Senior Program Officer
New Delhi (India)
Post Number : 4INEDPA033GI
Grade : P-5
Parent Sector : Education Sector (ED)
Duty Station: New Delhi
Job Family: Education
Type of contract : Project Appointment
Duration of contract : 1 year
Recruitment open to : Internal and external candidates
Application Deadline (Midnight Paris Time) : 11-AUG-2021
UNESCO Core Values: Commitment to the Organization, Integrity, Respect for Diversity, Professionalism
Duration of contract: 1 year with possibility of extension subject to availability of funds and performance.
OVERVIEW OF THE FUNCTIONS OF THE POST
The UNESCO Mahatma Gandhi Institute of Education for Peace and Sustainable Development (MGIEP) is UNESCO’s category 1 Research Institute that focuses on Sustainable Development Goal (SDG) 4.7 towards education for building peaceful and sustainable societies across the world. Under the supervision of the Director of MGIEP, the incumbent will be responsible for the following:
- Overseeing MGIEP 's work programme implementation, ensuring its alignment with the institute's strategies and its contribution to UNESCO’s strategic objectives, monitoring the Institute’s execution rate, and assuring optimal use of available resources in line with results-based budgeting principles; ascertains synergies and coherence across programmes and modalities of interventions (training, research, technical assistance).
- Assisting the Director in overseeing the timely deliverable of all outputs from all sectors within the Institute as described in the annual program of work.
- Ensure synergy and coherence across all divisions within the Institute by developing a mission-oriented program of work for delivering the Institutes contribution to UNESCO’s priorities and work plan.
- Working with division heads in fund resource mobilization and help identify with the support of the Director potential funding sources for the Institute and its respective programs.
- Advising the Director on matters related to human resource planning, hiring, development and management.
- Provide compliance and managerial oversight of all cooperative research and training arrangements between MGIEP and its partner institutions in different regions, and regularly reports thereon to MGIEP Director.
- Assesses and coordinates requests for technical assistance from Member States and advises the Director on relevant activities to undertake in the field and on their compliance and coherence with overall institutional objectives.
- In support of the implementation of MGIEP 's programmes, the incumbent oversees financial resources for MGIEP, and ensures smooth cooperation with MGIEP 's financial partners. She/he also proposes to the Director means to extend MGIEP 's partnerships, and upon approval, negotiates agreements and contracts.
- Early identification of risks, including ones concerning possible failures in achieving institutional objectives and issues related to financial and human resources. Remedial actions involving programme re-orientation initiated once cleared with the Director.
- She/he operates within Administrative Rules and Regulations and provides management and oversight of the administrative and financial operations of the Institute while being cognizant of the functional autonomy of the Institute.
- Act as officer in charge during the Director’s absence on mission or on leave. She\he represents the Director of the Institute in meetings to which MGIEP is invited, at high level meetings of the UNESCO secretariat, and in meetings with MGIEP partners.
- Supports the director in Identifying and facilitating modes of cooperation with high-level officials in the ministries of education, representatives of research and training institutions, UN Specialized Agencies, NGOs, etc in compliance with UNESCO rules and regulations.
- Advanced university degree (Master’s Degree) in education, peace studies, political science, sociology, psychology, human rights, economics, sciences of learning, neuroscience\cognitive science, or other education-related sciences.
- Minimum 10 years of experience in the field of education relating to research, teaching, curriculum development, pedagogy, technology, social and emotional learning, sciences of learning\neurosciences, and\or planning in a governmental, multilateral, academic or civil society organization.
- Proven policy, advisory and advocacy experience and track record of engagement with senior officials, such as in the United Nations system, government and external partners.
- Experience in programming and project management, such as programme design and results monitoring, in areas related to education.
- Experience in national and community-level education-related initiatives and programming.
Skills and Competencies
- Commitment to the Organization’s mandate, vision, strategic direction, and priorities.
- Demonstrated comprehensive planning, interpretation, and critical quantitative and qualitative analysis skills.
- Demonstrated ability to support units within the organization to achieve organizational outputs and outcomes.
- Ability to efficiently handle and share information and knowledge; pave a path for innovation and continuous improvement within the Institute.
- Capacity to lead integral work of teams utilizing expertise, vision, problem-solving capability, and collaborative energy.
- Ability to engage with a diverse group of partners forge productive working relationships.
- Advanced and persuasive written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to identify key strategic issues, objectives, opportunities, and risks.
- Excellent knowledge (spoke and written) of English.
- Ph.D desirable in education, peace studies, political science, sociology, psychology, human rights, economics, sciences of learning, neuroscience\cognitive science, or other education-related sciences.
- Experience working within a UN Agency/Fund/Programme or Department and/or field.
- Experience in gendered dimensions of education.
- Working knowledge of another UNESCO Official language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Spanish and Russian).
BENEFITS AND ENTITLEMENTS
UNESCO’s salaries consist of a basic salary and other benefits which may include if applicable: 30 days annual leave, family allowance, medical insurance, pension plan etc.
For full information on benefits and entitlements, please consult our Guide to Staff Benefits.SELECTION AND RECRUITMENT PROCESS
Please note that all candidates must complete an on-line application and provide complete and accurate information. To apply, please visit the UNESCO careers website. No modifications can be made to the application submitted.
The evaluation of candidates is based on the criteria in the vacancy notice, and may include tests and/or assessments, as well as a competency-based interview.
UNESCO uses communication technologies such as video or teleconference, e-mail correspondence, etc. for the assessment and evaluation of candidates.
Please note that only selected candidates will be further contacted and candidates in the final selection step will be subject to reference checks based on the information provided.Footer
UNESCO applies a zero tolerance policy against all forms of harassment.
UNESCO is committed to achieve and sustain gender parity among its staff members in all categories and at all grades. Furthermore, UNESCO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities, as well as nationals from non-and under-represented Member States (last update here) are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the highest level of confidentiality. Worldwide mobility is required for staff members appointed to international posts.
UNESCO does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process.