Senior Project Officer - SRH
Founded in 1933, the International Rescue Committee is a world leader in relief, rehabilitation, and post-conflict development services for those uprooted or affected by violent conflict and oppression. The IRC is currently working in over 40 countries around the world, addressing both the immediate and lifesaving needs of conflict affected people in emergencies and the reconstruction needs of post-conflict societies.
The IRC began programming in northern Uganda in 1998 in response to mass displacement and devastation wrought by rebel group, the Lord’s Resistance Army. In 2002, the IRC expanded to the remote, conflict-affected region of Karamoja and in 2011, began working with refugees in Kampala. Monitoring the influx of South Sudanese refugees at the end of 2015, the IRC began scaling up its response to refugees arriving in the West Nile region. By promoting durable solutions that deliver on the interdependent aims of saving lives, strengthening institutions, and supporting social cohesion, the IRC in Uganda is laying the building blocks for long-term stability and development - bringing people from harm to home. The IRC currently works in 9 districts in Uganda, including Kitgum, Lamwo, Kyegegwa, Moroto, Amudat, Yumbe, Arua, Kiryandongo and Kampala.
The IRC is currently implementing its health and nutrition programs focusing on providing primary health care services to refugees in their settlements.The health and nutrition programs are aligned to the IRC mission; “to help people whose lives and livelihood are shattered by conflict and disaster including climate crisis to survive, recover and gain control of their future”.
Job Overview and Summary
Working under the guidance and supervision of the Reproductive Health Manager, the Senior Project Officer-SRH will be responsible for direct implementation of the SRH grant in the field location Kiryandongo and supervising the implementation of the three core aspects of Reproductive Health Safe Motherhood initiatives including: modern family planning methods, safe abortion care, emergency obstetric care including RH referral management system. He/she will be expected to monitor and ensure improvement and maintenance of RH performance indicators within the IRC Uganda programs as per Sphere/WHO standards in humanitarian settings. The Senior Project Officer-SRH will also be the focal point for the SRH anonymous grant.
- Develop working systems and strategies to deliver the SRH anonymous grant indicators related to CYPs, Additional users, method mix and adolescent access to quality family planning services.
- Oversee quality training, mentorship and coaching of RH providers to promote uptake of family planning (FP) and use of FP commodities including IUDs, implants and post abortion care services (PAC).
- Ensure high quality clinical care and standards through bi-annual quality of care assessments, proficiency testing, VCATs, client satisfaction and mystery client surveys.
- Support RH Providers to enable them to communicate all RH information and options clearly and respectfully to all men, women, boys and girls.
- Plan and actively involve the community in marking recognized Health/RH related days.
Monitoring and Evaluation
- Provide support to RH providers to enable them collect and use program data within DHISII, HIS and the registers (facility and community based) to monitor and improve program quality and performance.
- Compile RH weekly, monthly reports and donor reports as required
- Supervise and monitor the implementation of the SRH anonymous grant in line with proposal targets and work plan timelines
- Participate actively in execution of operational research in various health facilities if need be to enhance the quality, coverage, effectiveness and performance of the RH program.
- Monitoring and supervising both RH IRC /staffs seconded by IRC to ensure work is performed efficiently
Reporting and Coordination
- Represent IRC in RH Coordination meetings with implementing partners, district and the MoH in RH working group meetings /Health related forums.
- Coordinate with other sector responses within UNHCR implementing partners. to ensure a multi-sectoral approach to RH programming.
- Work with the supply chain team to develop accurate and timely monthly RH orders.
- Monitor utilization of IRC issued RH supplies; monitor and track IRC RH sector assets.
Finance and grant management
- Plan and manage the project budget as delegated by the supervisor in order to maintain program expenditure within the budget provided.
- Prepare spending plans for the project as delegated by the supervisor.
- Ensure that all grant required activities, indicators are systematically tracked, and objectives are successfully met within the project timeframe.
- Attend and participate in monthly budget review meetings at the field level.
Perform any other duty as assigned by the supervisor.
Key Working Relationships:
Position Reports Directly to: Health Manager
Internal: Field Leads, Senior M&E manager, Supply Chain Officer, IT staff, Finance and Admin staff.
STANDARDS FOR PROFESSIONAL CONDUCT:
The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in IRC Way - Standards for Professional Conduct.These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability.In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti Workplace Harassment, Fiscal Integrity, and Anti-Retaliation.
Deadline for receiving applications is July 8th,2021