Senior Programme Specialist (Education)
Post Number : 3CLED0030RP
Grade : P-5
Parent Sector : Education Sector (ED)
Duty Station: Santiago
Job Family: Education
Type of contract : Fixed Term
Duration of contract : 2 years
Recruitment open to : Internal and external candidates
Application Deadline (Midnight Paris Time) : 22-JUL-2021
UNESCO Core Values: Commitment to the Organization, Integrity, Respect for Diversity, Professionalism
OVERVIEW OF THE FUNCTIONS OF THE POST
Under the overall authority of the Assistant Director-General for Education, and the direct supervision of the Director of the Regional Bureau for Education in Latin America and the Caribbean (LAC), the incumbent will help guide the strategic direction of the Bureau´s education program, support the effective functioning and use of resources, provide guidance and support to the different technical units and work streams, and take the lead and supervision of a unit, working groups and thematic areas as needed. Specifically, the incumbent shall be responsible for the following:
• Provide strategic leadership in education for the region and coordinate UNESCO´s regional education programme in LAC;
• Provide high level evidence–based advice and technical support to Member States, regional organizations, and education networks and stakeholders;
• Mobilize regional cooperation at all levels;
• Lead/engage in regional policy dialogue and initiatives on education to accelerate progress towards meeting Education 2030 goals, including through the SDG4 Coordination mechanisms.
• Contribute substantively on education issues to UN agendas in the region, as well as participate actively in UN mechanisms at the country and regional levels and inter-agency groups.
• Act as deputy in the absence of the Director;
• Oversee and liaise with education specialists in the UNESCO LAC field network;
• Liaise with all HQ Sectors and with ED Sector in particular;
• Present and advocate for UNESCO’s programmes and projects to donors, partners and throughout the UN System and development agencies, nurturing high-level partnerships, sponsorships and tangible collaboration;
• Coordinate collaborative research on emerging issues in education within the region;
• Lead research and collaborative efforts to develop sound working tools;
• Develop internal and external networks and partnerships.
- Advanced university degree (equivalent to Master) in education, social sciences, or other related area preferably with specialisation in educational policy, planning and management, development, and/or economics of education.
- Minimum 10 years of progressively responsible relevant experience acquired in the field of policy formulation and dialogue, design and programme implementation in education, of which preferably 5 years acquired at the international level, particulary in Latin America and the Caribbean.
- Proven managerial experience and broad expertise in the field of education policy and planning.
- Experience in fund-raising and resource mobilization.
Skills and Competencies
- Deep knowledge of the education landscape (issues, actors, challenges and opportunities) in Latin America and the Caribbean.
- Deep technical knowledge of one or several areas related to E-2030, including the right to education, education quality and education equity.
- Proven conceptual, analytical and technical skills including the demonstrated ability to draft and provide high-level advice and technical support in education policy, strategic planning and reform.
- Excellent networking, advocacy and interpersonal skills and ability to negotiate with colleagues, staff and stakeholders at all levels within and outside the Organization.
- Demonstrated leadership, management, coordination and organisational skills.
- Proven ability to work effectively in a team and motivate teams in a multicultural environment.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Proven ability to produce high-level quality reports for decision makers.
- Excellent knowledge (written and spoken) of English.
- Excellent knowledge (written and spoken) of Spanish.
- Advanced university degree (PhD degree or equivalent), in education, social sciences or related areas.
- Practical experience of UN coordination at the country/regional level.
- Experience in managing inter-sectoral initiatives.
Skills and Competencies
- Knowledge of UNESCO and UN system.
- Political acumen.
- Good knowledge of French and/or Portuguese.
UNESCO’s salaries consist of a basic salary and other benefits which may include if applicable: 30 days annual leave, family allowance, medical insurance, pension plan etc.
For more information in benefits and entitlements, please consult ICSC website.SELECTION AND RECRUITMENT PROCESS
Please note that all candidates must complete an on-line application and provide complete and accurate information. To apply, please visit the UNESCO careers website. No modifications can be made to the application submitted.
The evaluation of candidates is based on the criteria in the vacancy notice, and may include tests and/or assessments, as well as a competency-based interview.
UNESCO uses communication technologies such as video or teleconference, e-mail correspondence, etc. for the assessment and evaluation of candidates.
Please note that only selected candidates will be further contacted and candidates in the final selection step will be subject to reference checks based on the information provided.Footer
UNESCO applies a zero tolerance policy against all forms of harassment.
UNESCO is committed to achieve and sustain gender parity among its staff members in all categories and at all grades. Furthermore, UNESCO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities, as well as nationals from non-and under-represented Member States (last update here) are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the highest level of confidentiality. Worldwide mobility is required for staff members appointed to international posts.
UNESCO does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process.