International Consultant, Environmental Security and Natural Resource Management (SSA)
In order to assist the Government in strengthening good governance and sustainable development in 2021, the EED implements the project “Environmental security and natural resource management” aimed at assisting communities and local authorities in capacity building of regional structures for promoting good governance, and assisting local communities in strategic planning of sustainable development, disaster risk reduction and Green Economy by fostering implementation of the Aarhus Convention, thereby raising awareness about environmental security and sustainability. Furthermore, OSCE POiB actively supports OCEEA with implementation of the ExB ULS II phase project in Kyrgyzstan.
In order to address a multitude of challenges that are both intrinsic to Kyrgyzstan’s environmental health and sustainability as well as to the security and investment climate as related to environmental concerns, this project aims to assist communities and local authorities in addressing economic and environmental problems by fostering the implementation of the Aarhus Convention, and raising awareness about environmental security and sustainability.
In light of the aforementioned, the OSCE Programme Office in Bishkek intends to hire an international environmental consultant for 4.5 months (100 working days maximum) and who will be under the direct supervision of the Head of Economic and Environmental Department. The consultant will be based in Bishkek.
Duration of Assignment:
Tasks and Responsibilities:
Under the overall supervision of the Head of EED, the successful candidate will be tasked with the following duties:Under the direct supervision of the Head of EED:
- To assess and report on environmental governance and environmental security issues;
- To draft new ExB project proposals for EED on environmental topics;
- To assist EED with full implementation of the ExB ULS II project in Kyrgyzstan in close cooperation with OCEEA;
- To contribute to the relevant reporting process within the EED and POiB;
- To provide support and advise to the Head of Economic and Environment Department in the implementation of the environmental governance projects;
- To make sure that all environmental governance projects are adequately reported on;
- To assist in arranging OSCE events, inter alia, visits to the area of OSCE presence, as well as other events with OSCE participation;
- To assist, advice on developing, maintaining, and intensifying contacts and good working relations with Government institutions authorities regarding environmental projects activities;
- To identify local and international stakeholders relevant for the fulfilment of the programme and maintains regular communication with them.
- Smooth and successful implementation of the UB 2021 “Environmental security and natural resource management” projects is ensured;
- Contribution to the drafting of the ExB projects on Green Economy and Radioactive safety of the POiB EED provided;
- Expert support for implementation of the ExB ULS II project in Kyrgyzstan in close cooperation with OCEEA provided;
- Comprehensive and strategic planning documents (project concepts, project proposals and e.g.) for 2022 EED environmental activities are drafted;
- All reports on environmental activities of the OSCE POiB prepared and submitted to the Head of EED.
For more detailed information on the structure and work of the OSCE Programme Office in Bishkek, please see: https://www.osce.org/programme-office-in-bishkek
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent in Economics, Environmental Studies, Social science, Political Sciences or related field;
- Minimum 5 years of professional experience at national and/or international level in the area related to sustainable development and environmental security;
- Project management experience, including development, implementation and monitoring in Kyrgyzstan;
- Ability to establish contact and develop confident relations with government officials and institutions as well as the ability to work with civil society;
- Strong analytical, organizational, communication and interpersonal skills; ability to compile and analyze relevant information;
- Professional fluency in the English and Russian languages, both oral and written, and the ability to communicate clearly and concisely;
- Knowledge of OSCE principles and commitments;
- Ability to operate Windows applications, including word processing and e-mail;
- Previous international work experience.
- Demonstrated gender awareness and sensitivity, and an ability to integrate a gender perspective into tasks and activities;
- Ability and willingness to work as a member of team, with people of different cultural, and religious backgrounds, different gender, and diverse political views, while maintaining impartiality and objectivity;
Remuneration will depend on the selected consultant’s qualifications and experience and be in accordance with OSCE established rates
If you wish to apply for this position, please use the OSCE's online application link found under https://jobs.osce.org/vacancies.
If you are not a national of a participating State, you must apply by submitting an offline application form which can be found under http://www.osce.org/employment/108714.
The OSCE retains the discretion to re-advertise/re-post the vacancy, to cancel the recruitment or to offer an appointment with a modified job description or for a different duration.
Only those candidates who are selected to participate in the subsequent stages of recruitment will be contacted.
The OSCE is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified female and male candidates from all religious, ethnic and social backgrounds to apply to become a part of the Organization.
Candidates should be aware that OSCE officials shall conduct themselves at all times in a manner befitting the status of an international civil servant. This includes avoiding any action which may adversely reflect on the integrity, independence and impartiality of their position and function as officials of the OSCE. The OSCE is committed to applying the highest ethical standards in carrying out its mandate. For more information on the values set out in OSCE Competency Model, please see https://jobs.osce.org/resources/document/our-competency-model.
Please be aware that the OSCE does not request payment at any stage of the application and review process.