BUSINESS OPERATIONS & COORDINATION ANALYST
Suva (Fiji )
Under the overall leadership and guidance of the United Nations Country Team (UNCT), the Operations Management Team (OMT) endeavors to facilitate the implementation of UNDS Reform by harmonizing operational policies of UN agencies, funds and programs in UN in Pacific (Fiji MCO). Moreover, the OMT proposes and implements inter-agency initiatives to ensure the quality of support services, while utilizing resources effectively.Within this context, the OMT has decided to adopt and implement UN Sustainable Development Group’s (UNSDG) results-based framework to enhance the planning, monitoring and management of the UNCT’s business operations and support to program delivery. This Business Operations Strategy (BOS) outlines the UNCT priorities in the field of common operations. The BOS aims to improve the quality, timeliness and cost- effectiveness of the UN’s support to program delivery.
Under the overall guidance of the Chair and Co-Chair of the Operations Management Team (OMT) and direct supervision of the Team Leader of the UN Resident Coordinator’s Office the Business Operations and Coordination Analyst will support the OMT with day-to-day coordination with counterparts to advance the efficiency agenda.
With the overall aim to support the implementation of the approved BOS and further expansion of BOS, including to coordinate day-to-day operational matters of OMT, the UN RCO on behalf of UN OMT, seeks to hire a Business Operations and Coordination Analyst, based in Suva, Fiji. The incumbent will be responsible to undertake functions related to coordination of BOS implementation as well as further data collection, analysis, interpretation, approval and implementation of BOS 2.0, including but not limited to support activities related to UN Common House, Common Back Office
Duties and Responsibilities
Scope of Work:
- Coordinate the implementation of BOS activites throughdata collection and analysis and timely information sharing with BOS taskforce and OMT and its working groups;
- Provide the BOS taskforce with required data for developing, implementating and monitoring BOS and working closely with OMT and its working groups and give, administrative and logistical support for the succeful preparation of the BOS, including follow ups, populating of operations platform with required data;
- Work with the OMT and its working group chairpersons to make sure the adequate administrative support is provided for the timely delivering of the agency/inter-agency inputs for the different BOS processes;
- Prepare reports to DOCO/HQ on BOS implementation and inputs to RC’s Annual Report
- Coordinate capacity building workshops pertaining to furthering of BOS at different stages.
Ungradation of approved BOS by working with OMT and its working groups to condut sureys on common services for the designated service line(s) focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Conduct assessment of the BOS implementation, results and existing common services and identifying areas where these services can be improved and costs reduced;
- Work on furthering BOS to expand to other operations areas to reach greater collaboration and larger cost avoidance for UN agencies, more common back office, UN Common House;
- Support the preparation of feasibility studies and cost-benefit analyses.
Ensure efficient common services support, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Preparation of common services budget for the premises, other administrative services rendered to UN agencies and obtaining approval of the budget.
- Support budget preparation for UN Clinic and Security and other common activities funded by UN agencies.
- Organization of procurement processes for common services, including preparation of ToRs, specifications for RFQs, ITBs or RFPs, their evaluations.
- Oversight and management of contracts for common services, ensuring fully satisfactory performance by contractors.
- Facilitation of common services/office space management to ensure integrated activities on common services.
- Secretariat for common services and liaison with common premises management tracking maintenance, cleaning and gardening, and other common services.
- Prompt reporting and investigation of cases of any accidents, damage, loss or theft of items taking place on the UN premises.
- Support BOS priority areas including environmental procurement, gender and disability procurement in line with the UN Gender and Disability SWAP priorities.
- Support to the Crisis Management Team in logistics, travel and other emergency support required.
Act as a fully functioning Secretariat for the OMT:
- Regularly update the LTA database and HR roster within the relevant systems;
- Lead on supporting all agencies to participate in the implementation of the Common Back Office as a priority for UNCT;
- Prepare for OMT meetings and support OMT, OMT Working Groups and BOS taskforce as necessary;
- Coordinate finalization/approval and monitoring of Annual work plan of OMT;
- Update the OMT and OMT working groups’ progress and minutes of the meetings in OMT records; and
- Undertake any other activities assigned by the Chair/Co-Chair of the OMT.
Provide support to the COVID-19 Coordinator and Travel Working group for Return-to-Base of staff
- Support the COVID-19 Coordinator in the process of obtaining required approvals from Government counterparts, specifically in obtaining all required information and supporting documents from agency focal points
- Screening of COVID-19 tests prior to obtaining approvals from Government counterparts
- Maintain and regularly update the Return-to-Base database and share with agency focal points
- Organize and co-chair fortnightly travel working group meetings
Support the RCO with day-to-day coordination with counterparts to advance the efficiency agenda:
- Coordinate between UN Agencies, Government and relevant counterparts to promote a One UN approach towards programme and operational coordination;
- Support the RCO with piloting innovative tools that will enhance operational coordination;
- Supports the roll out of existing initiatives that support the efficiency agenda;
- Undertake any other interagency operations related activities assigned by the RCO Team Leader.
- The Analyst is expected to be based in the office of the UN Agency charing the OMT, to have access to all forms of communications and to ensure smooth planning and implementing of tasks.
- Demonstrates integrity by modeling the UN’s values and ethical standards
- Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of the UN
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
- Treats all people fairly without favoritism
- Fulfils all obligations to gender sensitivity and zero tolerance for sexual harassment.
- Ability to undertake extensive research.
- Demonstrates strong analytical oral and written communication skills
- Ability to engage effectively with other implementing agencies supporting the respective UN agencies, development partners, civil society organizations, the private sector, etc.
- Good understanding of the governance structure and systems in Pacific, including the current political economy context.
- Proven experience in the use of office IT applications, incl. MS Office packages.
- Proven knowledge in office procurement, HR/Admin and common services.
- Strong diplomatic skills and capacity to build and maintain partnerships with a number of stakeholders (UN Agencies, Government entities, other development partners and the private sector)
- Fully proficient computer skills and use of relevant software and other applications, e.g. word processing, spreadsheets, internet, power point and experience in handling of web-based management systems.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, proven networking, teambuilding, organizational and communication skills.
- Seeks and applies knowledge, information and best practices inside and outside the UN.
- Ability and sensitivity to work with a wide cross-section of partners, including Government, I/NGOs and private sector.
- A self-starter, able to inspire and influence action and work under pressure.
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude.
- Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities.
- Ability to handle sensitive information with confidentiality.
Required Skills and Experience
- Bachelors degree in Business or Public Administration, Economics, Political or Social Sciences Or other formal education relevant for the assignment. Master’s degree with 5 years of relevant experience.
- At least 7 years of proven working experience in providing coordination, administrative and operational support is required.
- Prior experience with the UN system (with a specific focus on experience with the RCO) would be considered an advantage
- Evidence of strong research and analytical skills.
- Experience handling general project administration and management of logistics.
Required Language(s) (at working level): Fluency of English language is required
Important applicant information
All posts in the NPSA categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.