Wichita (United States of America)
The Interpreter provides in-person and/or remote interpretation to facilitate, with accuracy, impartiality, and confidentiality, the language needs of Limited English Proficient (LEP) individuals and their service providers. Activities include providing professional interpretation services, use of software to track assignments, and occasional trainings and assessments.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Provide accurate, impartial, and confidential interpretation to LEP individuals and service providers in a variety of settings, including clinics, hospitals, schools, community-based organizations, and government agencies. Services may be rendered in-person, via telephone, videoconference, or other virtual means.
- Track assignments and work hours within designated software.
- Participate in trainings and assessments.
- May support special projects and initiatives.
- Other duties as assigned.
Education and Certifications:
- High school diploma strongly preferred.
- Interpretation certification preferred.
- Relevant professional interpretation experience preferred.
- Experience working with refugee and/or immigrant populations strongly preferred.
Demonstrated Skills & Competencies:
- Cultural sensitivity; ability to build trust with clients, colleagues, and partners.
- Proficient in English, both spoken and written.
- Spoken proficiency in language(s) spoken by client group is required; including but not limited to Swahili, French, Kinyarwanda, Burmese, Sudanese Arabic, Pashto, Farsi, Dari, Tigrinya, Afar, Amharic, Hindi, Arabic, Somali, Lingala
- Attention to detail and accuracy in work product.
- Basic computer skills (Microsoft Office).
- Reliable transportation to appointment locations.
A combination of standard office environment, remote work, and ‘field’ time within the service delivery area to perform the above outlined responsibilities.
May require occasional weekend and/or evening work.