Goma (Congo Democratic)
NRC has been present in DRC since 2001 and runs operations in the eastern provinces of North & South Kivu, Tanganyika and Kasai, implementing Education, Food Security, WASH, Shelter and ICLA. The Country Office has been expanding steadily the past two years and the team currently consists of around 400 staff members. The DR Congo's is one of NRC's largest Country Operations with an overall budget of approx. 300 mill NOK.
The Country maintains a rapid, integrated emergency response capacity while also focusing on facilitating durable solutions to displacement. NRC is also implementing an innovative project on humanitarian mediation, piloting new approaches to improve protection of civilians’ conflict prevention and mitigation.
The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is committed to fulfil its compliance obligations and requirements in order to mitigate risk, increase accountability and improve programme quality. Recognizing the high-risk of non-compliance for NRC in DRC, the Country Office is committed to establishing and implementing a compliance framework based on risk management and quality improvement in 2019.
The purpose of this position is to coordinate the support functions, in the Area Office. This position will have a strong focus on support, legal and program compliance.
1. Role and responsibilities
The purpose of the Support Manager is to coordinate the support functions at Area level with a strong focus on support, legal and program compliance.
- Compliance with and adherence to NRC policies, guidance and handbooks and donor/auditor requirements
- Ensure high quality support is provided to project implementation for quality of projects
- Management of the Area Support Coordinator, and oversight of support functions: HR, logistics and finance
- Ensure capacity building of relevant staff and transfer key skills
- Provide regular progress reports to the Area Manager and the Head of Support
- Foster an organizational culture related to ethics, compliance and quality
- Strengthen understanding and adherence to NRC’s policies, donor and regulatory obligations and requirements
- Lead the development and implementation of a compliance management program, including technical and compliance management of the Support department
- Lead the development, implementation and follow up of tools and methods to strengthen compliance and quality in the delegated area
- Based on NRC’s internal handbooks, policies, and procedures, as well as donor and legal regulations, manage tools and methods for independent, systematized compliance checks on high-risk issues, particularly related to programme implementation and legal issues
- Management and capacity building of the Support in order to ensure compliance, risk mitigation, quality and operational efficiency
- Implement compliance checks in the Area Office, providing regular reports to the Area Manager and the Head of Support.
- Provide communications and training modules on ethics, risk management and compliance, to strengthen the organizational culture in the area
- Monitor, analyse, and produce recommendations related to potential legal liabilities in the area
- Contribute to the development of adequate compliance, risk mitigation and quality control mechanisms of NRC operations
- Participate in major cash and voucher distributions and ensure respect of SOPs
- Participate in internal investigations, as and if required
By interfaces, NRC means processes and projects that are interlinked with other departments/units or persons. Relevant interfaces for this position are:
- Support (Finance, Logistics, HR): Head of Support, Finance manager, Logistics manager, HR manager in the Country Office
- Programme: Head of Program, Grants Manager, M&E Manager in the Country Office
1. Professional competencies
These are skills, knowledge and experience that are important for effective performance.
Generic professional competencies:
- Minimum of 3 years of humanitarian management experience or experience in a support function (finance, RH, Logistics) with a good understanding of all 3 support functions
- Experience in compliance and quality including an oversight and control role
- Experience from working in complex and volatile environments
- Sound knowledge of humanitarian accountability principles, norms and rules
- Knowledge about own leadership skills/profile
- Fluency in English and French, both written and verbal
Context/Specific skills, knowledge and experience:
- Ability to handle competing priorities
- Empowering and building trust
- Initiating action and change
- Ability to live and work in complex and volatile environment and to cope with stress
- Professional working knowledge of Swahili preferred
2. Behavioural competencies
These are personal qualities that influence how successful people are in their job. The following behavioural competencies are essential for this position:
- Analytical thinking
- Working with people
- Planning and delivering results
- Managing resources to optimize results
- Communicating with impact and respect
- Handling insecure environments
- Performance Management
The employee will be accountable for the responsibilities and the competencies, in accordance with the NRC Performance Management Manual. The following documents will be used for performance reviews:
- The Job Description
- The Work and Development Plan
- The Mid-term/End-of-trial Period Performance Review Template
- The End-term Performance Review Template
- The NRC Competency Framework