Project Communications and External Relations Officer (NPSA7)
UNDP is the UN's global development network, an organization advocating for change and connecting countries to knowledge, experience and resources to help build nations that can withstand crisis and support their efforts to implement the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development and achieve the new Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). UNDP works in nearly 170 countries and territories, helping to achieve the eradication of poverty, and the reduction of inequalities and exclusion. We help countries to develop policies, leadership skills, partnering abilities, institutional capabilities and build resilience in order to sustain development results.
The UNDP Regional Bureau for Africa has identified partnerships and communications as a core strategic area of growth in support of its work in the Africa region. Focus on this area is motivated by the new demands posed by the 2030 and 2063 Agendas, which require of concerted actions from all development actors, in order to achieve their ambitious goals for socioeconomic transformation and sustainable development.
In Rwanda, UNDP is committed to contribute to the attainment of the above ambitious agendas and the objectives set out in the n 2018-2023 Country Programme Document. In doing so, UNDP Rwanda will support Rwanda to achieve the country's new Vision 2050 and the new National Strategy for Transformation (NST 2017-2024). Building on the previous cycle, UNDP Rwanda will enhance those achievements and use the lessons learnt to strive and accomplish the objectives in this new development cycle. With the continuous support from our partners, the Government of Rwanda, and the Rwandan people, UNDP, supports entrepreneurships and creation of decent jobs for young women and men, promotes accountability, sustainability, environmental conservation, gender equality and ensuring the rights and inclusion of all citizens in democratic governance institutions. UNDP Rwanda will also align its support with the national recovery plan from the COVID19 pandemic.
To achieve the above mission, UNDP Rwanda is poised to enhance its visibility and the visibility of its partners on the implementation of different projects and the outreach to key stakeholders and public at large.
Therefore, UNDP Rwanda is looking for a competent, dedicated, experienced, highly skilled Project Communications and External Relations Officer. The Project Communications and External Relations Officer will boost the country office capacity in communication for results while increasing the visibility of UNDP and its partners. The Project Communications and External Relation Officer is client-, solution-, and result-oriented, while providing high quality, timely services with value for money and in line with UNDP policies and procedures on communications and external relations. The Project Communication and External Relations Officer works hand in hand with other Communication and project colleagues to ensure that UNDP’s quality, timely, efficient delivery on which the Project Communications and External Officer’s success will eventually be measured.
Duties and Responsibilities
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the direct supervision of the UNDP Resident Representative and the overall guidance of the Head of Communications unit of UNDP, the Project Communications and External Relations Officer is responsible for effective, efficient, and timely planning, execution of communications and external relations of Projects mainly those funded by the Government of the Republic of Korea through the office of the Korea International Cooperation Agency (KOICA) in Rwanda. He/she analyzes and interprets the communications and external relations needs and opportunities, provides solutions to a wide spectrum of complex communications and external relations issues. He/she is responsible for the design, management and implementation projects’ communications and external relations strategies which are geared to showcase the Government of KOREA’s project achievements and lesson learned and promote public and media outreach.
The Project Communications and External Relations Officer has an authoritative knowledge on communications and external relations planning and management, policies, and procedures as well as a strong understanding of project management. He or she is skilled and confident in analyzing, providing input and options, and suggestions for solutions on communications and external relations-related matters. He or she is having the technical skills and a broad picture of the work. He or she is able to work independently and as a team.
Functions / Key Results Expected
1. Plan and design of internal and external strategies for communications and outreach focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Understanding of the target audience of the communications, such as donors, governments, public at large, etc. and strategize and plan accordingly. Designing and implementing the communication strategies of the joint youth programme and the KOICA funded ’Support to Scaling-up YouthConnekt initiative in Rwanda’’ project. Preparing and conducting communications need assessment for UNDP Projects with special emphasis on those funded by the Government of the Republic of Korea.
- Drafting/editing communications and outreach strategy based on the CO and corporate communications strategies and in consultation with communication Analyst in Country Office (CO) and relevant donors.
- Developing strategy to integrate advocacy and communications strategies into all aspects of UNDP Projects during activity formulations in consultation with project teams and Communication Analyst.
- Implementation of project’s publications strategy and plan, based on corporate publications policy and donor requirements.
- Coordination and management of UNDP’s and donors’ visibility, such as content management, norms for publishing, design, etc.
- Maintaining and updating network of supplier to ensure production and ensure publications dissemination.
2. Content creation and maintenance of the CO website and intranet in coordination with CO communication team focusing on the achievement of the following results:
Supervising the design and maintenance of the website based on corporate requirements in co-operation with Country Office’s communication team and ICT staff
Preparing the content for the websites and relevant information to ensure consistency of the materials.
- Updating the website of UNDP on regular basis,
- Preparing and reviewing Newsletters and success stories to promote the results of work of UNDP and its development partners especially Embassy of the republic of Korea,
- Contributing to the design and others communication material like brochures, banners etc.
3. Supports the business development focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Launches and campaigns
- Promoting and maintaining the public information campaign on activities/outputs of projects.
- Packaging and submission of project initiatives for donor review in collaboration with project’s staff and supervisor,
- Designing the UNDP communication promotion material,
Drafting the office Newsletter on quarterly basis
- Maintenance of increased coverage and understanding of UNDP’s work in the country or practice area through regular media contacts and provision of newsworthy information to national public and, where possible, donors.
- Organization of roundtable discussions, press conferences, briefing sessions, interviews, launches, etc.
- Availability of access for journalists to subject matter experts.
- Preparation of donor reports, civic education and community awareness where appropriate to support projects.
- Public Information
- Effective responses to inquiries for public information materials.
- Contributing content to Country Office newsletter to donors, providing finished materials on projects to the newsletter.
-Impact of Results
The key results have an impact on the overall UNDP Projects efficiency in project communication implementation and success in introduction and implementation of communication strategies.
Competencies and Critical Success Factors
Building Strategic Partnerships
Innovation and Marketing New Approaches
Resource Mobilization (Field Duty Stations)
Promoting Organizational Learning and Knowledge Sharing
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise
Required Skills and Experience
Required Skills and Experience