The Head of Implementation, Southeast Asia will report to the Regional Director (RD) for East, Southeast Asia & Oceania and will work closely with the Deputy Regional Director for the region. The Head of Implementation, Southeast Asia will collaborate with the global C40 Director of Climate Action Implementation to support the region’s cities in accelerating the implementation of the most impactful climate actions to radically reduce greenhouse gas emissions and climate risks, while supporting a green and just recovery. The position will also work closely with teams across C40, as well as other city and climate organisations in the region, to ensure cities have access to the most relevant and effective assistance, learning from their peers across other C40 cities, and that mayors are supported in their efforts to bring ambitious climate policies into action delivering effective on-the-ground results.
The Head of Implementation, Southeast Asia will oversee delivery of all UK-funded C40 programmes in the region under the guidance and direction of the Regional Director and Deputy Regional Director.
- Support C40’s Southeast Asian member cities in their implementation of key priority actions from their Climate Actions Plans and C40 current programmes and activities, aligned to the Leadership Standards.
- Oversee implementation of C40 climate action delivery programmes in the region, with a particular focus on climate action planning, mainstreaming activities and regional implementation programmes funded by UKAID.
- Supervise all the contracts and procurements related to the UKAID programme in Southeast Asia.
- Work with C40’s Regional Director and Deputy Regional Director of Political and Mayoral Engagement in developing and executing strategies to ensure alignment with national and sub-national policies and with support programmes from other development partners to further accelerate the implementation of city climate actions.
- Coordinate the identification and establishment of critical partnerships for delivery of key priority actions.
- Elicit learnings and best practice examples from implementation processes and provide input to ensure that this knowledge is exchanged and available in the C40 Knowledge Hub and other relevant platforms for cross learning.
- Ensure the collection of data for and reporting on all programme related KPIs.
- Line manage programme staff.
- Work with the Regional Director and the Deputy Regional Director to ensure coordination and linkages with all other C40 teams, including City Solutions and Networks, City Diplomacy, Finance, etc. towards a unified and coordinated city support strategy for the region.
- Extensive background in planning, development, management and monitoring of climate-related urban implementation programmes/projects in Southeast Asia.
- Demonstrable understanding of main barriers and opportunities of implementing ambitious climate action in Southeast Asia, including financial, political, governance, social aspects and national/subnational government dynamics.
- Experience of working with city administrations.
- Familiarity with implementation support by multilateral/bilateral development institutions engaged in urban climate action in Southeast Asia will be an advantage.
- Excellent inter-personal relationship management skills in inter-cultural settings.
- Excellent programme management skills.
- Capacity to work remotely and to remotely manage staff across different locations.
- Postgraduate/advanced degree in a relevant field or equivalent working experience.
- Fluency in English required and in Bahasa Indonesia or Bahasa Malaysia desirable.
Applicants must already have the right to work in the country where they apply. Moderate travel may be required as part of the role.
Location and Salary:
Singapore - SGD 82,341
Indonesia - IDR 459,500,011
Malaysia - MYR 135,429
Philippines - PHP 2,220,805
Fixed-term until 31 August 2025