IT Operations Officer (Technical Team Lead) - NOA - Sana'a
WFP seeks candidates of the highest integrity and professionalism who share our humanitarian principles.
Selection of staff is made on a competitive basis, and we are committed to promoting diversity and gender balance.
The United Nations World Food Programme is the 2020 Nobel Peace Prize Laureate. We are the world’s largest humanitarian organization, saving lives in emergencies and using food assistance to build a pathway to peace, stability and prosperity for people recovering from conflict, disasters and the impact of climate change.
Aiming to feed 13 million of the most vulnerable people with food assistance, WFP’s emergency response in Yemen is the agency’s largest anywhere in the world. WFP also provides nutrition support to 1.7 million children and mothers, and delivers school meals to 850,000 children each day.
These jobs are found in Country Offices (COs), Regional Bureaux (RBs), and Headquarters (HQ). Job holders performing front office management functions typically report to the Division Director or Country Directors. In cases where these positions support a specific business stream, the reporting line may be to the Head of Unit or Chief.
At this level job holders are expected to demonstrate responsibility and initiative to respond independently to queries with only general guidance. They have responsibility for undertaking specialised business support work, such as organisation and coordination of work. There is a requirement to use judgment in dealing with unforeseen problems on a daily basis. Job holders are expected to manage resources, and coach and/or coordinate a team of support staff.
Support, maintain and administrate the beneficiary digital assistance services solutions. Actively contribute to the compilation, analysis, maintenance and reporting of digital data to maximise the delivery of efficient and effective data centres services.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive) Part 1
1. Support the budgeting, planning and deployment of IT and Telecommunications systems that are aligned with business needs, in accordance with WFP corporate standards.
2. Provide support to maintain IT and Telecommunications systems and networks, ensuring appropriate data security and access controls considering both local and wide area network issues; and supporting users to get maximum benefits from them.
3. Install and configure new computer hardware for improving and upgrading system performance; support any technology upgrades as required.
4. Provide data and documentation to support the procurement of TC/IT equipment and services at and in line with WFP rules and regulations.
5. Collate data and contribute to the preparation of accurate reports on IT/TC investments and costs, providing information to inform decision-making by stakeholders.
6. Develop technical skills and knowledge, and build awareness of industry developments.
7. Respond to queries from users, understanding and resolving issues, providing advice and ensuring IT policies, procedures, systems and tools are correctly applied to support them.
8. Guide junior staff, acting as a point of referral and supporting them with analysis and queries.
9. Support the capability building of staff through the organisation and/or review of training programs aimed at developing skills/knowledge in IT and TC.
10. Coordinate with other UN agencies in order to network, align activities and support possibilities of inter-agency collaboration in the field of IT and Telecommunications.
11. Interact effectively with colleagues and user groups to understand their needs and provide appropriate technical support.
12. Follow standard emergency preparedness and contingency planning practices to ensure WFP is able to maintain basic IT services and/or quickly respond and deploy resources to affected areas at the onset of a crisis.
13. Follow operational plans and deliver resource requirements at the onset of an emergency.
14. Other as required.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive) Part 2
- Manage and coordinate a team of IT support staff including the capacity building of staff, to ensure individual and team objectives are met in compliance with all relevant regulations and policies.
- Lead the design of the Data Centres network infrastructure and participate in the design discussion with the counterparts.
- Oversee the installation, Configuration of the servers for End-Points Fleet Management and Financial Transactions and ensure it is aligned with the agreed policies and measures.
- Supervise the maintenance of systems and hardware by team members to ensure technology is running effectively for the field operation.
- Supervise the equipment preparation before deployment in the field and ensure handover of equipment is conducted according to the Standard Operating Procedures.
- Lead the coordination for the manual deduplication process of the registered household between counterparts and WFP team.
- Coordinate with HQ technology advisers and ensure the deployment of the system is conducted in adherent to WFP policies.
- Work closely with the counterparts to ensure continuous functionality of network and systems in the data centres.
- Identify and collect from team members all IT security concerns arise during the implementation and provide immediate solution. Manage the risk registry.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Education: Advanced University degree or University degree with experience and training/courses in one or more of the following disciplines: Computer Science or other relevant field, or First University degree with additional years of related work experience or trainings/courses.
Experience: At least 1 year post-graduate, progressively responsible, job-related experience in statistics, data analysis and science.
Language: Fluency in English (level C written and spoken). Fluency in Arabic (level C written and spoken).
DESIRED EXPERIENCES FOR ENTRY INTO THE ROLE
- Has experience analysing service management results and development service enhancement recommendations.
- Has gained additional exposure building relationships with the business counterparts on key Information Technology initiatives.
- Has experience project managing small size of Information technology initiatives.
- Proved experience with Linux Operating system and Android OS;
- Proven experience in firewalls and design of the network.
4Ps CORE ORGANISATIONAL CAPABILITIES
- Understand and communicate the Strategic Objectives: Understands WFP’s Strategic Objectives and the link to own work objectives.
- Be a force for positive change: Flexibly adapts individual contributions to accommodate changes in direction from supervisors and internal/external changes (such as evolving needs of beneficiaries, new requirements of partners).
- Make the mission inspiring to our team: Recognizes and shares with team members the ways in which individual contributions relate to WFP’s mission.
- Make our mission visible in everyday actions: Sets own goals in alignment with WFP’s overall operations, and is able to communicate this link to others.
- Look for ways to strengthen people's skills: Assesses own strengths and weaknesses to increase self-awareness, and includes these in conversations on own developmental needs.
- Create an inclusive culture: Participates in open dialogue, and values the diverse opinion of others, regardless of background, culture, experience, or country assignment.
- Be a coach & provide constructive feedback: Proactively seeks feedback and coaching to build confidence, and develop and improve individual skills.
- Create an “I will”/”We will” spirit: Participates in accomplishing team activities and goals in the face of challenging circumstances.
- Encourage innovation & creative solutions: Shows willingness to explore and experiment with new ideas and approaches in own work.
- Focus on getting results: Consistently delivers results within individual scope of work on time, on budget and without errors.
- Make commitments and make good on commitments: Commits to upholding individual accountabilities and responsibilities in the face of ever-changing country or functional priorities.
- Be Decisive: Makes rational decisions about individual activities when faced with uncertain circumstances, including in times of ambiguity regarding information or manager direction.
- Connect and share across WFP units: Seeks to understand and adapt to internal or cross-unit teams’ priorities and preferred working styles.
- Build strong external partnerships: Demonstrates ability to understand and appropriately respond to and/or escalate needs of external partners.
- Be politically agile & adaptable: Portrays an informed and professional demeanor toward internal and external partners and stakeholders.
- Be clear about the value WFP brings to partnerships: Provides operational support on analyses and assessments that quantifies and demonstrates WFP’s unique value as a partner.
|Capability Name||Description of the behaviour expected for the proficiency level|
|Governance, Strategy and Architecture||Shares knowledge of IT governance process and system architecture development with team and analyses current designs for improvements and enhancements while ensuring compliance with legislation and specifies any required changes.|
|Change Implementation, Project Management, Planning and Optimization||Utilises working knowledge of project and change management approaches to collect and analyse relevant data from multiple stakeholders to develop evidence-based business case for change.|
|Technical Expertise||Exhibits deep technical knowledge in area of expertise and actively transfers knowledge to strengthen the skill base across the function; considers the most appropriate use of technical resources to ensure skill development and optimization of resource allocation.|
|Service Management||Monitors and supervises maintenance and installation work against the established standards and protocols for service excellence and takes proper actions to correct inconsistencies and improve overall quality and customer satisfaction. Ensures that operational problems are identified and resolved.|
Applies thorough understanding of the business, customers, new IT technologies and techniques to implement improved solutions and define service levels, standards and the monitoring process for client service staff. Exhibits a detailed understanding of customers’ IT requests in order to effectively address and manage internal customers ‘needs. Identifies recurrent issues to propose long-term solutions.
|Procurement and Contract Management||Able to conduct a cost-benefit analysis of alternative technologies and vendor service level agreements to consolidate options and assess suitability.|
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
- The applicant should be a Yemeni national
- Only candidates who are short-listed will be contacted
- Applications must be submitted online with:
- Use English language only
- Indicate all your job TOR
- indicate clear years of experience with each job (Month/Year)
- WFP staff who are still under probation period are not eligible to apply for another FT position.
- WFP staff on FT contracts must have completed one year in the current position to be eligible to apply for another FT position.
- By submitting your application, you have read the Terms of Reference for this position and agree that any false, wrong or incomplete information might lead to your disqualification in this recruitment process.
- Successful candidates vetted as viable candidates through the application process will be retained on internal roster for a two-year period and may be given further consideration for future similar specific position advertised in the duty station.
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS
01 August 2021
WFP never uses external recruitment agencies and recruitment is always is free of charge. WFP seeks candidates of the highest integrity and professionalism who share our humanitarian principles. The selection of staff are made on a competitive basis and we are committed to promoting diversity and gender balance. Only applicants whose profiles meet the advertised job requirements will be considered and only within the announced deadline.
لا يقوم برنامج الأغذية العالمي بالاستعانة ابداً بأشخاص او بوكالات خارجية في التوظيف، علماً بان عملية التوظيف دائماً مجانية. يبحث برنامج الأغذية العالمي عن مرشحين من أعلى درجات النزاهة والكفاءة المهنية والذين يتقاسمون مبادئنا الإنسانية.
يتم اختيار الموظفين على أساس تنافسي ونحن ملتزمون بتعزيز التنوع والتوازن بين الجنسين. سيتم النظر فقط للمتقدمين الذين تفي ملفاتهم الشخصية بمتطلبات الوظيفة المعلن عنها، وفقط خلال الموعد النهائي المعلن
Qualified female applicants are especially encouraged to apply
WFP has zero tolerance for discrimination and does not discriminate on the basis of HIV/AIDS status.
No appointment under any kind of contract will be offered to members of the UN Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions (ACABQ), International Civil Service Commission (ICSC), FAO Finance Committee, WFP External Auditor, WFP Audit Committee, Joint Inspection Unit (JIU) and other similar bodies within the United Nations system with oversight responsibilities over WFP, both during their service and within three years of ceasing that service.