Women, Peace and Security Expert UNDP Aden P4/P5 NORCAP
The advancement of gender equality and women’s inclusion in Yemen is facing a complex set of challenges, and requires a comprehensive, long-term strategy to be implemented across a range of institutions and processes. In December 2019, the Internationally Recognized Government (IRG) of Yemen approved a National Action Plan (NAP) to Implement United Nations Security Council resolution 1325 on Women, Peace and Security. The overall goal of Yemen’s National Action Plan on UNSCR1325 is to protect women during and after conflict and strengthen their participation in peacebuilding and in economic and social development. NORCAP seeks to deploy one international expert who will support the Government of Yemen in advancing the aims of UNSCR 1325.
Preparing an implementation framework for the National Action Plan
- Act as an advisor to the Government of Yemen regarding the implementation of the National Action Plan (NAP) on UNSCR 1325
- Provide guidance and strengthen capacity in the Ministry of Social Affairs and Labour
- Contribute to the conceptualization, development and coordination of prioritized activities,
- Assess current capacities within the government, with special focus on the leading entity, Ministry of Social Affairs and Labor (MoSAL) and the WPS National Steering Committee and identifying training needs for advancing the WPS agenda.
- Prepare a capacity building plan and adapt existing training tools
- Make recommendations on how to include and build the capacity of civil society
Partnership Building and Support to Resource Mobilization
- Support the WPS National Steering Committee with networking and establishing links with other WPS Steering Committees in the regional or beyond, to exchange ideas and experiences.
- Liaise with potential donors with the purpose of identifying relevant projects, advise on partnership opportunities and financing mechanisms.
- Develop concept notes for potential projects supporting WPS.
- The international expert will periodically report on activities carried out and progress
REQUIRED SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES:
- At least 10 years of progressively responsible experience in designing and managing complex and multicomponent programmes with national partners.
- Extensive experience in supporting the development of NAPs on UNSCR 1325 and in advocating for WPS in developing countries.
- Experience in programme, policy analysis, and strategic planning.
- Experience in developing and implementing capacity building programmes and training for various stakeholders on WPS in a conflict and post-conflict setting.
- Experience working with, and building partnerships with governments, donors, and civil society organizations internationally and in the field; and in facilitating high level consultative workshops for Governmental Institutions and CSOs.
- Experience working on inclusive politics in a fragile context, with demonstrated ability to deliver.
- Proven ability to write technical documents, papers and presentations. Ability to develop and maintain good working relationships within interdisciplinary teams in a multi-cultural environment.
- Experience working with the UN system is an asset.
- Experience working in the Arab region is an asset.
- Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Gender Issues
- Leading by Example
- Creative Problem Solving
- Effective Communication
- Inclusive Collaboration
- Stakeholder Engagement
- Expert knowledge in Women, Peace, and Security
- Strong knowledge of the Arab States region
- Proven ability to advocate and provide policy, substantive and strategic advice in women, peace and security
- Ability to develop and maintain strong partnerships
- Excellent networking skills
- Ability to interact with donors, identify and analyze trends, opportunities, and threats to fundraising
- Ability to synthesize data and produce analytical reports to inform strategic decision making
- Excellent analytical, drafting and communication skills
- Master’s degree or equivalent in WPS, public administration, human rights, peace studies, or other social sciences related areas is required.
- Fluency in English and Arabic language is required.
- Assignment will be for 12 months, with the possibility of extension
- Startdate: As soon as possible