Project Management Support - Officer - (Internal candidates only)
Background Information - Job-specific
Background Information – Kenya Multi Country Office (KEMCO)
Located in Nairobi, Kenya, the Kenya Multi Country Office manages a growing portfolio of engagements, including associated strategic and operational risks. The KEMC sub-region currently consists of an established Operation Centre in Nairobi/Kenya which manages a portfolio of engagements in multiple countries in East and South Africa. This includes transactional projects in partnership with the Nairobi based UN Agencies, UN-Habitat and UNEP, and multiple ‘operational’ projects in Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania, Zimbabwe, Zambia, Mozambique and island states.
The TSU currently has 15 permanent and 40+ retainer personnel including architects, civil engineers, structural engineers, mechanical engineers, electrical engineers, quantity surveyors, GIS and specialist infrastructure advisors (for dams, ICT and biomedical works) and CAD technicians as well as support personnel. Current projects are underway / imminent in Kenya, Somalia, Tanzania, Uganda, Zimbabwe, Sierra Leone, ESwatini, Zambia, Mozambique and Cameroon. During 2020, upwards of 70 requisitions were signed for work on the African continent.
The Project Support officer (PSO) reports to the Technical Services Unit (TSU) Manager who provides broad supervision and guidance. The role is responsible for supporting the TSU manager with the day-to-day operations of the unit and coordinating unit processes and personnel, reporting and the administration required to ensure the team’s smooth implementation of design projects. S/he maintains control on the operational and financial performance, identifies potential issues that may need attention, analyses problems and identifies solutions as necessary, coordinates the resolution of all assigned action items, prepares correspondence to relevant stakeholders and regular project board reports. The environment can be complex and challenging with limited resources.
- Project Implementation
- Financial and procurement management
- Project Monitoring and Reporting
- Coordination and liaison
- Knowledge management and innovation
- Operational and logistical support
- Support the Project Manager in ensuring UNOPS Policies and Procedures, Financial Rules and Regulations (FR&R) are adhered to for efficient project implementation and progress; \
- Monitor project Financials and advise the Project Manager accordingly;
- Track expenditure and take relevant action when required to revise budgets (realignment and amendment);
- Monitor and record best practices and innovative approaches within UNOPS FR&R; identify and show alternative options according to Activity needs;
- Managing information flows and overseeing change controls, risk registers and issue management; document and feedback lessons learned and best practices;
- Supporting the project planning process;
- Maintenance of all supporting project financial documents for audit and review processes;
- Management of work packages within the project as and when required;
- Assist the Project manager in monitoring of the project quality indicators and undertaking regular assurance tasks on behalf of the Project Manager;
- Supervise Project Assistant(s) within the Team, to ensure work efficiency and quality at all times
Financial and procurement management
- Maintain all supporting project financial documents for audit and review processes.
- Ensure accurate data entry into UNOPS ERP (Enterprise Resource Planning) system to ensure real time tracking and asset management under the project activities;
- Monitor project budget and financial expenditure and all administrative procedures in line with the workplan.
- Process direct payments and advance requests and prepare project budget revisions.
- Produce financial reports; including developing financial monitoring and reporting formats as per UNOPS requirements.
- Support the Project Manager by monitoring budgets, preparing budget forecasts and cash flows and reporting on expense obligations to ensure that deliverables are met.
- Review weekly activity reports and quarterly financial reports with respect to outputs based on work plans and budget forecasts
- Alert the Project Manager or any financial shortfalls and over-expenditures.
- Propose budget revision and initiate corrective action when necessary.
- Coordinate vendor communications, meetings, and reports as necessary
- In consultation with the relevant stakeholders, assist in preparing amendments of Agreements and Budget revisions when applicable;
Project monitoring and reporting
- Provide substantive inputs to assist the Project Manager in the preparation of project reports and documents.
- Maintain records of project files and other supporting documents.
- Maintain the following records: Quality Register, Configuration Item Records and all other registers/logs delegated by the Project Manager;
- Support the Project Manager in maintaining the following: (i.) Electronic Blue File and (ii.) Procurement, HR and Finance files as required by Organizational Directive (OD) 12.
- Manage the compilation, consolidation and analysis of relevant data of the unit.
- Assist the Project Manager in the preparation of project completion reports and ensure compliance with contractual obligations.
- On behalf of the Project and as directed by the Project Manager, participate in periodic visits to the project sites
Coordination and Liaison
- Contract management of all contracts (Procurement, HR, Service Contracts etc) under the Project
- Liaise with finance and logistics/procurement units in tracking commitments and disbursements.
- Proactively coordinate/liaise with support units on all administrative matters related to contract management
- Liaise with the Programme Management Office (PMO) Team Members to complete project assurance related tasks.
Knowledge management and innovation
- Support the compilation of lessons learned as per defined reporting format.
- Contribute to the dissemination and sharing of best practices and lessons learned for planning and knowledge building.
- Contribute to expertise in tools and techniques
- Assist the Technical Services Unit Manager in the preparation of the TSU Business plan and propose solutions on advertising the TSU to gain more exposure in Africa for Projects
Operational and Logistic Support
- Assist the Project Manager in monitoring all HR requirements and related activities under the Project
- Assist in the preparation of Terms of Reference (ToR) for required inputs in the projects (sta, individual and institutional consultancy services, procurement of goods and services, organization of training, seminars, etc.), with expert and/or client support as required;
- Providing induction briefings to newly recruited staff and render support to consultants in the course of their assignment;
- In accordance with UN and UNOPS Security Policies, manage travel for all personnel in the Project Team
- Organize all project and stakeholder meetings as and when necessary, and maintain records of these meetings.
- Identify operational, administrative, financial and other bottlenecks that may impede project delivery; recommend solutions and take appropriate remedial action in consultation with the Project Manager
- Establish and monitor an internal control system for all administrative actions
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Project Manager
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration, Finance, Logistics, Emergency Management, International Relations or other relevant field is required;
- A Master’s degree in Business Administration, Finance, Logistics, Emergency Management, International Relations or other relevant field is desired but not required.
- A minimum of 2 years relevant and progressive professional experience, specifically in the field of Infrastructure related Project Management support is required;
- Experience in humanitarian emergency operating contexts, including humanitarian coordination mechanisms, donors, security, and operations management is an asset;
- Minimum of two year experience and demonstrated knowledge of accounting and Finance in the UN system is required;
- Experience in procedures in UN Procurement, HR Management and administrative rules and regulations is desired.
- Fluency in oral and written English is required.
|Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion. |
|Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.|
|Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).|
|Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.|
|Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.|
|Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.|
|Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.|
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- UNOPS seeks to reasonably accommodate candidates with special needs, upon request.
- Work life harmonization - UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- For retainer contracts, you must complete a few Mandatory Courses (around 4 hours) in your own time, before providing services to UNOPS.
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns. Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
- Please note this vacancy is only open to personnel on a UNOPS regular contract
- This is a local post. As such, it is only open to Kenyan nationals or persons with valid residence permits.
- This position is based in a family duty station
Contract type, level and duration
Contract type: Individual Contractor AgreementContract level: Local ICA -8 Specialist
Contract duration: Ongoing ICA – ‘Open-ended, subject to organizational requirements, availability of funds and satisfactory performance.’
For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link:
Background Information - UNOPS
UNOPS is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to help people build better lives and countries achieve sustainable development.
UNOPS areas of expertise cover infrastructure, procurement, project management, financial management and human resources.
Working with us
UNOPS offers short- and long-term work opportunities in diverse and challenging environments across the globe. We are looking for creative, results-focused professionals with skills in a range of disciplines.
With over 4,000 UNOPS personnel and approximately 7,000 personnel recruited on behalf of UNOPS partners spread across 80 countries, our workforce represents a wide range of nationalities and cultures. We promote a balanced, diverse workforce — a strength that helps us better understand and address our partners’ needs, and continually strive to improve our gender balance through initiatives and policies that encourage recruitment of qualified female candidates.
Work life harmonization
UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands.