Head of Humanitarian Disarmament & Peacebuilding
Danish Refugee Council, one of the world’s leading humanitarian NGOs, is currently looking for a highly qualified Head of Humanitarian Disarmament & Peacebuilding to be responsible for developing and supporting the HDP programmatic sector strategy in Libya. As Head of Humanitarian Disarmament & Peacebuilding you will be responsible for providing technical guidance and supervision to all HDP implementing teams to ensure that required quality standards are met and projects implemented in line with DRC processes.
About the job
As Head of Humanitarian Disarmament & Peacebuilding you will support the country Head of Programme in fundraising efforts and representation when related to HDP programming and ensure HDP programmes are fully integrated into the Libya program strategy. Your main duties and responsibilities will be:
Strategic Direction & Programme Management:
- Lead on the development and implementation of HDP sector strategy in country
- Ensure Libya’s HDP strategy is in line with DRC’s global HDP strategy and its programmatic coherence with DRC Libya’s country program strategy.
- Overall accountability for the HDP portfolio in Libya, including planning, implementation, financial management and monitoring.
- Manage HDP technical programme staff, including people planning, development, capacity building and performance appraisal.
- Ensure a high level of quality throughout the entire HDP portfolio ranging from implementation of activities, adherence to organizational procedures as well as quality in materials delivered to donors.
Internal & External Relations:
- In support of the HoP and CD, act as DRC’s representative for the HDP sector and take an active role in establishing and maintaining stakeholder relationships including donors, authorities, the UN and other mine action operators.
- Actively support the HoP in seeking opportunities for fundraising and future development of the HDP portfolio in line with Libya’s program strategy.
- Manage HDP partner relations in line with DRC partnership guidelines.
- Ensure that quality reporting is delivered to the Mine Action authority in a timely manner,
- Coordinate regularly with regional and global HDP focal persons within DRC on matters of programme development, implementation, and quality.
- Provide regular operational, technical and strategic updates on HDP programming to senior management in DRC Libya.
- Support the integration of programming across all sectors with specific emphasis on HDP programming including external stakeholder engagement and coordination and providing internal capacity building as required.
- Ensure that authorizations for and operational planning of Explosive Ordnance Disposal (EOD) teams, Battle Area Clearance (BAC) Teams, Community Liaison, Risk Education and peacebuilding activities is carried out.
- Maintain a Quality Management (QM) structure that includes monitoring the impact of HDP programming as well as productivity (outputs) and adherence to operational Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) in the field.
To be successful in this role we expect you to have a Master’s degree in a relevant field as well as at least 7 years' experience in a relevant field and at least 4 years' experience with people management. Moreover, we also expect the following:
- Experience in managing programme operations, including at country senior management level
- Proven leadership skills and a competence in people management
- Familiarity with relevant evolving HMA concepts and operations including discussions on humanitarian IED responses, etc.
- Experience developing and/or managing peacebuilding type programmes.
- Experience with proposal development, budget development, program implementation, monitoring and evaluation.
- Experience with effectively coordinating with national partners, local/government authorities, NGO partners, mine action donors and other relevant stakeholders.
- English (fluent)
- Arabic Strong Asset
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’ five core competencies:
Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
Demonstrating integrity: Upholding and promoting the highest standards of ethical and professional conduct in relation to DRC’s values and Code of Conduct, including safeguarding against sexual exploitation, abuse and harassment.
Contract length: 12 months
Level: Senior Management, E
Designation of Duty Station: Tripoli, Libya (with frequent travel to Benghazi), non-family duty station
Start date: 1 August
Salary and conditions will be in accordance with Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of Employment for Expatriates. For questions regarding the vacancy please contact Avril Elliott, email@example.com.
All applicants must upload a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages) in English. Applications sent by email will not be considered.
Closing date for applications: 16 July
For further information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult our website drc.ngo.