Junior Network Engineer
WFP seeks candidates of the highest integrity and professionalism who share our humanitarian principles
Selection of staff is made on a competitive basis, and we are committed to promoting diversity and gender balance
The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) is the world's largest humanitarian agency, fighting hunger worldwide. WFP Technology Division (TEC, formerly known as IT) is the digital business engine of the World Food Programme, providing the business with multi-pronged and resilient technical capabilities able to respond with the agility required in humanitarian operations, be they manmade or in a natural disaster setting.
The Technology Division (TEC, formerly known as IT) is the digital business engine of the World Food Programme, providing the business with multi-pronged and resilient technical capabilities able to respond with the immediate agility required in conflict zones on the one hand and with the longer-term stability to cope natural disasters on the other. In 2020, TEC Division will increase its activities to meet the constantly growing demand from the business and the field operation, and implement the initiatives related to digital transformation. TECM, the operational Branch of TEC, is involved in projects and programmes to modernize and optimize the infrastructure and the applications.
The Network Engineer Junior Consultant will work under the direct supervision of Head of Connectivity Unit and in collaboration with Project Manager and Lead of Network Delivery team
The Junior Consultant will be an important team member supporting the WFP Wide Area Network (WAN). The Junior Consultant will support the team in implementation of SD-WAN technology and deployment of devices and will assist the team for ensuring that the WFP satellite and terrestrial providers can deliver any new technical solutions related to new corporate initiatives into the network successfully.
This job may involve high capacity/volume of tasks with quality focused deliverables.
- Be part of the standardization of field offices infrastructure, in order to be migrated to SD-WAN;
- Ship FortiGate devices to the field offices when necessary.
- Provide necessary status reports of the SD-WAN project.
- Update WhatsUpGold and Liaise with Field IT on Link Status.
- Collect link statistics information connectivity and share it to the team.
- Support the team with administrative tasks related to Forti Manager and Forti Analyser.
- Support Network Team on specific tasks related to PoCs, product reviews and tests.
- Perform any other duties as required.
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
University degree in the field of Computer Science/Engineering or related STEM disciplines
At least 1 year of post-graduate experience at professional level in Microsoft System Administration and Cloud technologies is an advantage.
Desired Technical Skills & Knowledge:
- Detailed knowledge for producing assessment documentation and operational guidelines
- Knowledge of services such us AWS and Azure, CISCO CCNA.
- Ability to identify and solve quickly issues and problems
- Teamwork oriented and ability to work under pressure
- Positive attitude for working in cooperation with different teams.
- Ability to work harmoniously with people from different national and cultural backgrounds
- Excellent Communication skills both oral and written
Fluency in oral and written English. Intermediate knowledge of another official UN language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian and Spanish) or Portuguese (one of WFP’s working languages) is desirable
TERMS AND CONDITIONS:
WFP offers a competitive compensation package, which will be determined by the contract type and selected candidate’s qualifications and experience.
Please visit the following websites for detailed information on working with WFP.
http://www.wfp.org Click on: "Our Work" and "Countries" to learn more about WFP's operations.
Deadline for applications: 28 July 2021 at 11:59pm Rome time
Qualified female applicants and qualified applicants from developing countries are especially encouraged to apply.
WFP has zero tolerance for discrimination and does not discriminate on the basis of HIV/AIDS status.
No appointment under any kind of contract will be offered to members of the UN Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions (ACABQ), International Civil Service Commission (ICSC), FAO Finance Committee, WFP External Auditor, WFP Audit Committee, Joint Inspection Unit (JIU) and other similar bodies within the United Nations system with oversight responsibilities over WFP, both during their service and within three years of ceasing that service.
Saving lives, changing lives