Judicial Affairs Officer (women-only), Multiple UN Peacekeeping missions, P4, NORDEM
South Sudan (South Sudan)
Duties and responsibilities
- To provide substantive and technical support and advice in the cohesive development and implementation of tailored initiatives to increase the capacity of national justice institutions, including justice support projects and programmes aimed at strengthening the national justice system to investigate and prosecute terrorism-related and transnational organised crime, in coordination with relevant mission partners and under the UN Global Focal Point arrangement, as applicable
- To support the development and implementation of a training plan for national justice institutions
- To provide expert advice and guidance to national counterparts on the development and implementation of overarching strategies related to strengthening domestic justice institutions
- To support national counterparts in extending the delivery of justice services, particularly vulnerable groups, including through the development and implementation of mobile court initiatives and legal aid clinics
- To provide technical advice and expertise to national authorities on the methods and techniques employed during all phases of the prosecution process, including case development, interviewing victims, witnesses, and suspects, gathering and safeguarding evidence, preparing evidence for trial, and presenting a case before the court
- To assist in the development and application of standard operating procedures, prosecution guidelines and checklists, forms for briefs and other documents for the prosecution service, in line with international standards and best practices
- To provide technical advice and support for the development and implementation of case management systems, evidence management systems, and analytical tools
- To support the development and implementation of activities aimed at building the capacity of national judicial institutions including undertaking analysis of gaps and identification of needs, procurement and recruitment processes, and development of partnerships
- To participate in fundraising efforts for national judicial institutions, through advocacy, development of project proposals etc
- To establish contact and maintain effective relations with government officials, national rule of law professionals, other mission components, agencies, funds and programs of the United Nations system, cooperation agencies, donors, bilateral and multilateral technical partners, civil society organisations and others, including to ensure consultation and cohesion in the area of international support to the justice and penitentiary systems as relates to the investigation and prosecution of terrorism-related and transnational organised crime
- To carry out other duties as required.
Qualifications, experience and skills
- A higher education degree in Law, or alternatively, a combination of a first-level university degree and at least two years relevant work experience
- At least five years of relevant experience as a Lawyer, Prosecutor, Investigating Judge, or Legal or Judicial Advisor or Project Manager in a national judicial system, international organisation, an international or mixed criminal court is required.
- Experience in justice programmes management, including monitoring, evaluation and oversight is an advantage.
- Experience in providing technical assistance in a multicultural environment outside the candidate's country of origin and experience in mentoring and training would be an asset.
- Fluent in Norwegian, English and French; both verbal and written
- Excellent IT skills
- A drivers licence.
Professionalism - Extensive knowledge of judicial and legal systems, including knowledge of criminal law and relevant international human rights standards and their linkages to the broader developmental/post conflict recovery framework and initiatives; Knowledge of theories, concepts and approaches relevant to 2 prosecution. Knowledge of interviewing and interrogating. Demonstrated ability to incorporate gender perspectives and ensure the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work
Teamwork - Good interpersonal skills and ability to establish trust and build professional relationships with national counterparts and colleagues from varied cultures and professional backgrounds
Communication- Speaks and writes clearly and effectively. Listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately. Asks questions to clarify and exhibits interest in having two-way communication. Tailors language, tone, style and format to match the audience. Demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.