Program Development Advisor, West Africa
London (United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland)
Over the past 80 years, the International Rescue Committee (IRC) has developed unparalleled expertise in responding to emergencies and helping uprooted communities to rebuild. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC’s mission is to help people whose lives and livelihoods are shattered by conflict and disaster to survive, recover, and gain control of their future. The IRC is on the ground in more than 40 countries, providing emergency relief and rebuilding lives in the wake of disaster. In addition, through 28 regional offices in cities across the United States, the IRC also helps refugees resettle in the US. The IRC is committed to a culture of inclusivity and empowerment, humanitarian leadership, innovation in all aspects of our work, creative partnerships and, most crucially, accountability to those we serve.
The Purpose of the Role
The Program Development Advisor (PDA), will support West Africa country programs in securing funding for their programmes, through supporting and leading pursuit of new funding opportunities, in line with IRC’s Business Development Strategy. Support will include all phases of the business development process, from opportunity identification to contract signature; including pre-positioning, partnerships building, proposal development, and due diligence phases. The successful candidate will have a strong track record of working on new funding opportunities in humanitarian and international development with a range of multilateral and bilateral donors (USAID, US Department of State, FCDO, EU and ECHO, GFFO, BMZ, Sida, SDC, World Bank, etc.), as well as experience collaborating with local partner organisations.
The PDA will support business development in the IRC’s West Africa region, which comprises country programs in Burkina Faso, Cameroon, Chad, Cote d’Ivoire, Liberia, Mali, Niger, Nigeria and Sierra Leone. Candidates who are from these countries and/or have significant experience in the region are strongly encouraged to apply.
KEY ACCOUNTABLITIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Help drive business development in the region by providing effective proposal support, ranging from proposal management to comprehensive support and quality assurance.
- Support in building IRC’s visibility with donors, peers, and partners.
- Coordinate proposal development, including sharing initial assessment of new opportunities, preparing timelines, ensuring the proposal team adheres to deadlines, supporting recruitment, assisting in budget development, ensuring document completion, organizing meetings and compiling notes, and drafting and proofreading proposal sections.
- Support country programs in increasing local ownership of projects in alignment with IRC’s partnership strategy, through growing IRC’s collaboration with and support to local organisations in West Africa countries.
- Collaborate with technical units, country offices, and other colleagues to support conceptualization of winning programme and bid designs for new project activities and/or amendments to current projects.
- Coordinate and communicate with consortium partners with consortium partners. Compile inputs from proposal team members, including consultants and partners. Identify partners, consultants, and other proposal development support as needed.
- Provide quality assurance and quality compliance support on proposals. Ensure responsiveness to and compliance with solicitation documents and with IRC’s requirements.
- Collaborate with country programs to successfully position for new funding opportunities. Lead and assist in the identification, tracking and updating of new business opportunities across a variety of technical sectors and donors.
- Lead or support pre-positioning for specific opportunities, including facilitating technical brainstorming, partner and competitor landscape analysis and win theme sessions with technical and country staff.
- Facilitate the identification of consultants and/or additional support for opportunities in collaboration with the country team.
- Facilitate internal post-submission debrief sessions with country teams, technical units, regional team and other relevant stakeholders to collect lessons learned.
- Work with regional program support team colleagues to incorporate lessons learned from implementation at the proposal stage.
- Maintain complete and accurate electronic files, including final submission packages.