IMPORTANT NOTICE: Please note that Closure Date and Time displayed above are based on date and time settings of your personal device
The length of appointment for internal FAO candidates will be established in accordance with applicable policies pertaining to the extension of appointments
• FAO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality, background and culture
The FAO Office of Evaluation (OED) anchors the evaluation function in the Organization. Evaluation in FAO provides results accountability to both member countries and the Director-General, giving more in-depth understanding and objective basis for their decision-making and oversight. Evaluation also contributes to corporate learning, feeding lessons into a robust feedback loop. Evaluation provides a sound basis for improvements in the Organization’s programmes in terms of their relevance to countries, definition of objectives, their design and implementation. The Office also participates in system-wide evaluation initiatives, thereby contributing to assessments of development effectiveness by the UN system.
The Evaluation Officer reports to the Director, OED.
Thematic and programme evaluations.
Planning, designing, conducting and promoting the use of major evaluations, thereby contributing to enhanced results-accountability to the Director-General and the Governing Body, and enriched learning by the Organization; as well as contributions to improved results-based management by the Organization, and the development of evaluation function and methodologies in OED.
• Leads and manages evaluations of complex programmes, major operations, and themes;
• Composes, leads and manages evaluation teams comprising of staff and consultants;
• Leads the preparation of evaluation reports, synthesis of evaluations and related materials;
• Presents findings, conclusions and recommendations of evaluation reports to the management and the Governing Body;
• Promotes the use of evaluations so that their results are taken into account for the design and implementation of strategies, programmes and projects;
• Quality controls and assists in quality enhancement of evaluations conducted by others;
• Keeps abreast of methodological developments in evaluation, and contributes to the development of evaluation methodologies and tools;
• Liaises and collaborates with other units of the Organization with a view to promoting results-based and evaluation culture, and enhanced learning from evaluations;
• Liaises and collaborates with the evaluation units of other United Nations organizations as well as professional evaluation bodies;
• Guide junior evaluation officers and consultants in their conduct of evaluations;
• Performs other duties as required.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
• Advanced university degree in evaluation, agriculture, social and economic development or related fields
• Seven years of relevant experience in conducting and managing development evaluations at the global, regional or country levels
• Working knowledge of English and limited knowledge of another FAO official language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian or Spanish)
• Results Focus
• Leading, Engaging and Empowering
• Communications Skills
• Partnering and Advocating
• Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
• Work experience in more than one location or area of work, particularly in field positions is desirable
• Extent and relevance of experience in designing, planning, leading, and conducting development evaluations
• Sound understanding of the functioning of UN agencies and the UN system is considered a strong asset
• Demonstrated knowledge of and experience in conducting evaluations in the Latin America and Caribbean region will be an asset.
• Proven ability to deliver clear and concise reports and presentations in English.