Sarajevo (Bosnia and Herzegovina)
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
Please note that the person selected for this position will be offered a contract with UNDP under its National Personnel Services Agreement (N-PSA) modality; the UNDP Service Contract modality is phasing out over the coming year. More information about the N-PSA is available here [link to the N-PSA POPP https://bit.ly/3gaGFud)
Under the direct supervision of the Green Economic Project (GED) Project Manager, the Project Officer will support the implementation of the Green Economic Project (GED) Phase III, project funded by Sweden.
Green Economic Development project (GED) project will contribute to Bosnia and Herzegovina EU accession process, targeting the accomplishment of the targets in accordance with the Energy Performance Building Directive, Energy Efficiency Directive and Renewable Energy Directive by enabling all levels of government to monitor, analyze and evaluate energy consumption, costs, emission, energy investments and savings data from public sector buildings, as well as to support Bosnia and Herzegovina’s related energy efficiency and renewable energy targets (in accordance with the Energy Community Treaty and its obligations) by providing financial support to energy efficiency/renewable energy sources infrastructure projects and contributing to enable a favorable environment for energy efficiency/renewable energy sources investments in Bosnia and Herzegovina. Moreover, the state level (Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Economic Relations) would be empowered with consolidated, valuable, and reliable data for further submission to Energy Community Secretariat and reporting in line with other multilateral agreements (for example – United Nation Framework Convention on Climate Change). With Sweden’s involvement in Green Economic Development (GED) 3rd phase project, the promotion of more economical, social, and environmentally sustainable management of resources in Bosnia and Herzegovina would be enhanced significantly.
The Project Officer will be responsible for providing operational and technical support to Project Manager and Sector Leader in order to ensure successful implementation of the project activities and attainment of project objectives. These tasks refer both to the provision of support relevant for operational management of the Project as well as assuring the high-quality outputs of activities implemented within the Project.
The incumbent will be based in UNDP BiH office in Sarajevo.
Duties and Responsibilities
1. Coordinate the overall implementation of the GED Project Activities
- Promote overall integration of the project into the country's activities, policies, and plans;
- Prepare annual work plans with indicative scheduling of identified main outputs and activities as guidance documents for the formulation and review of annual work plans;
- Provide guidance and reviews of technical specifications of project outputs and activities;
- Supervise personnel and subcontractors engaged in delivering aspects of the project's work plans;
- Organize and coordinate project activities such as workshops, studies and publications, subcontracts, equipment, and administrative support;
- Encourage shared learning with national partners;
- Provide secretariat service to the Project Board (PB), ensuring that all PB representatives receive relevant information ahead of meetings; taking notes during as well as circulating notes after the PB meetings;
- Ensure close coordination between other relevant projects and programmes; both in-country and those led by the partners and other organizations;
- Facilitate coordination and other support from consultants hired for the Project, and for any relevant missions directly related to the Project;
- Ensure that the GED produces the outcomes at the required standards and within the specified cost and time limits.
2. Providing technical advice and support to the implementation of the Project activities
- In consultation with the partners prepare TORs for consultants and comment on their reports
- Supports the development of energy efficiency, renewable energy and energy management policies and monitoring-verification- reporting mechanisms;
- Co-develop relevant policy briefs, lessons learned documents, communication materials, website updates, and other relevant publications.
3. Monitoring, evaluation and reporting of the overall Project deliverables
- Carry out regular follow-up and monitoring of implementation activities;
- Carry out regular monitoring and reporting on risk and mitigation measures;
- Ensure timely preparation and submission of required reports, including technical and financial reports to relevant parties as well as bi-annual progress and expenditure reports, as per the requirements of the donors;
- Provide regular updates on the Project’s progress to key stakeholders according to the communication plan.
4. Knowledge management and gender equality
- Coordinate wide dissemination and visibility of project achievements;
- Coordinate dissemination of information and knowledge management within the team for effective project implementation;
- Coordinate the transfer of projects deliverables, documents, files, equipment, and materials to national beneficiaries;
- Ensures gender is effectively mainstreamed throughout the project activities, work plans, budgets, reports, researches, analyses and, where specifically relevant, analyzed in detail;
- Ensures knowledge on gender equality is incorporated in Project knowledge management activities and products.
Core Behavioural Competencies
a) Achieve Results:
- Demonstrate focus on achieving quality results and impact
- Efficiently establish appropriate plans and resources for self and others to accomplish goals
b) Think Innovatively:
- Propose new ideas, approaches, and solutions to problems
c) Learn Continuously:
- Actively pursue opportunities for learning and self-development professionally and personally
- Proactively seek feedback, demonstrates a desire to learn from others as well as from experiences, both positive and negative
- Contribute to the learning of others
d) Adapt with Agility:
- Seamlessly adapt to working within new situations or contexts, with new people, and in different ways
- Be comfortable with ambiguity and effectively managing multiple demands
e) Act with Determination:
- Pursue everything with motivation and drive
- Demonstrate courage, self-motivation, and initiative to act on opportunities without being prompted by others
f) Engage and Partner:
- Demonstrate and encourage teamwork and co-creation internally and externally to achieve joint objectives and results
- Establish and develop networks that deliver powerful collaborations
g) Enable Diversity and Inclusion:
- Treat all individuals with respect, consider ethical implications and respond sensitively to all differences among people
- Fully accept and value all people, creating an inclusive environment
- Understand that inclusion is multi-faceted (e.g. race, gender, age, disability, culture, etc.)
- Understand and appreciate issues from the perspective of others
- Treat everyone fairly and equally
- Demonstrate honesty and transparency
a) Business Acumen and Commercial Thinking:
- Ability to understand and deal with a business situation in a manner that is likely to lead to a good outcome
- Knowledge and understanding of the operational frameworks in the organization and ability to make good judgments and quick decisions within such frameworks
b) Entrepreneurial thinking:
- Ability to create clarity around UNDP value proposition to beneficiaries and partners and to develop service offers responding to client needs based on UNDP’s organizational priorities and mandate
c) Effective Decision Making:
- Ability to take decisions in a timely and efficient manner in line with one’s authority, area of expertise and resources
d) Negotiation and Influence:
- Ability to reach an understanding, persuade others, resolve points of difference, gain advantage in the outcome of dialogue, negotiates mutually acceptable solutions through compromise and creates ‘win-win’ situations
e) Knowledge Facilitation:
- Ability to animate individuals and communities of contributors to participate and share, particularly externally
f) UNDP Representation:
- Ability to represent UNDP and productively share UNDP knowledge and activities; advocate for UNDP, its values, mission, and work with various constituencies
g) Partnerships Management:
- Ability to build and maintain partnerships with wide networks of stakeholders, Governments, civil society and private sector partners, experts, and others in line with UNDP strategy and policies
- Ability to communicate in a clear, concise, and unambiguous manner both through written and verbal communication; to tailor messages and choose communication methods depending on the audience
- Ability to manage communications internally and externally, through media, social media and other appropriate channels
People Management Competencies
a) Demonstrate Empathy and Emotional Intelligence:
- Read a group’s emotional currents and power relationships, identifying influencers, networks, and organizational dynamics; adapt leadership styles at the appropriate times
- See the positive in people, situations, and events
b) Build an Enabling Workplace:
- Create a working environment where people are engaged and want to do their best; empower and enables team members to perform and have a positive workplace experience
Required Skills and Experience
Minimum Academic Education
- Bachelor’s degree in mechanical or architectural engineering, environmental sciences, or related studies;
- Advanced degree will be considered and asset
Minimum years of relevant Work experience
- At least two years of professional experience within execution and development of following energy related projects: energy efficiency in residential and non-residential sector; energy management; biomass projects; fuel-switch; experience in tracking of implementation of the EE and RE projects; development of energy related studies;
- Additional years of experience will be considered an asset;
- Experience and existing contacts/networking in working with energy related state and entity authorities;
- Experience in dealing with government, NGOs and Donors
Desired additional skills and competencies
- Excellent understanding of environmental issues in BiH (emission to air and air pollution of the energy and industry sector);
- Good understanding of post-war and post-socialist transition context, poverty, and local development support strategies
- Knowledge of BiH regulations and requirements on procurement, tendering and contracting.
Required Language(s) (at working level)
- Fluency in English and
- Fluency in Bosnian/Croatian/Serbian language
- Authorization for main project design, supervision and energy auditing would be considered as an asset
Important applicant information
All posts in the NPSA categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.