UN Women: Digital Communications Specialist
New York City (United States of America)
UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security.
The Strategic Partnership Division (SPD) is responsible for proactively driving the strategic positioning of UN Women so that the size, sources and predictability of its resources help the organization achieve its strategic goals. SPD is organized into three branches: Resource Mobilization, Civil Society, and Communications.
Under the direct supervision of the Chief, Communications & Advocacy and in support of UN Women’s core mandates, the Digital Communications Specialist is responsible for enhancing and guiding UN Women’s digital presence and strategies. To this end, s/he oversees and undertakes the development, production and design of compelling interactive, visual communications and digital products; monitors and analyzes UN Women website analytics to inform digital strategies; provides guidance and training on digital technologies and standards; and guides on/supports special projects and initiatives, such as communications web portals, campaigns and partnerships.
Duties and Responsibilities
Undertake and oversee the development, production and design of interactive, visual communications, and digital products:
- Arrange for, oversee or undertake research, storyboarding, production, design and development of a range of interactive, visual communications and digital products on UN Women priority areas through multiple platforms, as part of regular external communications initiatives and outreach. This includes, but is not limited to, infographics, graphs, charts, data visualizations, animations, videos, maps, multimedia features, quizzes, web and mobile applications;
- Oversee and undertake ?production and maintenance of existing digital and web interactive products
- Assess, arrange for and implement project’s scope, timing, work effort and budget throughout a given project life cycle for long-term digital products (such as interactive web applications), in coordination with Web and IT teams;
- Manage relationships with external vendors and supervises the production schedules and work of designers (interactive, web, UX) and developers (web, mobile) in the development and production of interactive, visual communications and digital products;
- Provide guidance to country and regional offices on interactive and digital communications standards, tools, and trends;
- Research latest digital trends in communications space and conceptualize creative opportunities for digital innovation.
Undertake digital distribution, promotion, monitoring and website analytics:
- Oversees the distribution of content on marketing channels, such as newsletters and Google ads;
- Arrange for or undertake the set-up of newsletter templates, as needed, for major external communications initiatives and outreach purposes;
- Research and implement new avenues for digital content distribution and promotion;
- Monitor and report on website analytics to inform digital strategies online (e.g. user experience, information architecture, SEO, etc);
- Provide training on email distribution and web analytics platforms for external communications purposes, as needed.
Undertake, oversee and/or support special communications projects and initiatives:
- Provide guidance on communications web portals and initiatives, including the inter-agency website/news feed UN Women Watch;
- Provide guidance and/or support on communications partnerships, campaigns or initiatives, which can include reviewing concepts, inputting on strategy documentation, coordinating production of assets across mediums;
- Develop communications partnerships to promote gender equality through relevant distribution channels.
Key Performance Indicators:
- Timely and quality development, production and design of interactive, visual communications, and digital products.
- Good Relationship with external vendors.
- Timely and quality digital distribution, promotion, monitoring and website analytics.
- Timely guidance and support to UN Women offices on digital communications.
- Respect for Diversity.
- Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Gender Issues;
- Creative Problem Solving;
- Effective Communication;
- Inclusive Collaboration;
- Stakeholder Engagement;
- Leading by Example.
Please visit this link for more information on UN Women’s Values and Competencies Framework:?https://www.unwomen.org/-/media/headquarters/attachments/sections/about%20us/employment/un-women-values-and-competencies-framework-en.pdf?la=en&vs=637
- Strong project management skills, with proven expertise in working with companies, developers and designers;
- Strong understanding on the intersection of technology, web, design, editorial, digital, social media and multimedia platforms;
- In-depth knowledge of digital media, visual communications and interactive storytelling methods;
- In-depth knowledge of web development, interactive and visual communications processes and web project lifecycles;
- Good understanding of best practices in UX design, user experience, information architecture, usability and SEO;
- Strong communications, research, editing, and writing skills;
- Strong digital media, visualization and web interactive skills, with proven experience in producing visually compelling digital products;
- Sound knowledge of email marketing and analytics software;
- Sound knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite (Illustrator, Photoshop, Fireworks, InDesign, Lightroom, Dreamweaver, Edge, After Effects);
- Sound knowledge of women's issues.
Required Skills and Experience
- Master or equivalent degree in Communications, Journalism, Media Arts, Web Design, Graphic Design, or Digital Marketing.
- A first-level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- Minimum of 5 years relevant experience with website production and maintenance, digital media production and management, design, digital project management and communications at the national or international level.
- Fluency in English (written and oral);
- Knowledge of French and Spanish is an asset.
All applications must include (as an attachment) the completed UN Women Personal History form (P-11) which can be downloaded from?https://www.unwomen.org/-/media/headquarters/attachments/sections/about%20us/employment/un-women-p11-personal-history-form.doc?la=en&vs=558. Kindly note that the system will only allow one attachment. Applications without the completed UN Women P-11 form will be treated as incomplete and will not be considered for further assessment.
In July 2010, the United Nations General Assembly created UN Women, the United Nations Entity for Gender Equality and the Empowerment of Women. The creation of UN Women came about as part of the UN reform agenda, bringing together resources and mandates for greater impact. It merges and builds on the important work of four previously distinct parts of the UN system (DAW, OSAGI, INSTRAW and UNIFEM), which focused exclusively on gender equality and women's empowerment.