Heating, Ventilation and A/C (HVAC) Technician
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Please note that Closure Date and Time displayed above are based on date and time settings of your personal device
Staff in the General Service category are recruited locally from the Primary Location area, which is where the office is located
• FAO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality, background and culture
• Qualified female applicants, qualified nationals of non-and under-represented member nations and person with disabilities are encouraged to apply
• Everyone who works for FAO is required to adhere to the highest standards of integrity and professional conduct, and to uphold our values. FAO has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and FAO, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination.
• All selected candidates will undergo rigorous reference and background checks
• All applications will be treated with the strictest confidentiality
• The incumbent may be re-assigned to different activities and/or duty stations depending on the evolving needs of the Organization.
The Heating, Ventilation and A/C (HVAC) Technician leads the ordinary and extraordinary maintenance work carried out by the staff of the HVAC mechanics-group in headquarters and outposted premises, on steam boilers, burners, heat exchangers, boilers, chillers, air treatment systems, indoor and outdoor units compressors, individual split systems, expansion tanks, water sweeteners, valves, electrical panels, pumps, air extractors, building automation systems, hydraulic systems, etc. In addition the HVAC Technician assists in collecting data related to use of utilities, refrigerants and other related greenhouse gas emissions (GHG) of headquarters and Decentralized Offices.
The Heating, Ventilation and A/C Technician reports to the Maintenance Supervisor under the overall guidance from the Facilities Management Officer. He/she acts independently in routine matters. Supervision received is focused on the quality of the work performed and provides for on-the-job learning.
The Heating, Ventilation And A/C Technician interacts with a wide variety of colleagues within the work unit and with immediate clients within the Organization, providing routine support services. S/he collaborates with the Corporate Environmental Responsibility Team on the collection of data for the GHG.
The Electrician interacts with a wide variety of colleagues within the work unit and with immediate clients within the Organization, providing routine support services and extraordinary maintenance work.
- Direct and collaborate in all the operations of the heating, refrigerating, ventilating and A/C and operate, install, connect, check, test functioning, maintain, repair, trouble shoot, also in emergency situations, for general condition, proper functioning, energy conservation, environmental concerns, health and safety of all of the above- equipment with relative pipings, ducts, valves, etc.;
- Plan and prepare the day-to-day ordinary and extraordinary maintenance service shifts of the permanent and temporary staff with the supervisor and ensure to provide technical and safety advice to group as required;
- Ensure efficient functioning of HVAC equipment and temperature comfort at all times of offices and rooms according to prescribed Italian and European codes;
- Ensure that all new, renovation, ordinary and extraordinary maintenance work assigned and calls received will be registered and carried out within self-schedules, priorities and time limitations; follow up on all work by inspecting and reporting accomplishments, progress and problems to the supervisor also by means of written evaluations and lists of used parts;
- Detect and solve extraordinary maintenance problems and identity areas requiring repair/improvement and arrange through the supervisor for all necessary preventive maintenance to be carried out taking measures to prevent further damage;
- Oversee, inspect, execute and maintain simple, complex and individual HVAC systems of meeting rooms with high technological advances especially during conference periods;
- Check, programme and monitor building automation systems and Mitsubishi TG2000 control systems;
- Check and operate equipment to ensure that the gas, electricity and water consumptions are within the standard consumption patterns against invoices from utilities companies and report regular meter readings;
- Assist in checking contractual work under the instruction of the supervisor by preparing work programs, verifying and preparing a summary of works;
- Supervise the CSLI Maintenance help-desk monitoring system;
- Assists in specific periods of the year with the data collection of utilities, refrigerants, etc related to the greenhouse gas inventory of all the Decentralized Offices.
- Perform other related duties as required
Impact Of Work
The incumbent's work impacts on the timely and efficient delivery of office support services and on the overall output of the work unit.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
Education: Secondary school education from accredited electrical or mechanical technical school (Perito Industriale or Perito Meccanico)
Experience: Three years of experience in installation and maintenance of large traditional and modern HVAC systems for large buildings, including supervisory responsibilities. Experience in the maintenance and operating of electrical and plumbing aspects of the HVAC equipment
Languages: Working knowledge (Level C) of English. Working knowledge of Italian technical terminology covering area of work
IT Skills: Good knowledge of the MS Office applications, Internet and office technology equipment
- Results Focus
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
- Ability to read blueprints, estimates, specifications and to prepare schemes and diagrams;
- Ability to make calculations of quantity of materials required, dimensions of cables and switches and evaluate work involved.
- Theoretical and updated knowledge of electrical systems and building automation (BAS);
- Professional use of Excel and familiarity with data management and analysis
Desirable Qualifications and Skills
- Knowledge of existing HVAC systems on FAO premises;
- Extend of experience of CAD systems (such as Autocad and/or Revit);
- Knowledge of ARCHIBUS software;
- Knowledge of data required for a Greenhouse Gas inventory (energy, refrigerants etc.);
- Sound theoretical and updated knowledge of concepts and principles of heating, ventilating and A/C systems and components
Evaluation of qualified applicants may include an assessment exercise and a technical / competency-based interview.
FAO staff are expected to adhere to FAO Values of Commitment to FAO,
Respect for All and Integrity and Transparency