocating for UNDP’s mandate
- Researches potential solutions to internal and external client needs and reports back in a timely, succinct and appropriate fashion
- Organizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet client needs and deadlines
- Anticipates client needs and addresses them promptly
- Demonstrating/safeguarding ethics and integrity
- Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
- Demonstrates self management and emotional intelligence, able to handle difficult and tense situations with diplomacy and tact, and ensure consistent behavior towards others.
- Self-development, initiative-taking
- Acting as a team player and facilitating team work
- Facilitating and encouraging open communication in the team, communicating effectively
- Creating synergies through self-control
- Managing conflict
- Learning and sharing knowledge and encourage the learning of others. Promoting learning and knowledge management/sharing is the responsibility of each staff member.
- Informed and transparent decision making
Required Skills and Experience
Education: Bachelor’s or Master’s degree Public Health or social sciences. .
Experience: For Bachelor’s degree - minimum 4 years and for Master’s degree – minimum 2 years of relevant experience at the national or international level in design and management of development projects. Experience in health programmes is an advantage. Experience of working with civil society and governmental partners. Experience in conducting Capacity Building trainings for CSOs. Experience of drafting donor reports. Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages, experience in handling of web based management systems.
Language Requirements: Fluency in spoken and written English.
APPLICATIONS MUST include a Results-Oriented Curriculum Vitae and a signed P-11 Personal History Form with full contact details of three referees and to be submitted by Monday 22 June, 2021. Please note that you are to submit your applications online or send it to email@example.com or post under confidential cover to:
United Nations Joint Presence Office
Level 4, Reserve Bank of Vanuatu,
Incomplete applications will not be considered and only candidates for whom there is further interest will be contacted.
Important applicant information
All posts in the SC categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.