Overall purpose of the role:
The Danish Refugee Council (DRC) has been operational in Sudan since 2004 focussing primarily on Protection, Food Security and Livelihoods (FSL) as well as Community-driven Recovery and Safety Programmes (CDRS) with a geographical focus on Khartoum, Central Darfur and South Kordofan.
In order to support our growing programme, DRC is looking for a motivated candidate for the position of Liaison Coordinator who will ensure a timely and effective processing of Technical Agreements, permits and visas to support DRC’s operations, developing and maintaining good relationships with the relevant bodies on national and state level.
About the job
Under the supervision of Country Director, the Liaison Coordinator will represent DRC’s Country Director vis a vis government authorities in Khartoum and field offices as required:
- Responsible for establishing networks between DRC and central authorities in close coordination with the CD and SMT members;
- Ensure support to the field liaison/program teams in processing/follow-up of project permission (Technical Agreements), country agreements and other permissions on national and state level;
- Ensure constant interaction with the DRC project teams, units and departments. Provide valuable updates from meetings and developments from the National level to CD/SMT;
- Coordinate efforts with Base Managers in field bases to strengthen liaison efforts;
COORDINATION WITH GOVERNMENT AUTHORITIES
- Support Country Director in representing DRC at Khartoum level vis a vis government authorities and attend relevant meetings in order to strengthen DRC’s position nationally;
- Develop a network with key government ministries and foster relationships with Government authorities and other relevant stakeholders;
- Develop, implement and regularly revise a DRC engagement strategy for government agencies in Khartoum and the field bases;
- Ensure collaboration and coordination with the DRC SMT members to ensure key issues are understood from all bases and key messages are shared from Khartoum;
- Coordinate and arrange meetings for SMT members and higher-level visits. Advise Country Director on taking strategic positioning in regards to relationships with authorities;
- Ensure that visas and residence permits are obtained for international staff;
- Assist the sector leads and Base Managers to enable the implementation of the projects by liaising and coordinating with relevant authorities, and other appropriate national authorities on all matters relating to the DRC staff members and assets, as well as the activities of DRC;
- Support the smooth running of the activities through maintaining a constructive and inclusive relationship with concerned authorities, partners and other agencies;
- Meet with the representatives of the different administrative services as often as necessary to obtain necessary permissions for the implementation of the projects.
INFORMATION and COMMUNICATION
- Keep senior management informed of any changes in the administrative procedures for obtaining key documents;
- Provide the team with regular updates analyzing Sudan emerging political, socio-economic and administrative developments;
- Maintain and develop day-to-day contacts with key authorities and ensure the prompt sharing of information, conclusions or messages;
- Draft monthly reporting and analysis of DRC relationships and coordination efforts on Khartoum level.
Master degree in relevant field.
Experience and technical competencies:
- At least 5 years experience in a similar role with at least 2 years working for working for an INGO;
- Very good research and analytical skills;
- Proven ability to write in a clear and concise manner and to communicate effectively, including the ability to prepare reports and presentation in both English and Arabic;
- Ability to establish and maintain good working relationships in a multi-ethnic, multi-cultural and multi-disciplinary environment;
- Strong communication skills and the ability to establish networks with key stakeholders in Sudan;
- Proven experience interacting with HAC and other government entities in Sudan;
- Must demonstrate strong interpersonal, speaking, and writing skills
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to address complex problems independently;
- Proven ability to prioritize tasks and meet deadlines;
- Stable, moral and robust character and a good team-player;
- Willingness to travel regularly to our field bases in Central Darfur and South Kordofan.
Languages: (indicate fluency level)
- Arabic (fluent)
- English (proficient)