Employment and Financial Coaching Intern - Fall 2021
Baltimore (United States of America)
The International Rescue Committee, Inc. (IRC) helps people whose lives and livelihoods are shattered by conflict and disaster to survive, recover and gain control of their future. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to people forced to flee from war or disaster. At work today in over 40 countries and 25 U.S cities, we restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to rebuild their lives. The IRC in Baltimore was established in 1999 and currently serves over 2,500 immigrants and refugees per year.
Scope of Work
Employment and Financial Coaching interns will assist IRC employment specialists with daily activities that contribute to the self-sufficiency of refugees, asylees and other humanitarian immigrants in the Baltimore metropolitan area. This may include working individually with clients to conduct job searches and prepare for interviews, leading small group job readiness training sessions, conducting research on potential employers and assisting with service documentation. Interns may also have the opportunity to develop an employment-specific project.
Employment Specialist, Senior Employment Specialist or Financial Coach
- Learn about public benefits in Maryland and employers in the Baltimore metropolitan area.
- Learn about barriers clients face in securing employment, and possible interventions to reduce barriers.
- Gain experience presenting job preparedness training material to targeted client groups.
- Learn to communicate effectively with clients across cultures.
- Work one-on-one with humanitarian immigrants to identify barriers to employment and develop an understanding of the U.S. job search process.
- Prepare clients for interviews through virtual one-on-one coaching and job readiness training cohort classes.
- Collaborate with the economic empowerment team to create and implement employability plans for all clients.
- Identify potential employers by researching online and cold-calling.
- Assist clients to coordinate transportation to job interviews and assist with the completion of new hire paperwork under the direction of the intern’s supervisor and as COVID-19 safety precautions allow.
- Assist with service documentation through case-notes and case file maintenance.
- Other duties as assigned.