Deputy Project Coordinator
The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster. At work today in over 40 countries and 28 U.S. cities, we restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure. The IRC leads the way from harm to home.
PlayMatters (2020-2025) is an education initiative funded through a $100 million grant from the LEGO Foundation. The program reimagines childhood for 800,000+ refugee and host-community children across Ethiopia, Tanzania, and Uganda – children whose education and social development has been affected by displacement and trauma. Building on children’s amazing resilience and a growing evidence base supporting Learning through Play methodologies, PlayMatters cultivates holistic learning for children ages 3-12+. PlayMatters is led by the International Rescue Committee and includes Plan International, War Child Holland, Innovations for Poverty Action, the Behavioral Insights Team in partnership with the LEGO Foundation.
Scope of workThe Deputy Project Coordinator will be responsible to assist with overall project coordination in country, ensuring the project achieves the expected results in Tanzania and is implemented in accordance with the donor agreement, donor regulations, and internationally recognized quality of assistance standards. S/he will assist in ensuring effective design and implementation of technical and operational project activities throughout all stages of the project. S/he will provide oversight support to project implementing staff to ensure that delivery is to the desired standards, on time and compliant to donor and in-country guidelines. S/he will also support engagements with other key stakeholders required to achieve results including the government the UN and other humanitarian coordination actors, the PlayMatters Consortium and other implementing agencies outside of the consortium. S/he will be expected to work collaboratively with the IRC’s Sector technical coordinators, operations team, and the finance team to support coordination, integration, and coherence of the project with other IRC Tanzania sectors
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Support the PlayMatters Project Coordinator to provide day to day guidance, follow up and oversight support to ensure long-term and short-term priorities are on track.
- Co-lead and coordinate key project staff during the development of project annual work plans, annual budgets, and performance plans.
- Monitor project progress and compliance to set results, planned schedules, priorities, and performance standards reporting and communications priorities.
- Regular update and utilize project tools, including IRC’s work, procurement, spending, and monitoring plans.
- Guide, monitor and maintain high levels of support for supervisees and other project staff development, accountability, and overall performance.
- Contribute to day-to-day project related communications and follow up with in-country senior management, staff, and partners.
- Work closely with supervisees and relevant in country departments to guide, plan, monitor, and verify appropriate use of the project resources.
- Ensure that program documentation and donor reports are of high quality, timely and comply with internal IRC requirements and project donor requirements.
- Ensure inter-departmental and inter-sectoral collaboration within IRC Tanzania with other sectors.
- Delegated representation of the PlayMatters Project Coordinator as required.