School Feeding Data Analyst
WFP seeks candidates of the highest integrity and professionalism who share our humanitarian principles
Selection of staff is made on a competitive basis, and we are committed to promoting diversity and gender balance
Job title : School Feeding Data Analyst
Type of Contract: Consultant
Division: SBP – School Feeding Programmes
Duty Station (City, Country): Rome, Italy
Duration: 11 months (September - August 2021)
BACKGROUND AND PURPOSE OF THE ASSIGNMENT:
With over 60 years' experience in School Feeding, WFP has a trajectory of working with more than 100 countries to set up sustainable national school feeding programmes. Today, millions of children living in poor and vulnerable communities don’t have regular access to the nutritious food they need to stay healthy and thrive. This affects their physical and mental development and can keep them from finishing school and building the strong future they deserve.
WFP advocates for the universal adoption of school feeding programmes as a safety net that helps increase children’s access to education and learning opportunities and strengthens their health and nutrition status. WFP focuses increasingly on helping countries to establish and maintain high quality nationally owned programmes. In countries still requiring WFP’s operational support, it implements high quality school feeding programmes with clear hand over strategies.
One of WFP's efforts to improve programme quality is the developing and rollout of a school feeding digital platform to increase near real-time data availability from operations and enable better and quicker decision making. Many of these solutions are focusing on WFP operations but they can eventually be linked with national reporting and monitoring systems in support of government-led programmes. Thus, WFP is fostering digital solutions for attendance tracking, monitoring of meals served, and stock management in schools. In addition, an integrated dashboard will support country offices to improve their programme quality where needed.
As data analyst in the school-based programmes team you will gain experience in the humanitarian and development sector by working and contributing to a multidisciplinary team. You will support improving real-time information for school based programmes and support the roll out of the school feeding strategy.
Through your "hands on" and "make it happen" attitude and by sharing your own thoughts and ideas with the team, you will contribute significantly to advancing school feeding programmes worldwide and ensuring that every child has the opportunity to reach their full potential and thrive.
You will work under the direct supervision of the Head of Programme Support in the School Based Programme Division.
- Coordinate information and data gap mapping exercise with WFP's Research Assessment and Monitoring Service (RAM), WFP’s Cooperate Planning and Performance Service (CPP), Regional Bureaux and Country Offices, analyze findings, provide recommendations, and develop implementation plan, including dashboard training programmes.
- Maintain SBP dashboard and processes to consolidate data related school feeding interventions in WFP country strategic plans and retrieve secondary data i.e., AU, Country Governments, education data from UNESCO Institute for Statistic (UIS), UNICEF database relevant to regional and country-level School Feeding programmes.
- Align with relevant teams within WFP (PRO, FINS and CPPI) to consolidate and estimate School Feeding expenditures, contributions, needs based plan and net funding requirements.
- Map data points from existing qualitative reports such as Country Briefs, Situation reports, Executive briefs, Pipeline Narrative, etc… and set up process to retrieve qualitative information from them.
- Produce data analysis for improving programme quality in areas of nutrition, Home-grown school feeding; Consistent service delivery, feeding days and pipeline; Net Funding Requirements; etc.
- Define data points and produce the consolidated figures of people who benefited from the partnership with Stop Hunger and prepare presentations on key messages for high level meetings, steering committees, and key communication material.
- Design School Connect dashboards in Tableau as required, train and backstop regional bureaux and country office on the set-up and use of School Connect.
- Support backstopping of at least one regional bureau.
- Support the design and development of a front-end User Interface for a Global School Feeding database, in coordination with the Research and Policy workstream in SBP, WFP IT, African Union and partners.
- Any other business as required.
- Implementation Plan to overcome information gaps and allow for better and quicker decision of relevant managers developed, including training plan.
- SBP Dashboard up to date
- Front end solution for global school feeding database in place and linkages with relevant external and internal data sources established.
- Unbundling methodology to estimate expenditures, contributions, needs based plan and net funding requirements for School Feeding streamlined.
- Data points from existing WFP internal qualitative reports mapped and process to retrieve qualitative information set up.
- 10 analytical reports for selected areas produced and accessible in dashboards.
- Reporting and senior level engagement in support of Stop Hunger Partnership prepared in timely manner.
- Regional bureau teams and at least 10 country offices trained and backstopped on use of School Connect, including tableau dashboard.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
Master’s degree in international affairs, economics, engineering, business administration, business analytics, computer sciences or other relevant fields.
Minimum 3 years of relevant professional experience
Knowledge and Skills:
Proven analytical skills, particularly in data analysis.
Experience working with large data sets and summarizing data for business.
Prior experience with business analysis, process mapping, data extraction and analysis, presenting to senior management is a plus.
Expertise with data visualization software (Tableau, Power Bi, others)
Proficiency with Excel
Exposure to WFP systems and data technologies (Tableau Prep, Palantir Foundry, COMET, SAP, others).
Excellent information technology skills (Microsoft Office Package, SharePoint, Teams)
Strong attention to details
Strong communication skills and able to communicate with a range of technical experts and non-technical staff effectively.
Good interpersonal skills and ability to work in multicultural settings.
Fluency in English and one other UN language.
Terms and Conditions
WFP offers a competitive compensation package which will be determined by the contract type and selected candidate’s qualifications and experience.
Please visit the following websites for detailed information on working with WFP.
http://www.wfp.org Click on: “Our work” and “Countries” to learn more about WFP’s operations.
Deadline for applications: 31 July 2021
Ref.: VA No. 144512
Qualified female applicants and qualified applicants from developing countries are especially encouraged to apply
WFP has zero tolerance for discrimination and does not discriminate on the basis of HIV/AIDS status
No appointment under any kind of contract will be offered to members of the UN Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions (ACABQ), International Civil
Service Commission (ICSC), FAO Finance Committee, WFP External Auditor, WFP Audit Committee, Joint Inspection Unit (JIU) and other similar bodies within the United Nations
system with oversight responsibilities over WFP, both during their service and within three years of ceasing that service.