Food Safety and Quality Specialist
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Please note that Closure Date and Time displayed above are based on date and time settings of your personal device
- FAO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality, background, and culture
- Qualified female applicants, qualified nationals of non-and under-represented member nations, and person with disabilities are encouraged to apply
- Everyone who works for FAO is required to adhere to the highest standards of integrity and professional conduct and to uphold our values. FAO has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and FAO, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority, and discrimination
- All selected candidates, therefore, will undergo rigorous reference and background checks
- All applications will be treated with the strictest confidentiality
- The incumbent may be re-assigned to different activities and/or duty stations depending on the evolving needs of the Organization
The position is located within the Food Systems and Food Safety Division (ESF), Economic and Social Development Stream. The Division supports a coordinated approach to the development of food systems, including inter alia, engagement in global level dialogue, platform and initiatives, the strengthening of food safety and quality at national, regional and international levels, the development of sustainable food value chains, reductions in food loss and waste and the implementation of the urban food agenda.
The consultant / PSA will perform his/her duties under the overall direction of the Senior Food Safety Officer, ESF and work in close collaboration of the Food Safety Officer(s), and in consultation with other relevant ESF technical officers.
The work covered by the vacancy announcement is anchored in the current notion of food safety with a food chain lens, as a support to resilient sustainable agri-food systems, and a risk based approach to food controls.
Tasks and responsibilities
Candidates will support, lead or execute one or more of the following tasks:
• Review approaches and practical arrangements for official ( national) food control systems, or parts thereof, and provide recommendations for improvement;
• Lead or support, as a team member, the assessment of national food control systems, using FAO approaches, such as the FAO/WHO food control system assessment tool and guide strategic discussions for determining priorities and planning progressive improvement of the national food control capacities;
• Review food safety and quality policies, and lead or provide support to their (re)formulation, using evidence based approaches;
• Contribute to the technical review of legal frameworks applicable for food control;
• Provide support or lead the design and implementation of events such as workshops and training courses for capacity development aimed at strengthening national food control systems, on various specific aspects (e.g. practical use of the risk analysis framework to support decision making; risk based approaches for domestic and /or import inspection; risk communication; food safety emergency preparedness and response, analytical capacities);
• Assess national capacities with regard to Codex Alimentarius work and provide specific recommendations for improved involvement in Codex Alimentarius processes;
• Provide guidance to countries in the implementation of Codex Trust Fund Diagnostic tool.
• Provide guidance on strengthening food safety risk assessment processes in microbiological, chemical or other risk disciplines as necessary, as well as use of the risk analysis framework by food control authorities;
• Support programmes and projects aiming at data collection and analysis to support scientific advice
• Provide support to the development of strategy to data collection in selected countries on priority food safety and Codex Alimentarius related issues.
• Support the implementation of programmes and projects aiming at improved development and uptake of risk based official food controls, including the set up of safety regulations
• Support the implementation of food safety management systems (such as Good Hygienic Practices, Pre-Requisite Programmes and HACCP) along value chains;
• Develop food safety and food control training materials and curricula, including for academic use and on the job professional learning;
• Formulate projects or programmes aiming at strengthening food control systems, or parts thereof, using the logical framework approach or similar approaches;
• Provide overall support to food control capacity development programmes, including monitoring and reporting activities.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
• University degree in food safety, veterinary science, food science, or a related matter.
• From one to fifteen years of relevant experience in one or more areas related to food safety and quality, such as official food control systems, food control policy, governance, policy analysis, food control programme management, food safety assurance in small and medium size food producing enterprises, and/or large food producing businesses, food safety risk analysis, food safety/food control project activities
• Working knowledge of English, French or Spanish and limited knowledge of one of the other two or Arabic, Chinese, Russian for Consultants. Working knowledge of one FAO language for PSA.
FAO Core Competencies
• Results Focus
• Building Effective Relationships
• Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
Please note that all candidates should adhere to FAO Values of Commitment to FAO, Respect for All and Integrity and Transparency